Coaches "are intent on filling two more scholarships." | The Boneyard

Coaches "are intent on filling two more scholarships."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After Miller's commitment today UCONN has two more scholarships left and as per Dom in his article (http://touch.courant.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83332393/) Ollie intends to use both for next year.

I am little surprised but if true, combined with Ollie's earlier statements about closing in on some recruits soon, it looks like we will have some more good news for next year's team coming in the next few weeks.

I am sure the next two scholarships will address 1) BALL HANDLING current team's biggest weakness; Adams has real nice handle but I don't want a freshman being our only primary ball handler (don't really trust TSam and jury is still out on Cassell Jr), would be great if we could get a more experienced ball handler to help Adams and 2) perimeter shooting.

Reaction Score
Harris is likely out right? Are they on the kid from VTech? I need answers ya'll my Saturday night hasn't been that eventful.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Harris is likely out right? Are they on the kid from VTech? I need answers ya'll my Saturday night hasn't been that eventful.

Harris isn't officially out. I actually don't think he has other visits scheduled. Miller probably will have some effect on him, but that depends on what role Harris wants to play. If he's content to be a backup SF/catch-and-shoot guy, we still have room for him. However if he wants to be more of a stretch 4, he'd be kind of redundant.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Id rather not use the scholarships just for the sake of using them. If it came to giving them out to projects like Michael Bradley or Ben Eaves, id rather not use them
As with the "banking two scholarships for no reason" fiction, I'd trust that we're also not going to use them just for the sake of using them.

caw

Reaction Score
Id rather not use the scholarships just for the sake of using them. If it came to giving them out to projects like Michael Bradley or Ben Eaves, id rather not use them

True but there are some good transfers and 5th year graduate transfers who are still out there.

Reaction Score
Calhoun always used all his scholarships. The last scholarships sometimes worked out an sometimes didn't.

Reaction Score
After Miller's commitment today UCONN has two more scholarships left and as per Dom in his article (http://touch.courant.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83332393/) Ollie intends to use both for next year.

I am little surprised but if true, combined with Ollie's earlier statements about closing in on some recruits soon, it looks like we will have some more good news for next year's team coming in the next few weeks.

I am sure the next two scholarships will address 1) BALL HANDLING current team's biggest weakness; Adams has real nice handle but I don't want a freshman being our only primary ball handler (don't really trust TSam and jury is still out on Cassell Jr), would be great if we could get a more experienced ball handler to help Adams and 2) perimeter shooting.
If true interesting to hear. One has to be a guard. We will have Omar, Nolan, and Miller as Sr's. I'm sure one of the two other guys will be a 5th year transfer also. So that will leave 4 spots for 16'-17'. If Dham leaves then that will be 5 spots. We have plenty of spots open for next year even if we get two more Freshmen. But they better not be reaches like the Rock or PN and TS.

caw

Reaction Score
mack!!!

Would be a good pick up and fit but I don't think it's in the cards. There have been zero reports of UConn being involved this time around. Of course Daniels was a mystery recruit also, so here's hoping.

Mack has taken all his officials prior to committing to VCU so he would either have to unofficially visit Texas or commit without seeing it. I would bet on South Carolina or Georgia.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know where Tyler Harris fits after Miller commits - we seem to be covered there between Hamilton, Miller and Facey.

You would think that a shooter or ball handler would be a priority, but they don't seem to have given much of a chase to anyone fitting that description lately. The three kids who bailed on their commitments lately - Mack, Sampson and Williams - seem to be off the radar.

Something would have to come out of the clouds similar to Duke getting Antonio Vrankovic, whoever the hell that is.

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
Something would have to come out of the clouds similar to Duke getting Antonio Vrankovic, whoever the hell that is.

Is this kid's father someone important or is there just not that much video on him? He looks terrible.

Reaction Score
Calhoun always used all his scholarships. The last scholarships sometimes worked out an sometimes didn't.

Maybe it's just my perception but used on lots of guys that really hurt the APR. Guys like Darius Smith, Antonio Kellogg, etc. when we had those large recruiting years (6 open I think). Maybe it's not worth filling the roster for bad fits. Then again, guys like Austrie worked.

Reaction Score
Team needs a zone buster. 5th year guy seems perfect.

Mack must not have handled the decision well with the UConn staff, he must have really pissed in their Cheerios! To finish likely second and not even try a few months later, still has me perplexed unless it was the scenario I laid out.

If DHam goes pro they will have a lot of scholarships in a year as someone pointed out so in a perfect world they would find a solid recruit at the wing or somewhere that can come off bench and be a starter in year two. Tons of musical chairs coaching changes but not much seemingly interests them in the new players hitting the market. The one VCU guard would have been nice to go after.

I'm guessing they knew Miller was likely in the fold so they knew they had the four solved. Really glad they didn't have to get Harris and his sideshow of a dad. Enoch hopefully or a senior Facey can take that spot when Miller finishes his eligibility.

Miller commit really eases things for now, but I am bullish on next year too, and think that zone buster is critical.

Reaction Score
I recall the year Napier was recruited, he was a late add. Didn't he move up a year to join the huskies?
Is it possible Ollie could be looking at 2016 recruit that might be available now?

caw

Reaction Score
I recall the year Napier was recruited, he was a late add. Didn't he move up a year to join the huskies?
Is it possible Ollie could be looking at 2016 recruit that might be available now?

There are only two I've heard that mentioned about recently in general that are considering reclassifying and neither is highly considering UConn (as far as I have heard). Both would fill guard holes though.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's just my perception but used on lots of guys that really hurt the APR. Guys like Darius Smith, Antonio Kellogg, etc. when we had those large recruiting years (6 open I think). Maybe it's not worth filling the roster for bad fits. Then again, guys like Austrie worked.

Kellogg was ranked in top 100, no?

Reaction Score
He did move up. I remember asking Evan Daniels if scout was going to rerank him or even do an article but they preferred having an Elon commit up on the Scout home page.

Reaction Score
I don't think we've been linked to these guys but my unofficial wish list of guys to fill those last two spots. (All are 5th year immediate play guys)

1. SG Adam Smith (VT)
2. SG Sterling Smith (Coppin State)
3. C Kenyatta Smith (Harvard)
4. C Rafael Maia (Brown)
5. PG Alex Mitola (Darmouth)
6. PG Derrick Gordon (UMASS)

Reaction Score
We are supposed to be leading for Gilbert and it would be no shock if he committed one of the scholarships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom