Coached or played basketball. | The Boneyard

Coached or played basketball.

Reaction Score
So many "Monday night coaches" and critics here on the forum. Just wondering who has coached or played.
I played in many leagues but never high school or college (circumstances had me working from the age of 12) but I did coach girls JV/Varsity for 15 years. Love the game and the way it's played under the rim. I prefer to watch the women anyday, especially Uconn

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
CYO, high school, one year college (when freshmen played on freshman team), had to give it up in college because too much overlap with baseball. Rec leagues in Virginia and Connecticut until age 48, countless additional hours of pickup ball. Gym rat. Never coached hoops though, did coach baseball.

Always loved to play full court game, press and fast break, passing and cutting, so not surprising I love the way UConn WBB plays.

Reaction Score
I played (not well) and refereed (even less well), but I'm not sure this is the right question, frankly. I've never been president of the United States, but I certainly have my (impeccable) opinions about how the country ought to be run. And opinions on pretty much everything else. And I recognize that others have the right to their own (mostly wrong compared to mine of course) opinions on just about every subject.

I agree that as a sports fan some sort of expertise can be important. And that is usually the result of personal experience more than of study. But I think there are two sensibilities at play here that produce our different outlooks, regardless of our differing experiences.
1. a fundamental sense of humility about just how hard it is to play basketball consistently well. Of course, that humility is easiest gain through personal experience. But you don't need to be a violinist to appreciate how hard it is to play a violin at master level. Frankly, you just need imagination.
2. different temperaments. some folks see the glass half empty, others half full. No bridging that divide: it's just the way the world turns.

There's no answer, I don't think, for the broadly-sketched differences between those posters who are more critical or pessimistic, and those who are just less so. I don't think that expertise necessarily makes you one or the other. Temperament does.

Reaction Score
I played (not well) and refereed (even less well), but I'm not sure this is the right question, frankly. I've never been president of the United States, but I certainly have my (impeccable) opinions about how the country ought to be run. And opinions on pretty much everything else. And I recognize that others have the right to their own (mostly wrong compared to mine of course) opinions on just about every subject.

I agree that as a sports fan some sort of expertise can be important. And that is usually the result of personal experience more than of study. But I think there are two sensibilities at play here that produce our different outlooks, regardless of our differing experiences.
1. a fundamental sense of humility about just how hard it is to play basketball consistently well. Of course, that humility is easiest gain through personal experience. But you don't need to be a violinist to appreciate how hard it is to play a violin at master level. Frankly, you just need imagination.
2. different temperaments. some folks see the glass half empty, others half full. No bridging that divide: it's just the way the world turns.

There's no answer, I don't think, for the broadly-sketched differences between those posters who are more critical or pessimistic, and those who are just less so. I don't think that expertise necessarily makes you one or the other. Temperament does.
Well said.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
CYA league, JV & varsity high school, intramural college, player/coach industrial league & local recreation center leagues until at 36 while guarding a early 20 year old I was faked out so badly I fell and broke a wrist. I decided I no longer had the reflexes and quickness to compete. I retired to golf and bowling.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Sounds like you support the theory that says: "Those who can do. Those who can't coach. Those who never did just have opinions." Of course those who could will always claim their playing and coaching experience makes their inputs far more valuable and correct. :D:rolleyes:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sounds like you support the theory that says: "Those who can do. Those who can't coach. Those who never did just have opinions." Of course those who could will always claim their playing and coaching experience makes their inputs far more valuable and correct. :D:rolleyes:
...along with the people who start their sentences "I've been a fan since..." as though sitting in front of the TV makes them experts.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Played freshman, JV and varsity in high school. Was tough being a backup center at 6' 1" to a 7' center. Played intramural in college freshman year. Did a little assistant coaching for girl's frosh team for a couple of years.

Depending on your experiences, playing and coaching gives you insights into how things go on and off the court.

Reaction Score
I played for about 40 years. High School, summer pro/ams, various mens league and tournaments throughout New England. At 6ft 1in I played both guard positions and sf. I coached about 30 years. High School, travel and AAU both male and female. Prefer female because They want to learn about the game! Male players in high school all think they are going league and they are 12th player on a 12 man roster!

Reaction Score
Played through high school level then intramural and adult leagues until giving it up at 53. Coached at junior high/freshman level for 10 years, refereed a little.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I played various sports through college, coached and refereed some after college, I’m not sure that’s necessarily the most relevant factor when it comes to commenting on games.

What is relevant, imo, is whether or not you’re just a casual fan who reacts emotionally to a game or do you take the time to break down what’s going on, while reading, listening and learning what knowledgeable experts have to say.

For me, the answer is both. When I watch a UConn game live, I’m emotionally invested in the outcome, and it’s difficult to be objective. The next day, or soon thereafter, I always watch the game a second time, breaking it down like a coach watching game film.

As for listening and learning, one good example was Kara Lawson’s funny explanation of “closing the elevator doors” to describe a two player screen that Louisville set up several times in the 2nd half to get Durr open shots. I’d never heard that term before. In my day it was the “swinging gate.” After Kara’s explanation along with the replay, I had learned something new about a game I love to watch both emotionally and analytically.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
While I played various sports through college, coached and refereed some after college, I’m not sure that’s necessarily the most relevant factor when it comes to commenting on games.

What is relevant, imo, is whether or not you’re just a casual fan who reacts emotionally to a game or do you take the time to break down what’s going on, while reading, listening and learning what knowledgeable experts have to say.

For me, the answer is both. When I watch a UConn game live, I’m emotionally invested in the outcome, and it’s difficult to be objective. The next day, or soon thereafter, I always watch the game a second time, breaking it down like a coach watching game film.

As for listening and learning, one good example was Kara Lawson’s funny explanation of “closing the elevator doors” to describe a two player screen that Louisville set up several times in the 2nd half to get Durr open shots. I’d never heard that term before. In my day it was the “swinging gate.” After Kara’s explanation along with the replay, I had learned something new about a game I love to watch both emotionally and analytically.

Me too. Good post.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I always liked,

Those that can, play. Those that can't, coach. Those that can't coach, become announcers. Those that can't announce, become sideline reporters.

I guess somewhere below all that are us BY analysts. :rolleyes:

I don't have a pedigree other than I grew up in IL, so we played year round starting basically at birth. Didn't play HS, was too short at 5-11. (starting lineup ran 6-2 to 6-9) Played college intramurals and adults leagues and pick up until my knees and feet gave out around 40ish. Did coach my kids for a few years.

Reaction Score
CYA league, JV & varsity high school, intramural college, player/coach industrial league & local recreation center leagues until at 36 while guarding a early 20 year old I was faked out so badly I fell and broke a wrist. I decided I no longer had the reflexes and quickness to compete. I retired to golf and bowling.
Similar. I was 40ish, went up for a rebound, came down on someone's foot. 5 years before that, I would have been playing basketball in a couple of days, but then, I'm was on crutches for 2 weeks. It made me appreciate that's the the main difference in age: that the body takes far longer to heal and how amazingly durable was John Havlicek.

Of course, these days, with far better training techniques and a lot more money to be made by playing longer, Havlicek's durability isn't so unusual.

Reaction Score
Played HS varsity, coached AAU.
Also officiated many sports. Basketball being far and away the most difficult to call.
I thought the quote was "Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. Those that can't teach, teach gym." (WA)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was an assistant coach for both son’s and daughteer’s CYO basketball teams. Our highlight was winning the sportsmanship award along with the head coach one year. My personal triumph was winning the auction for a Willis Reed autographed ball at a league dinner and the other coaches applauding me for being the only one who could remember the Captain playing!

I realize this crowd trends older, but in that group I was definitely the geezer.

Last edited:

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
So many "Monday night coaches" and critics here on the forum. Just wondering who has coached or played.
I played in many leagues but never high school or college (circumstances had me working from the age of 12) but I did coach girls JV/Varsity for 15 years. Love the game and the way it's played under the rim. I prefer to watch the women anyday, especially Uconn
Well, I've never been to England, but I kinda like the Beatles......................

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Played in junior high and part of HS, then just a lot of rec league and pick up games in HS and college. Also done a little refereeing, at the HS level only.

However, this is a slippery slope kind of notion to put much stock in, as far as the "informed" nature of fans, etc. Don't think many of the women I've known who are passionate fans of college and pro football would think too much of it, as one example.

I have to say that I've been reading an awful lot of posts lately that refer either directly or indirectly things like people's "basketball IQ" , mostly of which end up speaking poorly of the person using the term.

Reaction Score
That's your opinion

Reaction Score
Well, I've never been to England, but I kinda like the Beatles.......
If you just kinda like them, you're not a true Beatles fan. No one kinda likes them.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I played a little, but not well. I coached a little, but not well. I reffed a little, but it was too hard. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once. My only solid credential is my great appreciation for the type of basketball played year after year by Geno's and CD's fine young ladies. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom