Coach Sal working with the new pups | The Boneyard

Coach Sal working with the new pups

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Even these young kids have trouble being flexible enough to grip bar for front squats. Good that doing compound movements with good form and weights they can handle. Snatches to a press are very good, can progress (once get some muscle) to "explosion" reps that really build power (build those nerve/muscle connections).
Nothing fancy, get under the bar. Like the strategy.

Reaction Score
Adams is all sorts of cut up. And you can just see the difference of the new transfer doing pullups vs the frosh. Sal's awesome, lucky to have him

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I just saw this on IG. Check out Sals Instagram story clips. The returning kids look great and summer just began.

Reminder that when Sal was the UCLA S&C coach puff daddies kid wanted special treatment and Sal gave him none of it, worked hmm just as hard as the other kids, and Puff Daddy fought him over it, swung a cattle bell at him lol.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Even these young kids have trouble being flexible enough to grip bar for front squats. Good that doing compound movements with good form and weights they can handle. Snatches to a press are very good, can progress (once get some muscle) to "explosion" reps that really build power (build those nerve/muscle connections).
Nothing fancy, get under the bar. Like the strategy.

Wrist and tricep flexibility aren't really something basketball players need, I would think. It makes sense that they would be pretty stiff in the upper body.

Good on Sal for not listening to superjohn and chief, and doing the right things ;)

Reaction Score
I just saw this on IG. Check out Sals Instagram story clips. The returning kids look great and summer just began.

Reminder that when Sal was the UCLA S&C coach puff daddies kid wanted special treatment and Sal gave him none of it, worked hmm just as hard as the other kids, and Puff Daddy fought him over it, swung a cattle bell at him lol.

Post says sid is up to 185, I think. Unless the 1... 8... 5... is something else.

Badams looks cut. But that's never been his problem really. So no surprise.

Reaction Score
Bouknight will benefit from working with Sal this summer/fall. His mobility sucks lol.

You can tell in the vid Cole is the one with experience lifting a little bit more. Good to have him in an accountability group with the pups

Reaction Score
Bouknight will benefit from working with Sal this summer/fall. His mobility sucks lol.

You can tell in the vid Cole is the one with experience lifting a little bit more. Good to have him in an accountability group with the pups
He looked so awkward doing those good mornings.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He looked saw awkward doing those good mornings.

Weak posterior chain is pretty normal at 18. It will come. He might even just be uncomfortable with the bar on his back still, who knows.

Reaction Score
Think back to a year ago, and even some of the returning players somehow looked bad doing this work. Now, those guys have it down and are working to get to their goal playing weights.

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Think back to a year ago, and even some of the returning players somehow looked bad doing this work. Now, those guys have it down and are working to get to their goal playing weights.
Sal and Danny have totally remade our S&C program. Which needless to say was a joke before they arrived.

Having both Cole and AG Leading by example for the young guys, showing them how high major athletes should train and carry themselves, will be invaluable.

Reaction Score
Wrist and tricep flexibility aren't really something basketball players need, I would think. It makes sense that they would be pretty stiff in the upper body.

Good on Sal for not listening to superjohn and chief, and doing the right things ;)
Don't know about that, seems wrist flexibility would be pretty important for shooting. With front squats it's really the shoulder too (at least for us old guys).

Reaction Score

It’s not just wrist and tricep. The lats can be tight, and I wouldn’t want my basketball players having tight lats.

Half the point of front squats, and half the reason you can’t lift as much as with a back squat, is because it really is one of the best exercises to expose imbalances. Lots of people can look like they can execute good mornings and back squats, and even deadlift, with poor upper back mobility/strength. You can’t get away with that when you’re loading a front rack.

Reaction Score
He looked so awkward doing those good mornings.
Good mornings are something you do to to build proprioception and to learn to maintain a neutral spine through a loaded hip hinge. You’re paying extra attention to what your shoulders, core, hips, and feet are doing all at once. The shaking is probably a manifestation of the body learning to stabilize itself through this awkward sensation of tipping over the toes with a load on one’s back. Also, he’s not (and shouldn’t be) mindlessly bouncing up and down with the load.

Reaction Score
It’s not just wrist and tricep. The lats can be tight, and I wouldn’t want my basketball players having tight lats.

Half the point of front squats, and half the reason you can’t lift as much as with a back squat, is because it really is one of the best exercises to expose imbalances. Lots of people can look like they can execute good mornings and back squats, and even deadlift, with poor upper back mobility/strength. You can’t get away with that when you’re loading a front rack.

I'll trust you on this one. I don't know much about this stuff. Just that my PT said I can't front squat because my wrists and tris are locked up something fierce

Reaction Score
Every time we change the S&C coach everybody raves about the new guy. I like 'em all.

Reaction Score
Every time we change the S&C coach everybody raves about the new guy. I like 'em all.

There seems to be a different tone w Sal though. Tough guy and the team seems to be responding to him with extra effort. The muscle gains are very noticeable and I don’t remember that happening the last cpl year’s.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom