Coach Ollie is Human | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Coach Ollie is Human

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We get it, you support Ollie. A lot of us do.

A lot? I would say practically everyone supports Ollie. I support Ollie. But man, he screwed the pooch. I don't see how he gets it back. These cultsters have nothing to give us hope. Saying "We're UConn" and citing the good job he did years ago doesn't seem to help.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
. Saying "We're UConn" and citing the good job he did years ago doesn't seem to help.
The fact that he won a natty under challenging circumstances for both the program and the team sure seems relevant to me. He's been there and that has value. Not a guarantee certainly, but it has value.

Reaction Score
Let's be honest the All American conference is hurting recruiting in a major way. I remember Coach Calhoun saying he sold recruits on playing against Georgetown, Syracuse, St. John's... and playing in the Big East conference. Eventually we start winning and it became easier to recruit. It was definitely difficult to get top recruits to come to UCONN prior.
With this new generation no one cares about what you did years ago they care about now. Some may say UCONN is in the middle of no where, they play in the All American conference... The question is what are we selling that no else can? Come on people put your affinity for UCONN aside this is an uphill battle Coach Ollie is fighting. He will figure it out.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
With this new generation no one cares about what you did years ago they care about now.
This is a silly meme that has popped up lately. The 2011 and 2014 natties are meaningful to kids being recruited now. They watched those games, most of which were really exciting basketball. Think today's guards didn't picture themselves as Kemba or Bazz?

Reaction Score
This is a silly meme that has popped up lately. The 2011 and 2014 natties are meaningful to kids being recruited now. They watched those games, most of which were really exciting basketball. Think today's guards didn't picture themselves as Kemba or Bazz?
They can picture themselves as Kemba and Shabazz and play at other schools playing against better competition. Not Tulane, Tulsa, UCF, USF, Houston, Memphis...

CL82

Reaction Score
They can picture themselves as Kemba and Shabazz and play at other schools playing against better competition. Not Tulane, Tulsa, UCF, USF, Houston, Memphis...
I'll agree that our conference hurts us, but that wasn't your point your trying make with this post.
With this new generation no one cares about what you did years ago they care about now.
To suggest that winning natties 2011 and 2014 is ancient history to today's college players is just nonsense.

Reaction Score
I'll agree that our conference hurts us, but that wasn't your point your trying make with this post.

To suggest that winning natties 2011 and 2014 is ancient history to today's college players is just nonsense.
If this was the case don't you think Recruits would be begging Coach Ollie for a scholarship to come play at UCONN?

CL82

Reaction Score
If this was the case don't you think Recruits would be begging Coach Ollie for a scholarship to come play at UCONN?
Um, just curious, how old are you?

Reaction Score
Well, he lost a much needed recruit to Cincinatti, last I checked they're in the AAC.

Weak conference or not, we have significantly more pedigree than Rutgers or St. John's.

Our worst years is an improvement for them.

CL82

Reaction Score
Irrelevant, but I have been a fan for about 30 years.
Okay. Your thought process sounds really young and I didn't want to be critical of it if you were a kid.

Reaction Score
Okay. Your thought process sounds really young and I didn't want to be critical of it if you were a kid.
Very cute. I was thinking the same, it seems as though your thought process sounds really young and your mind and perception is stuck in a box. I don't play checkers, I play chess.

Reaction Score
The fact that he won a natty under challenging circumstances for both the program and the team sure seems relevant to me. He's been there and that has value. Not a guarantee certainly, but it has value.

There's an enormous difference between what middle-aged fans value and what 18-year-old recruits value.

No recruit gives a s*** about how KO won a championship under difficult circumstances. They care about how much buzz, hype, and exposure they get, and about whether the coach is likely to help or hinder their goals at the next level. Recruits today take notice of the fact that:
1) UConn has been irrelevant on the national stage for 3 years, aside from maybe a tiny blip in March 2016 when we won 4 games in a row and had a little momentum and buzz
2) KO in 5 years has gotten one(!) player drafted in the first round, and that player is on his 3rd team in 4 years and might not see a second contract

KO will always have that championship, and we fans will always treasure it and his role in bringing it to fruition. But it doesn't do d*** for us on the recruiting trail.

Reaction Score
I don't care at all about the little pissing match but that is a very douchey saying. I once had a salesman use that line on me. It's just so douchey (I can't think of a better word).
Its your opinion but it must have had some effect on you as you still have that encounter in your memory.

Reaction Score
Let's be honest the All American conference is hurting recruiting in a major way. I remember Coach Calhoun saying he sold recruits on playing against Georgetown, Syracuse, St. John's... and playing in the Big East conference. Eventually we start winning and it became easier to recruit. It was definitely difficult to get top recruits to come to UCONN prior.
With this new generation no one cares about what you did years ago they care about now. Some may say UCONN is in the middle of no where, they play in the All American conference... The question is what are we selling that no else can? Come on people put your affinity for UCONN aside this is an uphill battle Coach Ollie is fighting. He will figure it out.
Let's be honest. Losing to Wagner and Northeastern is the thing that hurt us the most.

Reaction Score
As a fan I like to look at things from all angles or like every move in a chess game there is a reaction. I am not on here to disrespect anyone just give my opinion, but I will not accept being disrespected.

Reaction Score
Let's be honest. Losing to Wagner and Northeastern is the thing that hurt us the most.
I agree those losses hurt but it's not how you start it's how you finish. Majority of the players were new to the team. It takes time to jell... UCONN is always known as finishers, February, March and April belongs to us.

CL82

Reaction Score
There's an enormous difference between what middle-aged fans value and what 18-year-old recruits value.

No recruit gives a s*** about how KO won a championship under difficult circumstances. They care about how much buzz, hype, and exposure they get, and about whether the coach is likely to help or hinder their goals at the next level. Recruits today take notice of the fact that:
1) UConn has been irrelevant on the national stage for 3 years, aside from maybe a tiny blip in March 2016 when we won 4 games in a row and had a little momentum and buzz
2) KO in 5 years has gotten one(!) player drafted in the first round, and that player is on his 3rd team in 4 years and might not see a second contract

KO will always have that championship, and we fans will always treasure it and his role in bringing it to fruition. But it doesn't do d*** for us on the recruiting trail.
Disagree. Pretty much any kid who is a D1 recruit in watching March Madness and certainly the championship game. They'd be either freshman or sophomore in HS in 2014 and Bazz and Boat had a great run. Connecticut player have had a great success in getting to the NBA, I have to believe that most these guys are aware of that. Connecticut's success is modern era, not in the 50's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom