Coach Ollie is Human | The Boneyard

Coach Ollie is Human

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Coach Kevin Ollie is a human being just like all of us. I am certain his divorce and his moms health played a major part in some of our downfall the past two seasons. Coach Ollie played 13 seasons in the NBA moving from different cities almost every year. His wife and kids stayed in Connecticut while he was in the NBA. Could you imagine after that many years of working hard and fighting to make a team and you finally got your dream job at UCONN and able to spend quality time with your family your wife says she wants a divorce? Oh and your mom has cancer. Come on people, this can be detrimental to anyone's well being. It's bigger than basketball and as fans at UCONN we should be supportive during tough times not beat a man when he's already down. We are the most spoiled fan base, we want championships and win games but we wouldn't go sell out the arena and make Gampel a real threat of being a 6th man.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Even the great coach K had a rough patch in the mid 90's.
96-97 24-9
95-96 18-13
94-95. 13-18

Wait, not exactly true in 94-95. That was the year he had back surgery and missed the second half of the season. He installed Pete Gaudet as the interim HC, a guy who started his coaching career there as an unpaid assistant. The weasel convinced the NCAA to count all of their losses while Gaudet was coaching the team against Pete's coaching record, not his. It was the same as if Calhoun had gotten them to count all the losses while Blaney was coaching during Calhoun's health absences against Blaney's coaching record, not his.

To add insult to injury, Coach K then turned on Gaudet and fired him. I believe Gaudet sued them.

Reaction Score
Nobody is bigger than the program.

Either he's up for the job or he isn't.

$3M a year comes with expectations. It's not a charity.
Our Program was in a mess when coach Calhoun retired. We were banned from Post Season, We were struggling to get the Phil Nolans of the world, Jabari Hinds thought we weren't good enough for him. It's a triple down effect. Coach Ollie situation didn't help but he BLEEDS BLUE and will do everything to get us back on the right track. Be supportive!

Reaction Score
Our Program was in a mess when coach Calhoun retired. We were banned from Post Season, We were struggling to get the Phil Nolans of the world, Jabari Hinds thought we weren't good enough for him. It's a triple down effect. Coach Ollie situation didn't help but he BLEEDS BLUE and will do everything to get us back on the right track. Be supportive!

they won a title a year before he retired....

Reaction Score
Wait, not exactly true in 94-95. That was the year he had back surgery and missed the second half of the season. He installed Pete Gaudet as the interim HC, a guy who started his coaching career there as an unpaid assistant. The weasel convinced the NCAA to count all of their losses while Gaudet was coaching the team against Pete's coaching record, not his. It was the same as if Calhoun had gotten them to count all the losses while Blaney was coaching during Calhoun's health absences against Blaney's coaching record, not his.

To add insult to injury, Coach K then turned on Gaudet and fired him. I believe Gaudet sued them.
He knew his team wasn't any good so he choose to have surgery during the season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Listen KO is human until he starts getting 3M plus a year to coach a program handed to him with such great legacy. He did a wonderful job the first 2 years and then a decent job getting them to a tourney and the round of 32. Bu because of rumors in the way he approached his job he is open for ridicule and it would seem at this time he is due just that to a point. Can't argue with those who want more, they can ask for more. None of them deserve more just because they are just fans no actual skin in the game, but in an open forum as this they have solid reason to be in panic mode. They don't have a solid reason to act as if he's still not the coach or wish he wasn't, that to me is pitiful but to each their own.

For now let them crow and hope they play well this year, above expectations as they might just do. Because then this Boneyard would be most entertaining, more than likely real fun too. If they aren't successful they will crow louder. lots of I told ya so's and they will have a reason more than likely.

Tune into 2017-18 it's going to be a hoot on the Boneyard!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coach Calhoun's record his last 6 years
20-14
32-9
18-16
31-5
24-9
17-14
Coach Ollie's record his first 5 years
16-17
25-11
20-15
32-8
20-10
Was there any strength of conference differences here because the OBE vs the AAC for some of those records.

Reaction Score
Was there any strength of conference differences here because the OBE vs the AAC for some of those records.
Big East was definitely stronger but we did finished 32-8 and won the National Championship in 2014 playing in the All American conference.

pj

Reaction Score
For Ollie, it comes down to loving his players. If he loves them and invests his heart in developing them and helping them succeed, then everything else will work out. If he doesn't care, then he will fail.

Reaction Score
A lot of y'all will be surprised or are underestimating the team this season. As I said before, WINNING will cure everything. We need Diarra, Cobb or Carlton to control the paint. Although undersized, I think Diarra gets the nod.

Reaction Score
Oh and we finished 20-14 the following year with Lamb, Drummond, Oriaki, Napier, McDaniels, Deandre Daniels, Boatright, Giffey...

so better than last years finish and with a considerable amount of players that had won a title and would go on to win the 2014 title?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We are all spoiled rotten and we don't suffer bad seasons well. Our past success is causative but the question is should we not take poor play or coaching lightly? Should we not be as intensive or upset at the team's performance or even argue and debate fixes and solutions?

Reaction Score
so better than last years finish and with a considerable amount of players that would go on to win the 2014 title?
My friend, two of our best 3 players were done for the season. Diarra would have been a factor but was done for the season. Durham was hurt on and off and was coming off major injuries. Jalen Adams was playing hurt for the most part and missed a few games... Think outside the box and look at it a chess pieces....

Reaction Score
Thanks for the chance to comment on the reaction here without wading through the multitude of posts on the Mathis pages.

The negativity is so frustrating. We won a championship in 2014! We are so spoiled. Please calm down and have some patience and give Ollie the chance to grow a little. To me that would be a showing of UConn character and resilience.

In addition to the P5 issues and the chance to scapegoat somebody and anybody for a series of cataclysmic injuries to top players less than a year ago, (when we incidentally featured a recruiting class ranked in the top 10), I suppose opposing coaches are forwarding Boneyard posts to recruits to promote the idea that the program is taking on water like a sinking ship. Their coach is soon to be sacked, their big men cannot improve and their physical training has been substandard for years, (although Travis looked to have had us more fit than Kentucky in the 2014 Championship game). There probably is someone here who thought Chillious should have told Mathis that if it didn't work out he would be coached by Pikiell without transferring. "Don't go to UConn, see even their most diehard fans see they are doomed! "

Life humbles people. Great people overcome adversity and their subsequent achievements are sweeter. KO is learning and I think he has the character to overcome this adversity. I would give him lots of rope because he is young, is the recipe for success, has a national championship in his pocket and with a spotlessly clean program. Plus, who else is there?

Those of you who are down on him and want immediate gratification, please tell me, who are you so hot to bring in? Are you sure you can steal Pikiell from UNJ of the ACC? The typical negative narrative reads that our conference is a dumpster fire from where recruiting is impossible. Then, there is the likely TV money reduction compounded by us being in a state with much governmental debt. What proven coach is leaving his gig to take on that challenge? Did David Benedict bringing back a former UConn football coach cause anyone to think Jim Calhoun would come back? Do you think Geno wants to try men's basketball?

With a little optimism, we could appreciate what a coveted prize each of our 4 championships are and hope the school (Herbst) can somehow find a, albeit late. route to successfully navigate conference reorganization.

Meanwhile, KO will improve with doing. Currently, I doubt UConn can attract a new coach with the upside that Ollie has. He bleeds UConn blue, is a former player, made it out of LA, hung in the NBA, was coached by legends, and mentored stars. Fire him and we set the stage to long be known for impatience and poor situational awareness. Kind of like selling Babe Ruth for $125,000.

I've bought my tickets.

Reaction Score
so better than last years finish and with a considerable amount of players that had won a title and would go on to win the 2014 title?
Two of our three best players were done for the season along with injuries to others Diarra, Durham...FWIW None of the players from the 2014 championship team would have been recruited or made a Kentucky or Duke team.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the chance to comment on the reaction here without wading through the multitude of posts on the Mathis pages.

The negativity is so frustrating. We won a championship in 2014! We are so spoiled. Please calm down and have some patience and give Ollie the chance to grow a little. To me that would be a showing of UConn character and resilience.

In addition to the P5 issues and the chance to scapegoat somebody and anybody for a series of cataclysmic injuries to top players less than a year ago, (when we incidentally featured a recruiting class ranked in the top 10), I suppose opposing coaches are forwarding Boneyard posts to recruits to promote the idea that the program is taking on water like a sinking ship. Their coach is soon to be sacked, their big men cannot improve and their physical training has been substandard for years, (although Travis looked to have had us more fit than Kentucky in the 2014 Championship game). There probably is someone here who thought Chillious should have told Mathis that if it didn't work out he would be coached by Pikiell without transferring. "Don't go to UConn, see even their most diehard fans see they are doomed! "

Life humbles people. Great people overcome adversity and their subsequent achievements are sweeter. KO is learning and I think he has the character to overcome this adversity. I would give him lots of rope because he is young, is the recipe for success, has a national championship in his pocket and with a spotlessly clean program. Plus, who else is there?

Those of you who are down on him and want immediate gratification, please tell me, who are you so hot to bring in? Are you sure you can steal Pikiell from UNJ of the ACC? The typical negative narrative reads that our conference is a dumpster fire from where recruiting is impossible. Then, there is the likely TV money reduction compounded by us being in a state with much governmental debt. What proven coach is leaving his gig to take on that challenge? Did David Benedict bringing back a former UConn football coach cause anyone to think Jim Calhoun would come back? Do you think Geno wants to try men's basketball?

With a little optimism, we could appreciate what a coveted prize each of our 4 championships are and hope the school (Herbst) can somehow find a, albeit late. route to successfully navigate conference reorganization.

Meanwhile, KO will improve with doing. Currently, I doubt UConn can attract a new coach with the upside that Ollie has. He bleeds UConn blue, is a former player, made it out of LA, hung in the NBA, was coached by legends, and mentored stars. Fire him and we set the stage to long be known for impatience and poor situational awareness. Kind of like selling Babe Ruth for $125,000.

I've bought my tickets.
A post with substance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member