Coach of Year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Coach of Year

Reaction Score
Uh, she had by far her 2 best players return. One was an All-American; both were All-Big 12 First Team. A third player (Landrum) started in about half their games. Another averaged 18 minutes a game.

Any coach should be so unfortunate as to have an All-SEC guard, and the leading scorer from an NCAA tournament team, waltz in your door as a grad transfer.

Mulkey remains in the running for Best Dressed. But COY? Sorry try again next year.
But she loses her starting point guard ultimately to expulsion.

And had developed the talent to step in.

And meshed that talent with the bigs.

Not an easy thing to do .... granted she had little choice .... but she executed it , and did it rather quickly

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
According to the Naismith site, Vic Schaefer did win the award last year.

Past Winners | Citizen Naismith Trophy View attachment 40266

Based on this list, I don't quite see how anyone can be eliminated on the basis of having a lot of (too much?) talent. Maybe that should be the case, but it's a hard argument to make given 5 of the 7 most recent winners (Geno x 2; Muffet x 2; Kim), all of whom had rosters filled with very talented players.

Reaction Score
I know where I am when I say this (and know what I've said in the past) but I'm somewhat surprised Kevin McGuff isn't at least a representative from the B1G for this. Not saying he should be national coach but I think he should be right there with B1G Coach of the Year, considering what he lost and what he brought (9 new faces) and was able to finish possibly tied for fourth in the league. I know OSU had a bout of consecutive losses and started league play 0-3, but they've turned it around and beat all MSU, Indiana, and Rutgers (when they were all ranked, maybe not as impressive anymore) and played Maryland close their first game at Maryland. I just think from where they stared (looked like a high school team) to where they are now is an impressive coaching job. I was expecting, and I'd imagine most of the B1G and nation, tOSU to finish at the bottom half of the league at the best.
The only problem with finishing 4th in the Big 10 is that the Big 10 (like the SEC) is pretty mediocre once you get past the top 2 teams. I really think this year we could see some notable runs in the NCAA tournament by some non-power 5 teams (providing they can get in). I don't think the SEC deserves 8 bids or the Big 10 6. On the original topic, I agree with the choice of Wes Moore, especially because of the injuries. Amanda Butler at Clemson is also a strong candidate.

Reaction Score
Based on this list, I don't quite see how anyone can be eliminated on the basis of having a lot of (too much?) talent. Maybe that should be the case, but it's a hard argument to make given 5 of the 7 most recent winners (Geno x 2; Muffet x 2; Kim), all of whom had rosters filled with very talented players.
Strange argument to see on a UConn forum.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Baylor lost a close one at Stanford and have been perfect since, that streak includes smoking the #2 team. No one deserves it any more than Mulkey.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
But she loses her starting point guard ultimately to expulsion.

And had developed the talent to step in.

And meshed that talent with the bigs.

Not an easy thing to do .... granted she had little choice .... but she executed it , and did it rather quickly
Don't get me wrong; she's done an outstanding job, and she has my vote for Big 12 Coach of the Year. I just don't think the circumstances warrant a National COY award, and I think a few other coaches are more deserving (Moore, Butler, Meier, Fortier). I would say the same thing about Geno. Maybe if Kim's team were undefeated, that'd be different. Maybe if Chloe Jackson hadn't transferred, and she'd turned Moon Ursin into an all-conference-caliber point guard, that would be different too.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Baylor lost a close one at Stanford and have been perfect since, that streak includes smoking the #2 team. No one deserves it any more than Mulkey.
The loss to Stanford wasn't really close. Stanford led by double digits for most of the game and were up by 18 after 3Q. Baylor made a charge in 4Q to make it somewhat interesting, but it's quite generous to call this a "close loss."

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The only problem with finishing 4th in the Big 10 is that the Big 10 (like the SEC) is pretty mediocre once you get past the top 2 teams. I really think this year we could see some notable runs in the NCAA tournament by some non-power 5 teams (providing they can get in). I don't think the SEC deserves 8 bids or the Big 10 6. On the original topic, I agree with the choice of Wes Moore, especially because of the injuries. Amanda Butler at Clemson is also a strong candidate.

I'm not saying the Big Ten is a gauntlet nor should he win National Coach of the Year, but when his team, which lost a three-time Big Ten Player of the Year and 5 other players, was expected to finish 8th in the league to finish 5th in the league, he should be worth a conversation for at least Big Ten coach of the year, which in turn would at least put in him consideration for National Coach of the Year.

I just think he would be a better representative from the Big Ten than Bluder and Iowa. Iowa was expected to finish second in the league at the preseason. They also did it with Megan Gustafson, the top player in the league and one of the top players in the nation.

Obviously, the national award should go to Moore or Butler. With Meier being a great choice for third.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom