Coach of Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coach of Year

Reaction Score
why Graves? His team is stacked with talent...
GEno has won many times with stacked talent. But there’s something to be said of performing well when expected to. Tho yes the west has a bunch of notable names - fortier and rueck have also done great

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
GEno has won many times with stacked talent. But there’s something to be said of performing well when expected to. Tho yes the west has a bunch of notable names - fortier and rueck have also done great

I was shocked when he won in Stewie/Moriah/Morgan's senior year. Yeah, they were undefeated, but he had arguably the top three players in WCBB.

There are a few coaches I wouldn't mind seeing with this award. NC State is playing better than expected with all those injuries. Gonzaga is WAY better than expected. Same with Clemson. And I am impressed in the job Vic Schaffer has done after losing four starters at MSST. Yes, he still has McCowan, and they were ranked in the preseason top ten, but this season could've gone awry very easily.

Reaction Score
Coach Jumper is chomping at the bits to coach the lady Vols. There is no doubt that he could right the ship. He lists his own credentials quite frequently and he has certainly convinced me. In fact I'n afraid he may be overqualified.

Reaction Score
I was shocked when he won in Stewie/Moriah/Morgan's senior year. Yeah, they were undefeated, but he had arguably the top three players in WCBB.

There are a few coaches I wouldn't mind seeing with this award. NC State is playing better than expected with all those injuries. Gonzaga is WAY better than expected. Same with Clemson. And I am impressed in the job Vic Schaffer has done after losing four starters at MSST. Yes, he still has McCowan, and they were ranked in the preseason top ten, but this season could've gone awry very easily.
At the start of the season, Gary Blair pointed out that he and Vic had both lost 4 starters but said he wasn’t that sympathetic because “he got one of mine”.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Coach Jumper is chomping at the bits to coach the lady Vols. There is no doubt that he could right the ship. He lists his own credentials quite frequently and he has certainly convinced me. In fact I'n afraid he may be overqualified.

Real question. :oops::oops:

Is 'Coach Jumper' a coach with real (or semi-real) credentials or just a fan who is delusional and wants to coach as a fantasy??

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Is 'Coach Jumper' a coach with real (or semi-real) credentials or just a fan who is delusional and wants to coach as a fantasy??

I was just googling "Coach Jumper" and all I found were some high-cost fashionable tops. Can't imagine I'd see any of them on the Lady Vols sidelines. So, I too, would love to be apart of the "coach jumper" joke. :)

Reaction Score
I plump for Vic Schaefer. He deserved it last year, but got bested (deservedly) by Muffet’s “Perils of Pauline” season. This year no one expected MSSU to be a candidate for a #1 seed, and yet they are.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Jumper is apparently an out of work, ex assistant AAU coach. He posted that he coached AAU girls for 37 years. Apparently he has attempted to contact Warlick and her staff on several occasions and seems to be perplexed because he hasn't been hired. After all - he can be there tomorrow.
Or he may be somebody just spoofing the orange fans. :D

Reaction Score
MSST was the preseason #6 team in both polls so I hardly think that they weren't a candidate for a 1 seed. But I agree Vic has done a very good job and should be considered.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I plump for Vic Schaefer. He deserved it last year, but got bested (deservedly) by Muffet’s “Perils of Pauline” season. This year no one expected MSSU to be a candidate for a #1 seed, and yet they are.

According to the Naismith site, Vic Schaefer did win the award last year.

Past Winners | Citizen Naismith Trophy
Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 9.29.29 AM.png

Reaction Score

All I know is: He is ready to take over the Vols but it seems he is being snubbed. I'm not sure why they would treat him that way when he has all the answers and is is so thirsty for the job.

Reaction Score
How can it not be Mulkey?

hard to give it to a coach with the kind of talent that Baylor has.........................perhaps if they had gone undefeated she would get serious consideration

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I think you have to go with Butler of Clemson. That program was awful just a year ago. That is the biggest turn around by far.

Reaction Score

Um
He posts on a message board that he should be coach.

Is it really hard to deduce which category he is in?

Reaction Score
hard to give it to a coach with the kind of talent that Baylor has.....perhaps if they had gone undefeated she would get serious consideration

I mean she did only have 2 true starters return and only has 4 upper class men on the team. Not to mention taking a SG and turning them into a PG. Half the team is new to the program. However, I would still vote for NCSTATE coach, unless he loses a few more.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I mean she did only have 2 true starters return and only has 4 upper class men on the team. Not to mention taking a SG and turning them into a PG. Half the team is new to the program. However, I would still vote for NCSTATE coach, unless he loses a few more.
Uh, she had by far her 2 best players return. One was an All-American; both were All-Big 12 First Team. A third player (Landrum) started in about half their games. Another averaged 18 minutes a game.

Any coach should be so unfortunate as to have an All-SEC guard, and the leading scorer from an NCAA tournament team, waltz in your door as a grad transfer.

Mulkey remains in the running for Best Dressed. But COY? Sorry try again next year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Uh, she had by far her 2 best players return. One was an All-American; both were All-Big 12 First Team. A third player (Landrum) started in about half their games. Another averaged 18 minutes a game.

Any coach should be so unfortunate as to have an All-SEC guard, and the leading scorer from an NCAA tournament team, waltz in your door as a grad transfer.

Mulkey remains in the running for Best Dressed. But COY? Sorry try again next year.

I was not going to mention but since it was brought up, I think she has stepped up her outfits. Nailed it in the TX game. ;)

1551384080632.png

Reaction Score

I didn't say she should win....However, I do think she is deserving over half the others on the list.

Reaction Score

gotta agree with Plebe on that one.............any time you have a 6'7" post and a 6'4" forward like Brown and Cox and you can bring in Smith and Egbo off the bench I'd say you have a good chance to dominate...................add Chloe Jackson and you are in pretty good shape.....................let's see how KM does next year without Brown and Jackson.................if she has another season like this one I'd say she has a better chance of winning COY............

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I was not going to mention but since it was brought up, I think she has stepped up her outfits. Nailed it in the TX game. ;)

View attachment 40308
I was there in person and I can confirm: Major triple bonus points for the glimmering lamé.

Reaction Score
I was there in person and I can confirm: Major triple bonus points for the glimmering lamé.

I hear she sometimes uses Liberace's old costume designer...............

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I think you have to go with Butler of Clemson. That program was awful just a year ago. That is the biggest turn around by far.

I am partial to Amanda Butler for ACC COY, whose Clemson squad is 18-10 to date, with an ACC record of 9-6.
  • In the preseason, Clemson was picked to finish 14th in the ACC by the head coaches and 15th in the ACC by the Blue Ribbon panel.
  • The last time Clemson won at least 18 games? 2000-01, under former head coach Jim Davis (he retired after the 2004-05 season).
  • The last time Clemson won at least 9 ACC games? 2001-02, under former head coach Jim Davis (2001-02 was also the last year that Clemson made the NCAA Tournament).
  • Between Davis and Butler, Clemson had three head coaches -- Cristy McKinney, Itoro Umoh-Coleman, and Audra Smith. In five seasons, McKinney went 16–54 in ACC games. In three seasons, Umoh-Coleman had an ACC record of 10-38. And in five years, Smith's conference record was 9-70.
  • In other words, Butler has 9 ACC wins in her first season at the helm of the program, which equals the five years of her predecessor --- and with one conference game remaining.
If Clemson beats Duke -- a team that has defeated Clemson in 22 straight games -- then I think winning 10 conference games after being picked to finish dead last (or second to last) and doing so in the first season as a head coach and for the first time for the program since 2001-02 means that the ACC COY award should go to Amanda Butler.

But I believe the same analysis can be applied to Butler in terms of her candidacy for national COY awards.

Reaction Score
Yeah, starting to believe that Butler wasn't the issue in Florida. Cam Newbauer did a great job at Belmont and he can't get Florida going at all. Mike Neighbors has done a great job at Arkansas, and Coach Yo at Ole Miss is recruiting at a high level. I think Scott Rueck at OSU has to be in anyone's Top 3 for COY.

Reaction Score
I agree that Clemson has been great. I just have a bias against Butler because of her shoddy treatment of Sydney Moss whom she blocked from transferring, forcing Moss to go to a D3 school.

Granted I don’t know the backstory, but not a good look.

All the time pro and college players get downgraded by voters because of character issues. Why not coaches.

On Butler's poor handling of Moss' transfer request

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom