Coach Hurley | The Boneyard

Coach Hurley

Reaction Score
When UConn landed Coach Hurley as its new Coach in March, I was very happy. Through 7 games, he has exceeded my expectations. The team is playing hard, sharing the basketball, dictating the tempo of games, and he has lots of guys engaged and contributing. The team is honestly much further along than I thought they would be in his first season. There will certainly be some bumps in the road throughout the season, but in my opinion Coach Hurley has restored a culture where excellence is the standard. Look at how much better and disciplined CV is playing this season. The change is dramatic.

I look at the younger guys like Josh, Alterique, and Tyler and realize with Coach Hurley leading them, this team will become a mainstay in the top 25 by next season. That results in more tv exposure and positive buzz about the program, and should aid in recruiting.

I guess this is my long winded way of saying that I am extremely happy with the direction of the program, and that I think that the team truly will be a factor on the national landscape next season and beyond, especially if guys like Kofi and/or Akok come here to play.

We knew we were getting a very good coach in Danny Hurley, but I think few of us truly recognized just how good he really is.

Reaction Score
Hungry huskies are back with a vengeance. Night and day.

wolf.jpg

Reaction Score
When UConn landed Coach Hurley as its new Coach in March, I was very happy. Through 7 games, he has exceeded my expectations. The team is playing hard, sharing the basketball, dictating the tempo of games, and he has lots of guys engaged and contributing. The team is honestly much further along than I thought they would be in his first season. There will certainly be some bumps in the road throughout the season, but in my opinion Coach Hurley has restored a culture where excellence is the standard. Look at how much better and disciplined CV is playing this season. The change is dramatic.

I look at the younger guys like Josh, Alterique, and Tyler and realize with Coach Hurley leading them, this team will become a mainstay in the top 25 by next season. That results in more tv exposure and positive buzz about the program, and should aid in recruiting.

I guess this is my long winded way of saying that I am extremely happy with the direction of the program, and that I think that the team truly will be a factor on the national landscape next season and beyond, especially if guys like Kofi and/or Akok come here to play.

We knew we were getting a very good coach in Danny Hurley, but I think few of us truly recognized just how good he really is.
I agree but I also think expectations need to be tempered. The team is playing way better than last year but they still look flawed enough that I don't see them as an NCAA tournament team, yet. However, if they improve more than the field for the rest of the season, they very well could end up in the big dance.

Reaction Score
We,ll see Sunday what this team is made of. Can they bring us back to old times? Just watched the tape of UCONN 100 AZ 98 in OT in early 2000s and I have goose bumps. Looking forward to Sunday.

Reaction Score

Well let's be honest I would've expected this from you even in January/February of 2018. But since we disagreed a lot I will give you and the others kudos as we've improved dramatically with the move you got it right.

He is a very good coach and we will see if it even gets better. We are lucky where we are now with Dan considering the position we put him in when he arrives. So many positive things happening from recruiting to what's happening on the court. There's things he will need to get better at but heck so did JC when he arrived. Really disappointed in how much Tarin Smith played the other night and not sure why? Is it because he's a Hurley favorite because that can't happen. He was atrocious and kept coming back. Jalen hasn't bought into D for 35 minutes yet and although I don't blame it all on DH I want to see him change that.

Hey this isn't a great team but they are competitive something we haven't been in a while. They play hard, they run and when the play D they are fun to watch. They will be tested in the next 3 of 5 let's see where we are then. By no means will it tell us how great he will be but it will help a little in his early impact.

Great get!

C

Chief00

Agree, great get by Benedict. The guy who came to position football, greatest accomplishment thus far is a basketball hire.

For those who made fun of Chief’s non-nefarious trips to watch URI last season - now you know why!

Reaction Score
I’ll wait 3 years. We, of all fan bases, should know better than to anoint someone after one or two years. The recruiting has to happen, and stay consistent. The buy-in has to be consistent. And we have to beat someone other than cupcakes and an overrated (what else is new) Cuse

Reaction Score
Hurley is the real deal. He has surrounded himself with excellent people and has hit the ground running since the minute he was hired. Tremendous turnaround for the UConn program and Hurley deserves to be recognized for his superb effort.

We're just getting started here. It has only been a few months, and the energy surrounding the program, and the results we are already seeing, are impressive.

Reaction Score
I’ll wait 3 years. We, of all fan bases, should know better than to anoint someone after one or two years. The recruiting has to happen, and stay consistent. The buy-in has to be consistent. And we have to beat someone other than cupcakes and an overrated (what else is new) Cuse
Don't wish your life away waiting for the right time to allow yourself to be happy and optimistic. It took them till February last year to score 80+ points twice in regulation, the cupcakes were going to overtime, remember the 2 assist type of games last year?, the defense actually looks like it has some teeth, the players look happier and it is creating a good atmosphere for recruiting.

No one is trying to claim he is gonna have 1000 wins at UConn, but as you noted in your profile, the Boneyard is fun again!

Reaction Score
I want to win the Zona game, but at least be competitive and take it to the wire. An Iowa performance would bum me out but we have to be very careful with our expectations in Hurley year 1. I like the ball movement compared to last year and we are playing with more fire.

Reaction Score
Agree, great get by Benedict. The guy who came to position football, greatest accomplishment thus far is a basketball hire.

For those who made fun of Chief’s non-nefarious trips to watch URI last season - now you know why!
Hurley was pretty much the conventional choice anticipated by both the fans and media. So Benedict gets some credit but not much. His choice of Edsall puts him at or below zero.

Reaction Score
I want to win the Zona game, but at least be competitive and take it to the wire. An Iowa performance would bum me out but we have to be very careful with our expectations in Hurley year 1. I like the ball movement compared to last year and we are playing with more fire.
I agree with you. I don’t think we are “back” just yet. A 4th place finish and AAC tourney run might have to be our way (if the AAC keeps crapping the bed against P5s in non conference) in but we need to remember this is a rebuilding year. Although to say this team hasn’t exceeded expectations would be wrong, they look amazing. The depth is terrific in the back court. I’m content with an NIT this year. Hurley has been a godsend compared to last year. Still respect Ollie tho, injuries were a big problem for him that forced zone defense.

Reaction Score

Wait a minute............are you AD DB? Or did you simply place a strong recommendation?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hurley was pretty much the conventional choice anticipated by both the fans and media. So Benedict gets some credit but not much. His choice of Edsall puts him at or below zero.
Lol, you aren't the only one to suggest this. Hurley was the big fish and landed him over a very motivated P5/ACC school that out bid us. That's a win any way you slice it.

Not aimed at you exclusively but the tendency of this board to yawn and downplay success but scream and cry about the slightest challenges can be maddening.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Lol, you aren't the only one to suggest this. Hurley was the big fish and landed him over a very motivated P5/ACC school that out bid us. That's a win any way you slice it.

Not aimed at you exclusively but the tendency of this board to yawn and downplay success but scream and cry about the slightest challenges can be maddening.
Bottom line: Conventional, hand-delivered, motivated or otherwise, Benedict closed the deal against legitimate competition. He deserves credit.

Sign me up for anyone who delivers what they are supposed to deliver. It’s a refreshing change from the norm these days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom