Coach Dennis Wolff Out at Va. Tech | The Boneyard

Coach Dennis Wolff Out at Va. Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
After five years, Coach Dennis Woff was relieved of duties at Virginia Tech. The Hokies went 18-14 overall, but just 5-11 in the ACC and lost in the first round of the WNIT to Ohio U.

The beat reporter in Roanoke speculated on possible replacements:
"It would not be a shock if Babcock turns to James Madison women's basketball coach Kenny Brooks to replace Wolff. JMU was the only state team in the NCAA women's basketball tournament this year -- JMU's third straight NCAA appearance.

Other names to look out for include George Washington coach Jonathan Tsipis, a former assistant to Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw, and Princeton coach Courtney Banghart, who guided the Tigers this year to the first NCAA at-large bid in Ivy League history."

Tsipsis and Banghart seem to be at the top of the "most available pool" -- I saw their names in two reports for the Wisconsin position, as well as that of Katie Abrahamson-Henderson, the Albany Coach who I read is from Iowa.

Here are links to the Va. Tech announcement and the Roanoke blog that I pulled the coach search information from.

http://www.hokiesports.com/wbasketball/recaps/20160322aaa.html

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colum...cle_23e9fc62-f048-11e5-80cc-eb0a96830c9d.html

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Pretty sure that this is the same Dennis Wolff who is the dad of our very own Nicole Wolff.

Reaction Score
Did a real nice job for BU back in the day too. Solid back up guard for the Huskies in his heyday.

Did very well for BU in his earlier days - but not very well his last four years. Also BU usually got knocked out early in the America East tournament. That eventually got him fired.

Reaction Score
Brooks seems like a no brainer puck. good coach and knows VA recruiting well.
I had heard Banghart being mentioned for Rutgers. so she might be waiting that out.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Brooks seems like a no brainer puck. good coach and knows VA recruiting well.
I had heard Banghart being mentioned for Rutgers. so she might be waiting that out.
A lot of folks at RU would love at least a look at Banghart, but as the AD announced that CVS will be back next year (and we all suspect the following to finish her contract and likely get 1000 wins) Banghart might not be willing to wait. Apparently, her compensation level is a mystery.

Tsipsis is another name mentioned by some sensible RU fans, I think he is a hot commodity. They were also mentioning the Duquesne coach, mostly because of his style of play.

Comment on the Albany coach - the only real head coaching success that I have found in what you could call the CVS coaching tree, although I'm not sure if she only played or both played and coached for Vivian.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Virginia Tech had a spell where they were decent, unfortunately, that wasn't recently. In general, I don't think they were able to up their game in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Whatever happened with Nicole Wolff? Did she ever play ball after UConn? Poor kid was a fine talent, but successive injuries really did her in. Become a coach?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Whatever happened with Nicole Wolff? Did she ever play ball after UConn? Poor kid was a fine talent, but successive injuries really did her in. Become a coach?

Piqued my interest....this is the only thing that I found of recent dateline: is this her? Beer Marketing (Coors? Molson?)
https://twitter.com/nicole_wolff

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
iu.jpg

Found this with a quick search (although now I feel like a bit of a stalker).

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Ya I'm thinking a Boston girl like Niclole is unlikely to be a "lover of country music/beer marketer/hockey player" - ??

Probably true, but you never know. One of the nicest, more traditional Irish Catholic girls I met from ND was a member of the family that used to run booze cruises in Boston Harbor. You never know...but thanks for setting me straight with the proper Nicole Wolff!

Reaction Score
Probably true, but you never know. One of the nicest, more traditional Irish Catholic girls I met from ND was a member of the family that used to run booze cruises in Boston Harbor. You never know...but thanks for setting me straight with the proper Nicole Wolff!
Oh I don't know anything about how proper Nicole is, although I suspect she is since Geno & CD recruited her. I just figured nobody from Boston loved country music enough to put it as #1 in their top 3 things to put out there on social media.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
For better or for ill, if you want to be a coach in any sport you have to see yourself as a nomad. For players as well as coaches, sports is a humbling business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom