Coach Calhoun vs Coach K ? | The Boneyard

Coach Calhoun vs Coach K ?

Reaction Score
I believe JC is 4 - 3 vs Coach K. I thought I heard he is the only coach with a winning record vs Coach K. Does anyone know if this is a fact?

Reaction Score
The guy who coached Lehigh or SFA might have a winning record against him.
Good point. I should have included coaches with more then 1 game coached vs Coach K

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Duke lost the 1978 national title game to Kentucky. In the subsequent two seasons they made the tournament (a bit more difficult then) and finished the seasons ranked. The year after was K's first year at Duke.

Compare what K started with at Dike to what JC started with here and then tell me who accomplished more.

Yes, what K did was tremendous but what JC did was off the charts incredible.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
If Calhoun had Dick Vitale as his lead recruiter (as K did). He would have done much more wth the talent than Coach K. It would have put JC in Geno territory.
Your opinion about this seems to be a popular one on here.

There is no question that Calhoun did “more with less” compared to K.

But in the men’s game, there isn’t as wide of a gap between most top players (5* guys) and the rest (4* guys), as there is in the women’s game.

I wouldn’t trade a single team Calhoun had for one K had. 4 chips in 15 years. Hard to imagine things could have been better.

Plus, Calhoun pretty much had the pick of any players he wanted from 1999 on. I just think Calhoun and K preferred different type of guys.

Calhoun liked gritty, team first winners. K liked the 5 star divas.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
calhoun doesn't cry
Color his hair jet black at the age of 75

Have a losing season expunged from his record

Tell kids their ruining his program if they leave for the NBA

Allow dirty play and trash talking from people like Laettner, Allen and McRoberts

Turn a lottery pick into a 2nd round pick

And teaching kids how the flop

PS: K landed infinitely higher recruits than JC. Many primadonnas don't want to work, they just want to park their "talent" somewhere until they get drafted. That's where K and Squid reside..

Calhoun developed talent better than anyone ever.

Reaction Score
JC was one of the best at 'getting every drop of juice out of the orange'. He and his staff knew how to develope guys and he was great at adapting to his talent as well. The early successful teams pressed. He won his first championship with a guard oriented team. Then he won with Okafor/Gordon group. Finally, he let Kemba loose on the world. He knew he wasn't getting 88 McD's players so he took guys with a lot of potential and who didn't mind tough love. Both of those last two words were key in what he built.

I look at Coach K and see a guy who often got the best talent to underperform. The guy could recruit, but he was not the best X's and O's guy and was not the best at developing talent.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Calhoun is one of the best coaches of all time.

I'm not saying that Coach K is not but what I am saying is deep down in my gut I feel that Coach K is a weirdo.
I don’t know about that, but he kind of reminds me of this guy from the first Deadpool movie.

1646617312578.jpeg

Reaction Score
JC is 2-2 against K when it matters. In the tournament. Our 2 wins lead to championships. Only one of Ks wins lead to a championship. Our wins are both in the Final Four. Ks wins are in earlier rounds. Prior to the 99 final the national media had already crowned the 99 Duke team as the best team of all time. Now they are a forgotten runner up.

Also K lost both games with his dumb decisions. Giving the ball to poor ball handlers late in both games. Langdon and Reddick we improperly prepared for those moments. Khalid, RIP and Ben Gordon were extremely prepared for those moments. JC had put our guards in those situations many times. They knew exactly what to do. Don't turn the ball over. Beat your man. Win the game.

Reaction Score
To K's credit--When asked who he would not want to coach a big game against--He said-- JC-- Respect
Jim Calhoun seems the type a guy that would be comfortable leading men while walking the sidelines or storming the frontlines.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
There is no comparison. JC ate Krablooie's lunch throughout. And the great part is, he knew it. Here's the telling anecdote. March 29, 1999. St. Petersburgh. Tropicana Dome. UConn v Puke. Puke is the odds on favorite. We have no chance whatsoever. Midway through the first half, we were down 8-10 points, then came back to within a hoop or so. Jim put in Antric Klaiber for a few minutes. Basically told K that it doesn't matter who you have on the floor, we are going to beat your ass, even with our end-of-the-bench players. Total intimidation. Final result: 77-74. Jim was (still is) the greatest bench coach of all time. Understands the flow of the game and how to use it to our advantage. K is only looking for 'relationships.'

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom