Coach Calhoun vs Coach K ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coach Calhoun vs Coach K ?

Reaction Score
There is no comparison. JC ate Krablooie's lunch throughout. And the great part is, he knew it. Here's the telling anecdote. March 29, 1999. St. Petersburgh. Tropicana Dome. UConn v Puke. Puke is the odds on favorite. We have no chance whatsoever. Midway through the first half, we were down 8-10 points, then came back to within a hoop or so. Jim put in Antric Klaiber for a few minutes. Basically told K that it doesn't matter who you have on the floor, we are going to beat your ass, even with our end-of-the-bench players. Total intimidation. Final result: 77-74. Jim was (still is) the greatest bench coach of all time. Understands the flow of the game and how to use it to our advantage. K is only looking for 'relationships.'
Other than Magette Duke couldn't play their bench. Nate James. Chris something (big guy)..... all the bench players who got regular minutes in all the other games were useless against us. They played terrified and incapable of matching speed or physicality of the game. Our bench (mourning, Jones, wane, saunders) played well. Very well actually. And yes, Klaiber got some minutes :)

Reaction Score
I use to live a few homes from Jim Calhoun vacation home in Madison. He used to live next to a small community access beach.
I met him once but I did not say anything to him and I fully regret it.I just wanted to say thank you and I missed the opportunity in front of me. I saw him a few x riding his bike as well abs his wife was in stop b shop a couple x. I didn’t want to bother the man— I knew that he probably got bothered daily but I wanted him to that I was such a big fan and a hero to me-. I’m sure he’s a hero to many people here— there’s no comparing jc to anyone else imho.

Reaction Score
I use to live a few homes from Jim Calhoun vacation home in Madison. He used to live next to a small community access beach.
I met him once but I did not say anything to him and I fully regret it.I just wanted to say thank you and I missed the opportunity in front of me. I saw him a few x riding his bike as well abs his wife was in stop b shop a couple x. I didn’t want to bother the man— I knew that he probably got bothered daily but I wanted him to that I was such a big fan and a hero to me-. I’m sure he’s a hero to many people here— there’s no comparing jc to anyone else imho.
I doubt there is anything wrong with saying thanks for everything coach and then leaving him alone. Harry Carson was in line right behind me at our Boston Market a while back. I just said I enjoyed watching him play. He said thanks and we went out sep ways. Didn’t seem annoyed at all.

Reaction Score
He always reminded me of Isaac from Children of the Corn. I wouldn't say evil, but close to it.

1646662774008.png

Reaction Score
K is a better recruiter on paper. If they were given equal talent to work with it would be even more one sided for Calhoun.

Reaction Score
a good argument could be made that K underperformed considering the talent levels he enjoyed all these years.

Reaction Score
K is a better recruiter on paper. If they were given equal talent to work with it would be even more one sided for Calhoun.
It's easy to be a better recruiter when you have ESPN sucking you off for 30 years. Kids want national exposure, ESPN gives that to them at the expense of everyone else (except Kentucky)

Reaction Score
Calhoun was the best college coach I’ve ever seen. Took a program off the * pile from Perno, won with great and gritty Defense and a fun style. He is the most under-rated coach ever IMO. Coaches who follow him are facing unrealistic expectations because of what he accomplished.

Reaction Score
Coach K may have out talented Coach Calhoun. He never out coached him.

Reaction Score
Calhoun is the best program builder ever and in a big game I'm taking him over K. If I want my team to instantly be good I'm probably taking Pitino over anyone who has ever coached, complicated history but the guy is an amazing coach.

Reaction Score
Calhoun was the best college coach I’ve ever seen. Took a program off the * pile from Perno, won with great and gritty Defense and a fun style. He is the most under-rated coach ever IMO. Coaches who follow him are facing unrealistic expectations because of what he accomplished.

Why is it necessary to take a dump on Perno to compliment Calhoun? Perno wasn't the best guy to lead the Huskies but he won more than he lost and did take the Huskies to the NCAA tournament as well as multiple NITs. Perno ended up with a .549 winning percentage, 3rd best in UConn history. You don't have to blow out his candle to make JC's candle shine brighter. JC's legendary status stands on its own.

Reaction Score
Why is it necessary to take a dump on Perno to compliment Calhoun? Perno wasn't the best guy to lead the Huskies but he won more than he lost and did take the Huskies to the NCAA tournament as well as multiple NITs. Perno ended up with a .549 winning percentage, 3rd best in UConn history. You don't have to blow out his candle to make JC's candle shine brighter. JC's legendary status stands on its own.
Roger that, Mrs. Perno.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
There is no comparison. JC ate Krablooie's lunch throughout. And the great part is, he knew it. Here's the telling anecdote. March 29, 1999. St. Petersburgh. Tropicana Dome. UConn v Puke. Puke is the odds on favorite. We have no chance whatsoever. Midway through the first half, we were down 8-10 points, then came back to within a hoop or so. Jim put in Antric Klaiber for a few minutes. Basically told K that it doesn't matter who you have on the floor, we are going to beat your ass, even with our end-of-the-bench players. Total intimidation. Final result: 77-74. Jim was (still is) the greatest bench coach of all time. Understands the flow of the game and how to use it to our advantage. K is only looking for 'relationships.'
I watched that game at Joe Theisman's bar in Alexandria VA. 2 tables next to me at the bar, loaded with Dookies.

Down at halftime they were elated. Loudly, I said "Yes!".
They are looking at me like I am nuts.

Confidently, I turned to the nearest table and said, "This year we are undefeated when down at halftime!"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Perno wasn't the best guy to lead the Huskies but he won more than he lost and did take the Huskies to the NCAA tournament as well as multiple NITs. Perno ended up with a .549 winning percentage, 3rd best in UConn history.
Sort of. Perno is third best by total wins. He is 13th of 19 by winning percentage. Here’s the list for anyone who is curious.

C6FAC237-432E-43D8-B320-515133BF4775.jpeg

For what it’s worth Dom wasn’t a particularly good coach. Players really didn’t develop under him. I often wonder what Jim Calhoun would have done with Corny Thompson, Mike McKay, and Chuck Aleksinas. The team was ranked at one point during his final year. I’m gonna say top 20.

Reaction Score
Dom Perno: 7 of 9 coaching seasons were in the newly formed Big East. That was a tall order.

Reaction Score
How many McD All Americans did JC have? I've hear he had 8 in his entire UConn tenure.

K had 88.
does drummond count? if he didn't reclassify, i'm not sure how many kids were better than him in hs.

Reaction Score
Sort of. Perno is third best by total wins. He is 13th of 19 by winning percentage. Here’s the list for anyone who is curious.

View attachment 74155
For what it’s worth Dom wasn’t a particularly good coach. Players really didn’t develop under him. I often wonder what Jim Calhoun would have done with Corny Thompson, Mike McKay, and Chuck Aleksinas. The team was ranked at one point during his final year. I’m gonna say top 20.
Thanks for that.

We've had 5 coaches with winning percentages over .700, pretty decent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom