C'mon Omar, get out there! | The Boneyard

C'mon Omar, get out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We're dying for a shooter. KO says the knee's 100%, get out there and start chuckin'! Everything will feel better after the 1st swish.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You'll see him Thursday- if you see him at all.

Reaction Score
You'll see him Thursday- if you see him at all.
To me that would be a mistake. He's very rusty and to throw him in against the #2 team in the nation is asking for disaster. Coppin State would be a good way to work his way back in. I see Dook murdering him.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Strained Knee, sprained knee usually involve actual muscle fiber tears that have to heal, including nerves.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm beginning to think he's scared, and this game would have been the game to work some of that stuff out

I don't see him playing against Dook, I'd be shocked

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
fwiw, he looked pretty happy on the bench; not the demeanor of someone who is looking to leave.

But he didn't look like someone dieing to get in the game either.

Reaction Score
8893 said:
Noticed that too. I really have no idea what to make of his situation at this point.

The same explanation basically holds if he's planning on staying or going (or not sure). As soon as he plays, a year of eligibility is used up. The logic is obvious if he's going - if he's staying, it's likely more an overabundance of caution to make sure he feels healthy enough to use up a year, so he doesn't waste another one on the bench. It's just a case where his best interests aren't necessarily lined up with ours at the moment.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to try to read the kid's mind, but if it really is a matter of feeling comfortable, today would have been a nice low stakes day to get comfy. I think a few members of the Boneyard could have put up some points against Coppin State.

On the other hand, if he's off the scouting report and he hits a couple unexpected big shots against Duke that prove meaningful, I'm all for it. A healthy and focused Omar Calhoun is a damn good player and can be a real asset to this team. I'm really, really hoping that he goes on Thursday.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think he is staying. Don't want him too comfortable on the bench.
But I get what Gurley is saying. He doesn't have a lot of chances left to impress. Last thing he needs is another bad season. But he can't let that pressure get in his head.

Reaction Score
The same explanation basically holds if he's planning on staying or going (or not sure). As soon as he plays, a year of eligibility is used up. The logic is obvious if he's going - if he's staying, it's likely more an overabundance of caution to make sure he feels healthy enough to use up a year, so he doesn't waste another one on the bench. It's just a case where his best interests aren't necessarily lined up with ours at the moment.

You can only redshirt once, so I don't think it really matters. For instance, unless he's gonna graduate a year early, he's going to have to sit out the season next year regardless if he were to leave. If he plays this year, he'll have one year of eligibility remaining. If he doesn't play this year, he'll still have one year of eligibility remaining because he used two redshirt years, and two playing years, for a total of three that "count" in the NCAA's eyes. Although I guess he could apply for a medical redshirt, which is probably what you're referring to.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
You can only redshirt once, so I don't think it really matters. For instance, unless he's gonna graduate a year early, he's going to have to sit out the season next year regardless if he were to leave. If he plays this year, he'll have one year of eligibility remaining. If he doesn't play this year, he'll still have one year of eligibility remaining because he used two redshirt years, and two playing years, for a total of three that "count" in the NCAA's eyes. Although I guess he could apply for a medical redshirt, which is probably what you're referring to.
Unless I've hit my head and lost a year somewhere, he hasn't red shirted yet. He played in each of his first two seasons. This is his third year and if he doesn't play this year, he has two years of eligibility left and wouldn't have to sit out next year if he is at UConn.

Reaction Score
Unless I've hit my head and lost a year somewhere, he hasn't red shirted yet. He played in each of his first two seasons. This is his third year and if he doesn't play this year, he has two years of eligibility left and wouldn't have to sit out next year if he is at UConn.

Last year just felt like a redshirt year.

Reaction Score
johnhuskies95 said:

A midyear transfer changes the math.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
At the game today I wondered out loud, What would the situation be if JC was still the coach and Omar's status was as is.
Three guys around me, almost in unison, said Omar would either be in uniform or not there at all.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why would Omar transfer? He has a role here.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty confused why so many people here think hes going to transfer. He came off an injury too fast last year and does not want to do that again and lose a full season. If he wanted to transfer he would have chose to do that this summer. This injury has nothing to do with Omar transferring he will be playing an important role with this team in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom