C'mon Huskies! Official Iowa State vs. UCONN prediction thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

C'mon Huskies! Official Iowa State vs. UCONN prediction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's a little history to the Iowa State "Hawkeyes". When we played you guys in 2002, there was no TV for the game. All we had was radio, and our longtime UConn bball/football announcer Joe D'Ambrosio kept calling you the "Hawkeyes". I still remember people on your rivals board getting p'd about it, as I believe UConn had the only internet radio feed. Even our announcers were going through 1AA-to-1A transition growing pains. So hopefully he gets it right this time.

We just kind of assume that everyone on the east coast is completely ignorant to everything west of the Appalachians, and unfortunately, more often than not, the media confirms our suspicion. It's a joke among both ISU and U of I fans how national announcers will say things like "Iowa Cyclones" or "Iowa State Hawkeyes". We both hate it, and have gotten used to the rest of the nation not knowing the difference between anything between the Appalachians and the Rockies. Except for caucus time that is.

But I figured (correctly it seems) that it was just a joke. I wasn't mad at all, it's just that I assume a level of ignorance about the midwest when it comes to east coasters, and it's nice to see that you guys aren't falling into that category.

FWIW, I've generally cheered for the Huskies since you guys ruined Pete Taylor's (legendary ISU play-by-play guy) last home game.

Reaction Score
I think we get surprised. We always seem to push around B12 teams. Still, with the abortion that was last weeks game, I am going to hedge a bit.

Blue 24
Red 13

DJ pounds out 13 carries, McCombs(fresh) explodes for some runs in the 2nd half. Nebrich comes in in the 2nd quarter and does not relinquish the role.

Hey, a man can hope.

Reaction Score
UCONN Defense/ST + Teggart.......17
UCONN Offense + ISU.................28

....but will cheer like crazy for the huskies!!!!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My prediction:

We'll score fewer points than I would like (although if we score 70 and have ten minutes left I would still want more) and we'll likely give up more points than I would like (unless it's a shutout, which by the way will arrive at some point this season, we'll end up giving up more than I would like).

We may still win however. ;)

Reaction Score
I think we get surprised. We always seem to push around B12 teams. Still, with the abortion that was last weeks game, I am going to hedge a bit.

Blue 24
Red 13

DJ pounds out 13 carries, McCombs(fresh) explodes for some runs in the 2nd half. Nebrich comes in in the 2nd quarter and does not relinquish the role.

Hey, a man can hope.

Who have you played from the B12 recently? Just can't quite remember. I know you played a couple games with Baylor since Briles has taken over there. IIRC you won both of those games.

Reaction Score
Pushed around Baylors DLine very, very badly two years in a row Griffins Freshman/Sophomore years. It was a while ago but when we just came into D1 we pushed Iowa State around.

Even against Oklahoma, it wasn't like we couldn't run the ball, we just couldn't keep up with that offense. I guess I am just not rather impressed with the Physicality of B12 teams. You guys seem to rely more on skill and speed than size and strength. That tends to work in our favor.

Reaction Score

Hey guys, another Cyclone fan here. Thought I'd drop off my two cents about the big game on Friday. The Husky run game is really good, and it seems like it's thanks to the experienced offensive line you guys have. Todman was great, but your new guy McCombs is still on pace for a 1500 yard season as a freshman. While Iowa hangs their hat on their offensive line and their running game, I think UConn presents a bigger challenge for the Cyclone defense on the ground.

That's the good news for you. The bad news is that the odds of a significant passing threat being developed against the Cyclones seem slim. In addition to the less than average QB play that you guys are talking about, Iowa State's secondary is pretty good. In fact, I would go as far as to say they have a chance to be one of the best secondaries in the Big XII this year. Cornerbacks Jeremy Reeves and Leonard Johnson are really good in man coverage (Fun Fact: Paul Rhoads was the defensive coordinator at Pitt when Darrelle Revis was there, so he has some idea what good cover corners look like), Ter'Ran Benton brings versatility to the Strong Safety position after having played corner and nickel in the past, and Jacques Washington is a play maker at Free Safety. This means that our defensive strength should disrupt your offensive weakness, leaving the Huskies to survive on their ground game for most of the day, having to handle the likes of stud linebackers Jake Knott and A.J. Klein and a decent defensive line. If you're seeing 3rd and 5+ too often, you're going to have a long night.

On the other side of the ball, your defense is really experienced, stingy, and opportunistic, while Iowa State is -5 in turnovers on the year. As you guys have been saying, this is the key to a Husky victory. I like your defense to make some big plays against this inexperienced Cyclone offense, especially early, on their first road trip of the year and Steele Jantz's first trip to a hostile environment wearing Cardinal and Gold. However, one aspect that works in our favor is our stable of running backs. Shontrelle Johnson, James White, and Jeff Woody will all get carries, challenging the Husky defense to stop all of their unique running styles. It might be difficult given the shortened week. Throw in the legs and the arm of Steele Jantz, and the Cyclones have a variety of effective ways to attack on offense. Steele Jantz is a smart player who is going to buy enough time to find which of those options is best and make it happen.

I know nothing about UConn's special teams, but Iowa State has return and punting units that typically result in Iowa State having the advantage in field position. Punter Kirby Van Der Kamp is averaging 51.3 yards per punt, while Josh Lenz is averaging 25 yards per kick return. People typically don't kick to our other guy Shontrelle Johnson, but when Iowa did last week, he got 40 yards.

On game day, the Cyclones are likely going to come out a little flat at the beginning of the game. Going to a different time zone to play football in a hostile environment is bound to affect the execution to start with. Jantz made some big mistakes against UNI simply because it was his first D1 game. Eventually, defending the versatility of Iowa State's offense is going to be a real challenge for UConn. Harder yet is the task of running the ball for more points than Iowa State can put up. My heart says a bigger gap than this, but my mind is telling me 27-13 Cyclones. In the event of a close game, Jantz is the obvious favorite in making plays in the clutch. This is college football, though, so who knows what will happen? There are certainly more ways than I've mentioned for UConn to come out on top of this one, and that's why they play the game. Best of luck to you guys, I'll be around for the week.

Reaction Score
If I felt as confident as I did in our QB play last year [as little as that was], I'd think we'd win. Unfortunately, I don't have that much. Maybe they'll surprise me.

Reaction Score
I know how bad we looked last week, but I keep coming back to the fact that we haven't lost a home game since October 31st, 2009, and have a ridiculous record in night-home games. You don't just walk into The Rent and think you're coming out with a W. I'd like to think the boys will have a fire lit under their asses this week and will come out looking to make a statement. That said, I'm standing by my original prediction...

8-6 UConn

Reaction Score
Pushed around Baylors DLine very, very badly two years in a row Griffins Freshman/Sophomore years. It was a while ago but when we just came into D1 we pushed Iowa State around.

Even against Oklahoma, it wasn't like we couldn't run the ball, we just couldn't keep up with that offense. I guess I am just not rather impressed with the Physicality of B12 teams. You guys seem to rely more on skill and speed than size and strength. That tends to work in our favor.

I forgot that you guys played OU in your Fiesta Bowl appearance.

You guys worked us in '02, but thankfully that was 9 years ago.

Looking at who you've played this year, and how you've played against them, I'd be tempted to pick ISU by a mile. But I've seen enough UConn football games over the past few years to know better. Your defense seems to historically have the ability to just drag faster, skilled offense down and bludgeon them. Even when your offense has been limited (and it seems like this is usually the case), your defense just bloodies opponents to the point, it's always a game. Seeing how good your home record has been lately is another shot at my confidence in this game. Edsall took you guys from nothing to legit in a short time, and it's a pretty damn remarkable story.

You haven't scored an offensive TD since the Cinci game last year, right?

Reaction Score
You haven't scored an offensive TD since the Cinci game last year, right?
We had 5 offensive TDs in our opener this year vs Fordham, but yeah, for all intents & purposes, Cincy was the last real game with an offensive TD.

Reaction Score
We had 5 offensive TDs in our opener this year vs Fordham, but yeah, for all intents & purposes, Cincy was the last real game with an offensive TD.

Got ya. Must have been "no offensive TDs against an FBS opponent" then. I heard someone bandying that "fact" about, but wasn't sure about it.

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
I have a Solution! Each time J Mac messes up, just tell the other team he just needs another 10 try's to get it perfect for the YouTube clip!

Reaction Score
Welcome ISU fans! I have to go with our dogs. Our offense can't play any worse than against Vandy. Our defense should be even better. I would say 24-17 with UCONN D scoring 1 TD. UCONN will focus on run game with Shoemate back. Johnny MAC is going to make couple of throws. It should be a great game.

We might as well enjoy it since we might be seeing ISU frequently soon enough. From everything from reading their board, they seem to have some great fans. They would be a welcoming addition to the BE.

Reaction Score
Uconn 24 ISU 17.
We won't be incompetent on offense on friday. We will once again look better at home than we do on the road. We will pressure the visitor a lot more than we could on the road and make it a close game. Special teams will provide a spark for us. We might not be able to show a great passing game but we will be able to complete enough to keep drives going. The running game including QB runs will be more productive. This game will not look like what we saw last saturday. Coach will not stick with the starters if they are not producing. I'm certain that we won't have a repeat because no starter who plays that way will be in there for the whole game. His replacement whoever he is will do a better job than what we saw saturday. It will be a memorable night in more ways than one.

Reaction Score
Huskies come out fired up after Kemba gives a pre-game pep talk. Defense rises to the occasion and dominates. Teggart goes 5 for 5.

Huskies 15 Cyclones 14

Reaction Score
Welcome to the 'Yard Cyclone fans! Caught some of your game last week vs. Iowa(congrats!) and was very impressed with Steele Jantz. The kid can really make plays with his arm and his legs. I feel confident that our D is solid enough to at least contain your offense and give them a battle, but as you've probably read here, we have major issues with our offense, mainly the QB position. Our current stater (McEntee) is coming off a horrendous game at Vandy last week, albeit his first start against a FBS opponent. My guess is he'll get another chance to start this week, but it's likely you'll see our other 2 QBs at some points during the game, especially if McEntee continues to struggle.

My heart says our offense gets it together, holds its weight and UConn wins a close one, but your passing attack has me really worried about this game. Here's to a clean injury-free game without any controversial calls deciding the outcome.

Reaction Score
Is it bad that I'm too terrified to even make a pick?

On a bonus note, my boss is an Iowa State alum so we're all bailing early on Friday to get an early start tailgating. So even if our abysmal offense manages to completely fail again, at least I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

That being said, we are a significantly better home team than away team. Enough to make up for... everything else?

We'll see.

Reaction Score
Hey Dog fans! ISU fan here chiming in on this prediction. First off, I love your fan base! You all seem so polite and hopefully our two schools play each other frequently if the Big 12 collapses. Second, I am really worried about this game. ISU has had a few nice road wins the past few years, but I think the Uconn defense will stop ISU's offense when it matters most. I see key turnovers by Iowa State that will change momentum. My pick is...Uconn 10 - ISU 7. I think it will be a great game and maybe a chance for our two schools to be there for each other.

Here is to a great game!

Go Cyclones! And Huskies!

Reaction Score
Uconn 28 ISU 24

I think our offense comes together and Johnny Mac limits his mistakes. I expect the defense to be consistent (shut down 90% of the offense but lapse on a few plays). Special teams is due to break out with a few big returns, great coverage on ST defense and a strong kicking game.

Reaction Score
Honestly, though...I don't think Rhodes loses this game. ISU wins. However, as mentioned above, i love your fan base as well, here's to future match ups and a possible friendly rivalry if we happen to end up in a conference where we play each other consistently. :)

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I can almost guarantee a UConn victory now since I was just in Las Vegas for work and put down some dough on ISU to win the game straight up. Given the spread, a $100 bet on ISU to win would get you $170 (plus your original $100). I know it might sound strange to bet against your own team but I think of it as a mental hedge. If they lose, at least I made some money. If they win, I won't care about the money lost. Completely worth it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom