2022 Recruiting: - Clingan Update | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Clingan Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can we stop with the overconfidence in getting recruiting targets and dismissing any time a kid gets an offer elsewhere

I have no idea if the kid wants to go elsewhere or not. Considering he doesn't want to leave his home town for HS, I'd venture to guess that being 35 minutes from that HS is a good thing. Regardless, I'm just saying your confidence (or lack thereof) really shouldn't change based on this interview. Like most of these articles, it's pretty meaningless.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I have no idea if the kid wants to go elsewhere or not. Considering he doesn't want to leave his home town for HS, I'd venture to guess that being 35 minutes from that HS is a good thing. Regardless, I'm just saying your confidence (or lack thereof) really shouldn't change based on this interview. Like most of these articles, it's pretty meaningless.

I get what you're saying 429 but this quote makes it a little more meaningful than most- “Just because they are close to home doesn’t make me like them any more.”

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I’m sure it’s a good thing, and the kid seemed to really enjoy himself at whatever game he went to last season (I can’t remember but I was there). But it’s just mad mojo when people basically claim he’s ours and dismisses any other program (unless you have information). He should absolutely explore around the country and soak it all in.
Of course, hope he comes to the good guys and we are in a good spot it seems. But some people on here start to sound like Cuse fans about recruits in their backyard.

Reaction Score
I get what you're saying 429 but this quote makes it a little more meaningful than most- “Just because they are close to home doesn’t make me like them any more.”

Actions speak louder than words to me. He has yet to do anything that doesn't indicate he wants to be close to home for school. He plays for a smaller regional AAU team and didn't leave his high school. Those are meaningful actions. Doesn't mean he's picking UConn--there's plenty of good schools nearby.

I teach high school English. Half my college-bound students every year say they "want to move away for college" and end up going to UConn, CCSU or something. Talk is cheap.

Certainly no offense intended to the kid. He may be gigantic but he's still a kid. I wouldn't be surprised if he decides moving away actually could be better for his career. I'm not sure he (or many other kids) have really taken the time to think through these decision yet.

Reaction Score
I’m sure it’s a good thing, and the kid seemed to really enjoy himself at whatever game he went to last season (I can’t remember but I was there). But it’s just mad mojo when people basically claim he’s ours and dismisses any other program (unless you have information). He should absolutely explore around the country and soak it all in.
Of course, hope he comes to the good guys and we are in a good spot it seems. But some people on here start to sound like Cuse fans about recruits in their backyard.

For sure. Way too much time left to think he's a lock. He has a lot of maturing to do on and off the court before he'll be ready to make those decisions with his father. Crazy that kids are making decisions at 16 that could mean they make millions in the NBA or flop completely. Ridiculous amount of pressure at that age.

Reaction Score
from the article

Clingan said he has spoken with both head coaches and assistant coaches at all of the schools that have offered. That includes UConn coach Danny Hurley as the Huskies make their return to the Big East Conference this season.

If Clingan, 16, is leaning one way or another, he is not telling.

“They (UConn) mean the same to me as every other school does. (Hurley) is a great, funny dude and is leading that program in the right direction,” Clingan said. “Just because they are close to home doesn’t make me like them any more.”

He's pissed off about being -talked by the trogs on this board

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Can we stop with the overconfidence in getting recruiting targets and dismissing any time a kid gets an offer elsewhere
I guessing no, but it is a nice dream.

CL82

Reaction Score
Actions speak louder than words to me. He has yet to do anything that doesn't indicate he wants to be close to home for school. He plays for a smaller regional AAU team and didn't leave his high school. Those are meaningful actions. Doesn't mean he's picking UConn--there's plenty of good schools nearby.

I teach high school English. Half my college-bound students every year say they "want to move away for college" and end up going to UConn, CCSU or something. Talk is cheap.

Certainly no offense intended to the kid. He may be gigantic but he's still a kid. I wouldn't be surprised if he decides moving away actually could be better for his career. I'm not sure he (or many other kids) have really taken the time to think through these decision yet.
I think he is just being smart and keeping his options open and his opinions to himself. He has plenty of time and may, in light of the vaccines actually get a chance to take visits. It makes zero sense to limit his options now. That sophistication makes me want the kid more not, not less.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Considering you'd almost have to be 65 or older to have been a coach when Ewing or Sampson came out, this isn't surprising.
Bring it up to 70 and you could include Kareem, Russell, Chamberlain, Olajuwon, Walton and more. BTW, looked up the Wiki write-up on Russell who was starring when I was a child. Amazing athlete and story.
Bill Russell - Wikipedia

Reaction Score
Dan to Lil Sool-It would take balls to leave philly
Dan to DC-It would take balls to stay in CT

Actually not as disingenuous as it sounds.
Most great Philly players stay to play in Philly.
Most great Connecticut players leave to play elsewhere.
So yeah, Dan can say that...

Reaction Score
Don't ever fall in love with a recruit before they've committed. That's rule #1 about keeping your sanity with this stuff. The way this staff has been kicking ass on the trail the past 2 years, I'm sure they will find a very talented big for that spot - whether it be Clingan or someone else.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Dan to Lil Sool-It would take balls to leave philly
Dan to DC-It would take balls to stay in CT
Storrs CT - College Basketball Capital of the World. Irrefutable logic.

Reaction Score
Don't ever fall in love with a recruit before they've committed. That's rule #1 about keeping your sanity with this stuff. The way this staff has been kicking ass on the trail the past 2 years, I'm sure they will find a very talented big for that spot - whether it be Clingan or someone else.

Good call but easier said than done lol. As I’ve grayed in the hair it’s easier to lay back and take these very solid rules but there is still that occasional “one.” For me it will be the CT kid who I’d love to stay home and watch grow. Other than that it’s become a bit easier over the years.

I do remember the many losses that hurt such as Tony Scott, Perry Carter, Randall Jackson and so so many others I hoped said yes.

For those just starting to get into the recruiting process don’t take Vikings rules lightly.

Reaction Score

When I was graduating hs I had the opportunity to go to Notre Dame, my grades were borderline, but both of my parents were alumni, and my dad's former doctoral advisor was the dean of admissions, I was getting in...all I had to do was write an essay and apply. I had been accepted by UConn already, so I never even applied. As a kid, it seemed the best move coz UConn was the #5 party school in America and 20 minutes from home...UConn asked me to leave after 3 semesters... Evidently I was unable to treat college as an extension of the party that was my HS career....I'll bet I would have worked harder had I gone away...that said, this kid would have a team of advisors wherever he goes. (I ended up graduating from Quinnipiac, and in my field, your alma mater doesn't much matter. I'm a surgical rep)

CL82

Reaction Score
When I was graduating hs I had the opportunity to go to Notre Dame, my grades were borderline, but both of my parents were alumni, and my dad's former doctoral advisor was the dean of admissions, I was getting in...all I had to do was write an essay and apply. I had been accepted by UConn already, so I never even applied. As a kid, it seemed the best move coz UConn was the #5 party school in America and 20 minutes from home...UConn asked me to leave after 3 semesters... Evidently I was unable to treat college as an extension of the party that was my HS career....I'll bet I would have worked harder had I gone away...that said, this kid would have a team of advisors wherever he goes. (I ended up graduating from Quinnipiac, and in my field, your alma mater doesn't much matter. I'm a surgical rep)
My uncle was on the board of admission at a local Ivy. He told me that if I wanted to go there, I was in. I didn’t. I always wanted to go to UConn. It turned out to be a great decision for me in that I made some great friends and got a good education that I still use to this day and a passion for UConn sports. It worked out well for me.

Reaction Score
Obviously, it’s fine wherever the big man wants to go but remember he hasnt really ever had a taste of real Uconn basketball - he was in what second grade when they won the title in 2014 ? maybe this year once he sees the Big East and Uconn fever and especially next year when the crowds are back he’ll change his mind. Michigan st ? ugh. Awful. Hate big 10. I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that UConn has been pretty trashy the past five years. if this was 10 years ago no way he goes to Michigan State

Reaction Score
Obviously, it’s fine wherever the big man wants to go but remember he hasnt really ever had a taste of real Uconn basketball - he was in what second grade when they won the title in 2014 ? maybe this year once he sees the Big East and Uconn fever and especially next year when the crowds are back he’ll change his mind. Michigan st ? ugh. Awful. Hate big 10. I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that UConn has been pretty trashy the past five years. if this was 10 years ago no way he goes to Michigan State

Math Much???? 2nd grade in '14 would put him in 8th grade now.

Reaction Score
He seems like a really decent kid. He can go anywhere he wants, and ought to do what he thinks is best for him and his family. Pressuring the kid to stay home out of obligation is a formula for failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom