2022 Recruiting: - Clingan Taking His Time with Recruiting Process (Syracuse on SI) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Clingan Taking His Time with Recruiting Process (Syracuse on SI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know where he's going, but IMO, we're loaded up front. He may very well commit to Uconn, just my guess and I'm not suggesting that he doesn't like competition, just that he could probably get more playing time elsewhere
We are not that loaded. Javonte Brown just left. Richie Springs is a project at best. Adama has promise but is not tall enough to really guard centers. He comes to Uconn and he starts ASAP.

F

FanMan

We are not that loaded. Javonte Brown just left. Richie Springs is a project at best. Adama has promise but is not tall enough to really guard centers. He comes to Uconn and he starts ASAP.
I don't know if Clingan will start asap. I would think he would need a little adjustment time to get used to the tempo of D1. I could see some decent minutes off the bench as a possibility. I think the staff are an "earn it" type of crew.

Reaction Score
I don't know if Clingan will start asap. I would think he would need a little adjustment time to get used to the tempo of D1. I could see some decent minutes off the bench as a possibility. I think the staff are an "earn it" type of crew.
Seems Clingan and his family are being smart realizing this. As I said before, they don't seem like the type to buy any Calipari like b.s.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Adama is 6’9 with a 7’3 wingspan. He is plenty tall enough to guard centers. Clingan is not starting over a junior Sanogo, who I imagine will be an all conference type center by that point. But Clingan seems to be a buy in kid who likely wouldn’t mind sharing time for his first year or two. Loyalty seems to be important to him. He’s not a kid who’s going to be looking to play 1 or 2 years and jump. He’s likely a 3+ year guy for any team.

F

FanMan

Adama is 6’9 with a 7’3 wingspan. He is plenty tall enough to guard centers. Clingan is not starting over a junior Sanogo, who I imagine will be an all conference type center by that point. But Clingan seems to be a buy in kid who likely wouldn’t mind sharing time for his first year or two. Loyalty seems to be important to him. He’s not a kid who’s going to be looking to play 1 or 2 years and jump. He’s likely a 3+ year guy for any team.
I have a feeling Clingan will surprise alot of us.....and the staff.

Reaction Score

Agreed. Adama is 100% a center. And more than big enough to play it at this level.

No one should ever expect a freshman big to be ready day 1. It's too challenging a position defensively--very few adjust that quickly.

Reaction Score
Bouk didn’t even start from day one

Reaction Score
I have a feeling Clingan will surprise alot of us.....and the staff.
Is this an ominous statement or a positive one?

Surprise as to how good he is or Surprise as to he chooses another school?

Do you have any inside information?

Reaction Score
Or I doubt he start over Samson Johnson who will be a Sophomore with crazy athleticism

Reaction Score
Or I doubt he start over Samson Johnson who will be a Sophomore with crazy athleticism
I think Johnson was recruited to play more of a 4 role, sort of like Akok. So I think Clingan and Johnson can play in the same lineup.

Still he showed promise away from the rim and the belief in him as a guy who can play at the four was big for UConn.

Reaction Score
I don't quite understand why anybody sees Samson Johnson as competing with Donovan Clingan for any playing time. Samson Johnson played PF with Sanogo as the 5 at the Patrick School. He's no more a center than Akok Akok or Donyell Marshall or Kenton Facey or Charlie V., are/were. He will primarily be playing the 4 position the way these guys did, and on the court at the same time as Sanogo/Clingan at center. There will certainly moments when he is on the court as a 5 because he is tall and versatile, but that just gives us flexibility. Recruiting wise, when we are recruiting Clingan, Sanogo will be the only true center on the roster. Springs isn't playing center either as his primary position. I don't even ignore 'center' as a position of need for depth next year, let alone that we have some type of logjam. Whaley or Carlton staying a year to get a grad degree would be perfect, (however unlikely).

Reaction Score
If given a choice at center between either 6’3” Gaffney or 6’9” Sanogo, we’d all choose Sanogo. He’s 6” taller, at the position where height matters most of all.

That said, I’d put a 7’3” (skilled) Clingan at center every day of the week. He’s 6 inches taller than Sanogo. 6 inches taller. Think about how large that is. Sanogo dwarfs Gaffney. Clingan dwarfs Sanogo.

Is Sanogo a legit center, size wise, in college? Absolutely. But Clingan has that once in a generation size. And he’s skilled.

If he comes here, he starts at some point his freshman year. Sanogo plays 4/5.

Reaction Score
If given a choice at center between either 6’3” Gaffney or 6’9” Sanogo, we’d all choose Sanogo. He’s 6” taller, at the position where height matters most of all.

That said, I’d put a 7’3” (skilled) Clingan at center every day of the week. He’s 6 inches taller than Sanogo. 6 inches taller. Think about how large that is. Sanogo dwarfs Gaffney. Clingan dwarfs Sanogo.

Is Sanogo a legit center, size wise, in college? Absolutely. But Clingan has that once in a generation size. And he’s skilled.

If he comes here, he starts at some point his freshman year. Sanogo plays 4/5.
I’m following. Versus Clingan then, let’s go after:

1610777011378.jpeg

F

FanMan

In the age of Covid, I have seen many athletes commit a little closer to home rather than far away. Just I case I guess.

Reaction Score
I hope our confident posters are right about Clingan being a UConn lean. I really have my heart set on him being here. My concern is Michigan. In the local radio interview in one of our old threads, he expressed that he was a real fan of Michigan, (not Mich St). Now they are set for a deep NCAA run with Hunter Dickenson playing big minutes as a freshman, and having huge impact being selected for national freshman honors. As a Dickenson clone, Clingan can see exactly how he would be used, and would likely dovetail with Dickenson moving on. That seems to me like a lot of arrows in Howard's quiver. Keep posting your confidence in him being a Husky so I don't need to suffer as much over the next year.

I have seen Dereck Lively have a good game, but I have also seen him do nothing. He's a nice player but is over ranked by 50 based on my 2-3x watching him, (still top 100). At this point he seems to me the kind of player that keeps you in the upper tier of the Big East, but doesn't get you any closer to chasing the final four. If he's our center, we will need other players that are Bouknight, Napier, Walker, stars. (Keep in mind I wasn't high on Samson Johnson and that opinion has changed big time. I only saw Lively once this fall). In other words, imo Clingan offers so much more team upside than Lively, I can't get my mind around the idea that I should be just as happy with Lively if we don't land Clingan.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This isn't "going away to college", this is professional development. Why would he choose a program in decline?

In decline? Come on. It doesn’t matter to the NBA where you go. Including some school in France or Croatia. You either have it or you don’t. Ja Morant was the #2 pick. Clingan making the league is no less likely at Norte Dame than at UConn. Mike Brey is a solid coach.

So yes, it is “going away to college”. Most college players will never sniff a pro career. Given the trends in the NBA I’m not convinced Clingan is a major prospect.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
My money is on ND. Plenty of kids went to get away for college. Keeping CT kids in state is not a forgone conclusion and not convincing them to do so is not a failure.
Plenty of kids do you want to get away for college. Plenty of kids who are athletes go to college where their parents can see them. Donovan is very close with his dad. I think that playing somewhere where his dad can see most of his games in person will be a consideration. I also think UConn plays a fun, exciting brand of basketball with a great staff. Clingan is a smart kid and a great talent who will strongly consider us. Ultimately he will make the choice that’s right for him and his family. I wish him the best regardless of where he ends up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul