2022 Recruiting: - Clingan Taking His Time with Recruiting Process (Syracuse on SI) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Clingan Taking His Time with Recruiting Process (Syracuse on SI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FanMan

His free throw shooting needs to improve. It is awful. I had 24, 15 and 6 blocks. It was hard to watch, The guards definitely don't recognize the timing when he gets open. They see him open and it seems like they wait until the defense collapses on him and THEN pass it to him. Late on the pass consistently.

Reaction Score
Watched a bit of the game. I wish he kept his hand up more on defense, he’d have a lot more blocks and rebounds. Seems like he’s out there giving 80% effort at times.

F

FanMan

Watched a bit of the game. I wish he kept his hand up more on defense, he’d have a lot more blocks and rebounds. Seems like he’s out there giving 80% effort at times.
I agree. Dont know if it is playing with masks or if he got hurt when he went down in the 2nd or third quarter.

Reaction Score
Amazing how much good weight he has on him. I grew up in Bristol, went to about four of his games last year. Was planning on going to a bunch more this year but COVID puked on that itinerary. Would love to see him develop at UConn.

Reaction Score
I agree. Dont know if it is playing with masks or if he got hurt when he went down in the 2nd or third quarter.

It's just a big kid playing against smaller kid thing. The instinct is to play upright with hands down near the ball... it's a skill that will be learned quickly in a practice (hopefully at UConn) vs some other big boys. Personally, that's not a big concern of mine.

What I'm seeing a lot of is that he isn't able to play as aggressively/physically as he would versus other 6'10+ guys. Pushing someone around is a lot more noticeable to the refs when you're a foot taller than them.

Reaction Score
It's nice that he wants to stay at Bristol Central, but it certainly will hold back his development cycle (which I am sure the family knows as they are a basketball family). The only thing that will develop him before he hits college is AAU and pick up games where the best local players go to pick up some more competition. Can he play in the Hartford summer league?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
2-8 from the FT line????

Hard pass.

Bring him on campus for an official and tell him there's a scholarship waiting for him if he can go 10-20 from the line. Anything less than that and he's off to Ann Arbor or South Canada.

(I kid. Mostly. More than those who take this seriously.)

F

FanMan

2-8 from the FT line????

Hard pass.

Bring him on campus for an official and tell him there's a scholarship waiting for him if he can go 10-20 from the line. Anything less than that and he's off to Ann Arbor or South Canada.

(I kid. Mostly. More than those who take this seriously.)
I'm pretty sure Juwan Howard would be ok with that. Wasn't there a big center that stunk from the line that still dominated? Hall of famer?? Someone help me out. Lol

F

FanMan

2 dominant games and has 1 game under 30 pts and all of a sudden he's bad....lol. As far as staying at Bristol Central goes......18 offers....high majors.....Do you think maybe they know more than us? Just a thought.

Reaction Score
2 dominant games and has 1 game under 30 pts and all of a sudden he's bad....lol. As far as staying at Bristol Central goes......18 offers....high majors.....Do you think maybe they know more than us? Just a thought.
Nobody said he was bad nor did I say he should move out of Bristol Central (my daughter was connected to the school and she went on to become a national level D-1 athlete so I have nothing but respect for it). What I did say was that staying there will slow down his development. Look, if a player has his body dimensions and skill level you will get noticed and offers galore (gone are the days when kids get unnoticed). But, you'd have to agree that his development is being held back by playing there with the players around him/competing against him. This is just the reality of the situation. I hope he comes to UConn and develops into a lottery pick. Who amongst us wouldn't?

F

FanMan

He doesn't play at JUST Bristol Central. There are articles with how his mom played at Bristol Central and went on to hold records and play in the tournament. He plays for what I heard is one of the top 17u independent AAU team in the country. And he's 16! I think I read he is remaining at Bristol Central to honor his mom and get his name in the Bristol Central record books with hers. I mean, this conversation about him being held back by playing there has been going on since his freshman year yet more and more offers continue to come in. And he is definitely better than when he was as a freshman. So not improving or being held back cuz he is playing at Bristol Central seems to be disproven.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
He doesn't play at JUST Bristol Central. There are articles with how his mom played at Bristol Central and went on to hold records and play in the tournament. He plays for what I heard is one of the top 17u independent AAU team in the country. And he's 16! I think I read he is remaining at Bristol Central to honor his mom and get his name in the Bristol Central record books with hers. I mean, this conversation about him being held back by playing there has been going on since his freshman year yet more and more offers continue to come in. And he is definitely better than when he was as a freshman. So not improving or being held back cuz he is playing at Bristol Central seems to be disproven.

Independent means not on a shoe circuit?
Is the comp on the independent circuit comparable to the shoe circuits, for those up on grass roots these days?

Reaction Score
But, you'd have to agree that his development is being held back by playing there with the players around him/competing against him.
Don’t think anyone should be doubting Hurley’s talent evaluation given all the talent he’s already brought into the program.

F

FanMan

Nobody but this guy knows Donovan personally and overreacts to posts constantly
Overreacts to the same old nonsense. As far as the eybl goes.......they ALL wanted him. He chose to stay with his independent team. Would be a good question for an interviewer as to why he didn't go to the shoe league. Oh yeah, they didn't play at all this past summer and fall but Donovan's team did. You won't hear from me anymore. I will ask the admins to remove my info from this group. Good luck, hope we get him. And I hope he is one day good enough to play for us.

Reaction Score
Don’t think anyone should be doubting Hurley’s talent evaluation given all the talent he’s already brought into the program.
Nobody's doubting that. Sheesh.

Reaction Score
Is he benefitting from being at Bristol or is it slowing his development. Let’s make a poll, vote on it & then shut up. Everyone’s been kicking that dead horse for 2 years
Put up the poll.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Overreacts to the same old nonsense. As far as the eybl goes.......they ALL wanted him. He chose to stay with his independent team. Would be a good question for an interviewer as to why he didn't go to the shoe league. Oh yeah, they didn't play at all this past summer and fall but Donovan's team did. You won't hear from me anymore. I will ask the admins to remove my info from this group. Good luck, hope we get him. And I hope he is one day good enough to play for us.
Hey I get it. This board is infuriating enough without having a personal connection to all the uninformed comments that go on.

My question on AAU was from seriously not knowing and wondering why. Everyone with at least half a brain on here realizes every AAU program in the country would want him, as does nearly every college program in the country—and the few holdouts may even end up offering.

Anyone questioning if he’s good enough to want him is a total baffoon, but in all fairness Im not really seeing anyone say that.

Him playing at Bristol is almost certainly slowing his development but it’s his choice and he has a great, unimpeachable reason for doing so. And in the end, it may not make a bit of difference in how good he becomes.

He can be great, a total stud, our top priority, and also developing slower than he would in a different league.

Reaction Score

I get all that and read the story; it was heartwarming. He'll get a hundred more offers (if all those schools want to waste their time). Of course he is getting better with each passing year, but you can't really believe that he couldn't get better playing with and against better players as that simply defies logic.

Reaction Score
I think it’s cool that he’s playing at Bristol Central and I think he’s developing well.
But I saw him play last year and all I can say is that I wish he could play with just one really good high school guard. Against the best ciac high school teams, he’s not going to be able to bring the ball up the court or set up the offense, no matter how dominant he is when he gets touches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom