2022 Recruiting: - Clingan Taking His Time with Recruiting Process (Syracuse on SI) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Clingan Taking His Time with Recruiting Process (Syracuse on SI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
a quick visit to the syracuse board reveals that their fans are worried about uconn and don't think clingan will be coming to 'cuse...
That's what I was hoping to get out of this thread, Cuse misery.

This kid has a future. UConn can give him the coaching, competition and facilities he needs to develop without taking him too far away from his support system.

Reaction Score
So you're saying ND or MSU and NOT UConn? Why?

I don't know where he's going, but IMO, we're loaded up front. He may very well commit to Uconn, just my guess and I'm not suggesting that he doesn't like competition, just that he could probably get more playing time elsewhere

Reaction Score
I don't know where he's going, but IMO, we're loaded up front. He may very well commit to Uconn, just my guess and I'm not suggesting that he doesn't like competition, just that he could probably get more playing time elsewhere
By the time he gets to UConn our only signed front court players as of now would most likely be Johnson, Springs and Sanogo...

Reaction Score
In 2022 we’d have:

Springs
Sanogo* (he could be gone after next season)
Akok* (he could be gone after next season)
Samson

So there’s competition for minutes but he’s not gonna be riding the pine like springs this year. I don’t see him starting as a freshman, but he’ll be a key contributor off the bench.

There’s a probability that there’s 4 PFs/Cs on the roster.

Reaction Score
In 2022 we’d have:

Springs
Samson

So there’s competition for minutes but he’s not gonna be riding the pine like springs this year. I don’t see him starting as a freshman, but he’ll be a key contributor off the bench.

It would be very nice if we get him, but I know how coaches promise the world to these kids. He's only going to get better and I'm certain that there will be a program out there with a thinner bench that he can easily get a lot of early minutes. IMO he's good enough to pencil in for a day one start and that's what I think he'll be and that's not a Uconn narrative. You earn your spot here.

Reaction Score
IMO he's good enough to pencil in for a day one start and that's what I think he'll be and that's not a Uconn narrative. You earn your spot here.
Maybe he likes the idea of that. Many recruits say they like when the coach is honest, telling them they need to earn their playing time. Clingan seems like a very humble kid. I doubt he's buying any Calipari type b.s.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Question for people who have seen him. How’s his mobility? Will he have the Hurley hard hedge in his bag? That’s the one question I have. On tape his feet look a little slow but it’s difficult to ascertain some things from tape.

Reaction Score
Maybe he likes the idea of that. Many recruits say they like when the coach is honest, telling them they need to earn their playing time. Clingan seems like a very humble kid. I doubt he's buying any Calipari type b.s.

I hope he does. He might bleed Husky blue and be willing to earn it. We'll see.

Reaction Score
In 2022 we’d have:

Springs
Samson

it'll come down to whether clingan is willing to be sanogo's backup for at least 1 year. maybe he could be a starter from day1 at a dumpster fire like cuse but odds are he'd be coming off the bench at a place like MSU too.

my question is, will sanogo be gone for sure after 3 years? idk...

springs is not scaring away any top recruits and akok/samson are Hurley's prototypical shot blocking stretch 4s. no reason to make them play C.

Reaction Score
Things just opened up with Javonte leaving. I'm encouraged that he's involved with Corey Floyd Jr. because they would be playing together, and really I think he's just looking around so he has other elite schools (not Syracuse) to compare us to. UConn looks like a big time favorite here, especially if Hurley doesn't sign another center.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
it'll come down to whether clingan is willing to be sanogo's backup for at least 1 year. maybe he could be a starter from day1 at a dumpster fire like cuse but odds are he'd be coming off the bench at a place like MSU too.

my question is, will sanogo be gone for sure after 3 years? idk...

springs is not scaring away any top recruits and akok/samson are Hurley's prototypical shot blocking stretch 4s. no reason to make them play C.
I think Samson gets significant run at the 5. Used as a shot eraser in the paint and PnR defender and used for spacing on offense, like how he was used in the Slam16 game(best defender on the floor that game). He’s more of a 4/5 flex option imo. If he plays his cards right he can adopt the Whaley role.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Brown transferring means we only have one true center on our roster by the time he arrives, and it isn't a given that Sanogo is here for 4 years. There is room for Donovan here. Whether that's his choice or not, who knows?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
If I was a heavily recruited junior, I would get in as many official visits as possible (assuming it’s safe) when things calm down a little.

Reaction Score
especially if Hurley doesn't sign another center.
I think Samson gets significant run at the 5. Used as a shot eraser in the paint and PnR defender and used for spacing on offense, like how he was used in the Slam16 game(best defender on the floor that game). He’s more of a 4/5 flex option imo. If he plays his cards right he can adopt the Whaley role.
if we have sanogo/samson/springs all potentially getting C minutes in 2022 then we cannot sign another C next season unless he's a grad transfer. otherwise things get way too complicated

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think the people who have Sanogo leaving early for the NBA are out of their mind. He's overflowing with talent and potential but he's got a loooooooooong way to go.

Of course. But he has the physical abilities for the NBA. At some point he's going to get it, and add to his scoring ability around the rim with an outside shot, and better technique on defense. When will that happen? Next year? The year after? Never? I sure as hell don't know. But I don't expect it to be a slow, linear level of improvement. I expect it to occur in jumps, with more sudden, obvious improvement.

Reaction Score
I think the people who have Sanogo leaving early for the NBA are out of their mind. He's overflowing with talent and potential but he's got a loooooooooong way to go.

More than any other position, there is a huge disconnect between being a really good college Center and being an NBA player. I think Sanogo has shown the potential to develop into a really good college Center. But I don't think he's given us any reason to think he's going to have the tools to be an NBA player at his height and build, much less that he's going to have those tools early.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m borderline afraid to say this but is it possible Lively (or someone similar) could be a better fit? I want DC as much as the next guy but sometimes those behemoth big men are tough to fit into the style of play you’re trying to implement
no offense but this kid can fit in anywhere he wants to go. Outstanding prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom