Clingan Putting Up Numbers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clingan Putting Up Numbers

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Google at its best:

IMG_0524.jpeg

Reaction Score
What’s even cooler, much of this was against his NBA comp going into the draft, Walker Kessler. I think not.

His NBA comp is Bill Walton.

Remember those PKI games his freshman year? Walton was in love with the kid from the second he came off the bench. Specifically kept talking about his footwork and passing. I thought at the time, Walton saw a lot of himself in Clingan.

Donovan has a lot more work to do, but he can get there.

Reaction Score
His NBA comp is Bill Walton.

Remember those PKI games his freshman year? Walton was in love with the kid from the second he came off the bench. Specifically kept talking about his footwork and passing. I thought at the time, Walton saw a lot of himself in Clingan.

Donovan has a lot more work to do, but he can get there.
Without the injuries let’s hope

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He’ll be an NBA champion at some point in his career. He’s an absolute game changer.

Portland has to find a new home for Ayton ASAP.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

If he was returning this team would be making history with 3 in a row.

Love this kid
3 in a row wiuld be great, but not quite at the 7 in a row that UCLA did. But 3 in a row would be pretty special. Two in a row is already special.

Reaction Score
There is nothing in this thread that UConn fans aren’t already aware of, but it is still a nice breakdown of his performance. Utah scored 33 points in the 24 minutes that he was on the floor.

This breakdown is great. I thought the drop coverage criticism is fair, but that will change for him after 2-3 years.

There’s a reality him and castle are competing for multiple awards in the future.

Wow.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
UCLAs 7 < Florida/UConn's 2. Just a completely different CBB landscape back then.
Ok professor Yes it was a different era . I know the difference How old are you? I’m sure you aren’t knocking it, it is historic by any measure. Any team with Jabbar ot Walton would be a very tough out even today not to mention their supporting cast. Of course they would both have been one and done, which is not necessarily a good thing. However, Clingan and UConn the last two years were special.

Reaction Score
It’s all relative I suppose but Clingan has 3-4 inches on Walton as crazy as that sounds.

Reaction Score
3 in a row wiuld be great, but not quite at the 7 in a row that UCLA did. But 3 in a row would be pretty special. Two in a row is already special.
There is no comparison of the pre 86 tournament vs today. That was the classic era, this (3 point line, field of 64) is the modern era.

3x in a row in the modern era is the best of the era by far. Especially considering the roster history of the B2B champs of Duke, Florida and Connecticut. UCONN losing 5 of its top 7 scorers then having a more dominant run the following year is well beyond both Duke and Florida who returned all key players for their second run.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There is no comparison of the pre 86 tournament vs today. That was the classic era, this (3 point line, field of 64) is the modern era.

3x in a row in the modern era is the best of the era by far. Especially considering the roster history of the B2B champs of Duke, Florida and Connecticut. UCONN losing 5 of its top 7 scorers then having a more dominant run the following year is well beyond both Duke and Florida who returned all key players for their second run.
The point is that 7 in a row is historic by any measure. Or 10 in 12 years It’s not like there weren’t any other very good teams and programs then. Duke, Kentucky and Kansas among others. So it wasn’t quite a gimme. The difference was Wooden could take a roster of hs AAs and mold great team basketball not the least of it on D. That is not in anyway meant to diminish UF or UConn. Or to ignore different eras. I just don’t think that one is greater than the other. They are both great on their own terms. Could the Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle Yankees win as many WS with today’s playoff system? Probably not. Doesn’t mean they weren’t history makers.

FWIW, I don’t salivate like some here do when a great Husky leaves after a year or two or get giddy over a recruit that half the board is speculating on how soon they will be out the door before they play a single minute of college ball. I don’t begrudge the kids who leave early, I would too, but at some point, maybe this year for UConn, guys leaving early will not produce a better result for UConn than if those players had stayed, no matter how talented newcomers might be. I’m a UConn fan and not in love with the modern NBA as some are certainly entitled to be. I would be much happier as a UConn fan to have Clingan around for a few more years. But as you say, different era, but not necessarily always better.

Reaction Score
If Donovan stays healthy over the long 82 regular season - he will be special.
As UConn fans we will also realize what we are missing.

Reaction Score
Is Robert Williams expected to be "healthy" by opening night? I'd imagine Portland would want to play him in the hopes of enticing someone to trade for him. Clingan's minutes might be a bit compromised in the early beginning if Williams can still play.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score

Comparing eras is futile. Was Jim Brown the best running back ever……is Babe Ruth the best baseball player ever…is Jack Nicklaus the greatest golfer ever……greatest of their era should suffice… as great enough.

Reaction Score
The point is that 7 in a row is historic by any measure. Or 10 in 12 years It’s not like there weren’t any other very good teams and programs then. Duke, Kentucky and Kansas among others. So it wasn’t quite a gimme. The difference was Wooden could take a roster of hs AAs and mold great team basketball not the least of it on D. That is not in anyway meant to diminish UF or UConn. Or to ignore different eras. I just don’t think that one is greater than the other. They are both great on their own terms. Could the Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle Yankees win as many WS with today’s playoff system? Probably not. Doesn’t mean they weren’t history makers.

FWIW, I don’t salivate like some here do when a great Husky leaves after a year or two or get giddy over a recruit that half the board is speculating on how soon they will be out the door before they play a single minute of college ball. I don’t begrudge the kids who leave early, I would too, but at some point, maybe this year for UConn, guys leaving early will not produce a better result for UConn than if those players had stayed, no matter how talented newcomers might be. I’m a UConn fan and not in love with the modern NBA as some are certainly entitled to be. I would be much happier as a UConn fan to have Clingan around for a few more years. But as you say, different era, but not necessarily always better.
Would you rather Clingan is here for 4 years and zero national championships or here for 2 years and back to back national championships?

Rosters are year to year as is with the transfer portal. Hurley has established a great culture where there hasn't been a mass exodus of transfers leaving think the only one he was disappointed leaving was Alleyne but we replaced him with Cam Spencer anyways. There is enough talent on the roster now that Hurley will have viable replacements in place who have been in the program or veteran guys transferring in.

I get your jive about not being crazy about wanting a guy to leave early. I just react to when the decision is made knowing him leaving ito the NBA is most likely best for him and ultimately good for our program in the long and getting top recruits.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom