Clingan on the bench game after game | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Clingan on the bench game after game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Clingan probably isn't getting that many rebounds off of 3s. Long shot, long rebound.
Only if they back rim it dead on, but remember Clingan is 7’2”, and jumping for the rebound with his hands reaching out 9 feet or straight up he can even grab some of those. I have never seen a guy 7’2” with the amount of spring in his legs as I’ve seen with DC.

Reaction Score
Wishful thinking on your part. I don’t have time to argue with you, but I will say you are wrong on 4 of those points you make that I highlighted. Also I never have said that Sanogo should play less, what I have said many times is they complement each other well when on the floor together because they can score in different ways, and other teams can’t defend that. My contention is to give Clingan major minutes, not at Sanogo’s expense but at Jackson’s expense. UConn’s best starting five is Clingan, Sanogo, Karaban, Hawkins, and Newton, no if’s, and’s, or but’s. Jackson gets 12-15 minutes off the bench.
My goodness, you really need to get a clue. You claimed Clingan should get more minutes, which I agree with BTW, but you unnecessarily took a dig at Sanogo when he has been the more impactful player on the season saying Clingan can do something Sanogo couldn't in a million years and I pointed out that Sanogo can do things Clingan can't and is the far more polished player.

Stating Sanogo rarely “scores” over anyone is ridculous. Umm do you not remember the Creighton game at Gampel? Or Ok St game? Florida? Alabama? Marquette? or shoot almost any game this year?

Clingan is a good player and should get more minutes, sure, but I am not going to take a shot at Sanogo, who is has been the biggest part of UConn's success along with Hawk. See? not that difficult.

Reaction Score
Even if two came off his own back to back misses? He could get 30 rebounds a game by just throwing it off the top of the backboard to himself I suppose. He's a very good rebounder, but the stats in that game were misleading

Sorry but that’s wrong. Nothing wrong with getting rebounds off you’re own misses let me know how many others got their own rebounds off their misses HH?

Reaction Score
My goodness, you really need to get a clue. You claimed Clingan should get more minutes, which I agree with BTW, but you unnecessarily took a dig at Sanogo when he has been the more impactful player on the season saying Clingan can do something Sanogo couldn't in a million years and I pointed out that Sanogo can do things Clingan can't and is the far more polished player.

Stating Sanogo rarely “scores” over anyone is ridculous. Umm do you not remember the Creighton game at Gampel? Or Ok St game? Florida? Alabama? Marquette? or shoot almost any game this year?

Clingan is a good player and should get more minutes, sure, but I am not going to take a shot at Sanogo, who is has been the biggest part of UConn's success along with Hawk. See? not that difficult.

Yeah I mean the Creighton game Sanogo was very good so we needed creative ways to get them together.

Reaction Score
Are there any opinions as to what other Big East coaches think when they watch our games and this is what they see? 7 minutes 7 rebounds. Help defense is not happening unless he is in the lane. Otherwise it is take what you want in the lane. I would bet the opposing coaches are high 5 ing the ongoing stubbornness by DH. And could a reporter get info as to why Samson, otherwise known as Sampson on this board, is not seeing the floo
There is no reason why Sanogo and Clingan can’t play on the floor together. None. This tunnel vision is killing us. Sanogo can play the four. He guards out the the three point line and is one of our best three point shooters (/s?). Put a line up of Clingan, Sanogo, Karaban, Hawkins, and Newton out there.

We are a predicable team.
Could not agree more!! Clingan’s talent and “would-be” defense & offense contributions have , in large part, been wasted. Sanogo & Clingan on the floor together would be a dynamite combination other coaches would dream of — with Samson subbing and available if one or the other were to get in foul trouble as well as a needed bench break. Xavier uses their two big guys -having developed the needed chemistry between them—with outstanding results. Second chance points, protecting the rim, offensive rebounds all cry-out for this use of this type of lineup

Reaction Score
Clingan isn't playing because he fouls too much. That and the preseason conference player of the year plays the same position as him. I'd be curious to see them play together more but that seems way too 90s style. Lane would be too clogged.

Jackson is a national DPOY finalist. You really want to say he's not a good defender? His issue is lack of offense. He's gotta get in a good head space.

Newton was not the same player as against Marquette. He needs to drive to be successful. If he gets lazy or whatever then he will struggle.

Wait “he needs to drive to be successful”? I agree wholeheartedly but explain how he was getting to the basket with a 6’9 kid playing zone in the middle making sure he didn’t? McDermott knew we were better with Newton getting to the basket and he did something about it. We did nothing to neutralize it.

Reaction Score
Part of the issue with benching Jackson is who are you replacing him with? Diarra can't shoot either, Joey C is shooting 20% from the field since his great game against Georgetown in December, Alleyne is shooting 33% from the field this year and has had one game in 2023 where he shot over 40%. If any of those guys get hot and start making shots then by all means, play them over Andre. I thought Alleyne played great defense against Creighton but he still only shot 1/6 from the floor, which is the main concern with Andre.

If Sanogo wasn't a borderline All-American candidate then I promise you Clingan would get more minutes, and if any of those guys I listed off above was a borderline AA candidate the Andre would play fewer minutes.

Point well made we don’t have a lot of successful answers. But they know Alleyne and California can score so given certain times of the game, especially the end of the game coming out of the time out. Creighton was not going to give Alleyne or Joey 20 feet of spacing no matter what their percentages are. So coming out of that time out with AJ and Diarra in the game was absurd to say the least.

Reaction Score

Clingan is only a freshman and he’s has already been talked about as a lottery pick. Has Sanogo? Why not? I hate doing this because all you do is turn around and will say I’m trashing Sanogo. I’m not, I’m trashing you. Sanogo was a great find for Hurley, and for a kid who didn’t touch a basketball until he was 14 or 15, he has turned himself into quite a player, but he’s not starting in the NBA anytime soon. That being said, Hurley and his offense needs AS desperately. Clingan has a lot to learn, as you keep saying, but he now has tools and basketball skills that I have never seen in a UConn big man in his freshman year. I said that last Fall early in the season and got laughed at then by people who didn’t have a clue. Needless to say you’re already in that club.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Point well made we don’t have a lot of successful answers. But they know Alleyne and California can score so given certain times of the game, especially the end of the game coming out of the time out. Creighton was not going to give Alleyne or Joey 20 feet of spacing no matter what their percentages are. So coming out of that time out with AJ and Diarra in the game was absurd to say the least.

That's true that the spacing is better with them in. I'm OK with Alleyne cutting into some of Andre's minutes, especially when he's not distributing the ball like on Saturday. But when Andre is dishing out assists and playing strong defense, then Alleyne isn't an improvement unless he's actually hitting shots.

We need someone from our bench to step up and earn some minutes by making shots.

Reaction Score
That's true that the spacing is better with them in. I'm OK with Alleyne cutting into some of Andre's minutes, especially when he's not distributing the ball like on Saturday. But when Andre is dishing out assists and playing strong defense, then Alleyne isn't an improvement unless he's actually hitting shots.

We need someone from our bench to step up and earn some minutes by making shots.

Alleyne plays defense as well but he doesn’t rebound or pass as well no doubt. But in situations they needed to put someone in they would guard and leave the lane. Not on AJ it’s on DH for not being prepared to sub offense defense.

Reaction Score
I am late to this thread but I’ve always like Clingan and I think Hurley has mismanaged his talents this year.

Even though he’s a freshman he is one of the few on the team that:
1) Make great cuts to the hoop. Actually I’d make the argument that Sanogo and others need to FIND him more as he makes these cuts - don’t hesitate with the pass.
2) Clingan is at least trying to set screens - he needs more work refining but dang, I love the effort - other players should take note.
3) He is a good passer! He sends some laser passes but catchable too - to players who can convert easy shot.
4) He takes up A lot of room and rips down rebounds - one and done - we need more of that - a lot more.

Clingan needs more time on the floor to work through issues finishing around the rim and short range Jumper.

The big thing with Jackson that some don’t agree but I’ll say it anyway, is he is not earning the amount of minutes he gets. I put that on Hurley. Reduce AJ minutes and let Clingan, Alliene and JC get some time to do their thing.

Reaction Score
In last night's fantastic Providence / Creighton game. There were a huge amount of possessions where Kalkbrenner roamed the 3 point line and Croswell stayed in the paint, and where Croswell roamed outside the foul line and Kalkbrenner stayed in the low box until Croswell was a full step inside the lane. We're going to meet 1 of these 2 teams in our first game at the Garden in a 4/5 game. There is no excuse for not playing Clingan AND keeping him in the paint. I didn't note any of this high hedge crap taking a center into no mans land, leaving mismatches behind him. Maybe 2 of the better coaches in the league have an idea that center belongs where he can do the most good. We would have chased those guys outside with our center and opened the lane. Last night drives were earned. Just sayin.

Reaction Score
Clingan has his hands on almost every rebound under the basket whether he gets it or not and often is over the top on offense making him "look" like he's fouling. Mostly he's getting bad calls because of his height. Should he not try for those balls? Best shot blocker by far too also makes him prone.
I guess he could lay off some of those plays and not pick up fouls but he stops the other team often by himself.
He could clean up his screens a bit and drop that average as well. But if Clingan is sitting on the bench with 3 fouls or less something's wrong. The production is well worth him fouling out at some point. It means your getting maximum benefit instead of leaving it on the table. Except for your main point guard down the stretch or that go to NBA draft pick, coaches prioritize "saving" players just in case way too much imo. And fans always buy into that "conventional wisdom" until some "revolutionary" Coach proves it to be a dated concept.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In last night's fantastic Providence / Creighton game. There were a huge amount of possessions where Kalkbrenner roamed the 3 point line and Croswell stayed in the paint, and where Croswell roamed outside the foul line and Kalkbrenner stayed in the low box until Croswell was a full step inside the lane. We're going to meet 1 of these 2 teams in our first game at the Garden in a 4/5 game. There is no excuse for not playing Clingan AND keeping him in the paint. I didn't note any of this high hedge crap taking a center into no mans land, leaving mismatches behind him. Maybe 2 of the better coaches in the league have an idea that center belongs where he can do the most good. We would have chased those guys outside with our center and opened the lane. Last night drives were earned. Just sayin.
Croswell can't shoot. Nobody should be guarding him outside. Leaving Kalkbrenner open outside is a risk, and even though I didn't see it, I doubt that PC just ignored him out there.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The key here is OVER anyone. And, NO, Sanogo never does that. He can score, but he's going to have to pump fake you to death or get to the rim quicker. He isn't scoring "OVER" anyone
There is an awful lot of evidence showing that you are wrong.

Reaction Score
There is an awful lot of evidence showing that you are wrong.

Showing last years team that had skilled players who knew where and when to feed him and Jackson the ball is not addressing the problems this year. The only thing your “evidence” shows is last year UConn had a great point guard, this year without those skilled players, Sanogo, and Jackson especially, have struggled at times scoring on their own. Clingan is not a point guard but the effect might be the same if Hurley would wake up and play him.

Reaction Score
I think our ability to make it to the final four will hinge on DH making 2 lineup adjustments:
Maximizing DC minutes / maybe even in tandem w/ AS
Optimizing AJax to his strengths, limit the vulnerabilities

If we make these changes, we go far.
But he won’t and opposing coaches know it.

Reaction Score
I'm going to look for AJ's "elite defense" in the upcoming games because I must have missed it against CU.
Andre can be very good on defense but he is more of a disrupter than a lockdown one on one player. One on one, he definitely gets beat off the dribble but he’s great at recovering. Like the rest of his game, it’s strange and doesn’t always make sense.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Showing last years team that had skilled players who knew where and when to feed him and Jackson the ball is not addressing the problems this year. The only thing your “evidence” shows is last year UConn had a great point guard, this year without those skilled players, Sanogo, and Jackson especially, have struggled at times scoring on their own. Clingan is not a point guard but the effect might be the same if Hurley would wake up and play him.
He scores over people. Therefore you are wrong. Tell me you don't know anything about modern basketball, without telling me. There has been no center in the history of the game that could "score on his own". Wilt, occasionally went end to end on a rebound. This year, Sanogo has been most effective when we stopped posting him back to the basket and let him play facing, like a modern big. The guy leading the Big East in scoring while 6th in FG% isn't the problem.

Reaction Score
Clingan is only a freshman and he’s has already been talked about as a lottery pick. Has Sanogo? Why not? I hate doing this because all you do is turn around and will say I’m trashing Sanogo. I’m not, I’m trashing you. Sanogo was a great find for Hurley, and for a kid who didn’t touch a basketball until he was 14 or 15, he has turned himself into quite a player, but he’s not starting in the NBA anytime soon. That being said, Hurley and his offense needs AS desperately. Clingan has a lot to learn, as you keep saying, but he now has tools and basketball skills that I have never seen in a UConn big man in his freshman year. I said that last Fall early in the season and got laughed at then by people who didn’t have a clue. Needless to say you’re already in that club.
You are equivocating all of the place to the point you are losing sight of your original foolish post. Your original post stated Clingan should play more because he did one move that Sanogo couldn't do in a million years, which is false BTW, Sanogo has a plethora of moves where he fakes out defenders and finishes. Moreso it's a foolish dig at Sanogo and ignorant considering he has put the team on his back many times. You asked what can Sanogo do that Clingan can't which is obvious beyond ridiculous to ask because Sanogo is a much more polished player than Clingan at this point. Someone answered you and it really it's obvious to anyone watching the games, but you decided to put your hands to your ears say "la la la I can't hear you" like a kid and say more inane things.

You proceeded to outdo yourself with the cluelessness by saying Sanogo never shoots over someone which is like saying Hawkins has never made an outside shot, SMH. After that you said "blah blah blah... Clingan is being talked about as a lottery pick" which has nothing to do with anything as we are talking about playing time now. I hope Clingan does get drafted in the lottery, but he ain't getting drafted at all after this year. He is still a raw unpolished player that should be given more playing time now, but right now he isn't on the level Sanogo, Kalkbrenner, or Soriano.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When I watch Clingan play, it’s obvious to me that with more playing time and development he could be the best player in the country. Why can’t Hurley see this? When you have a player with that type of potential you have to put him on the floor.

… and Sanogo clearly has the ability to play the 4 beside Clingan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Hurley needs to lose this idea that Clingan is only here to fill in the minutes Sanogo is on the bench. Clingan has struggled offensively recently but only getting 7 minutes each of the two Xavier losses and the Creighton loss is completely ridiculous and unacceptable. The kid would start at most schools, he’s not a 7 mpg player.

Reaction Score
Hurley needs to lose this idea that Clingan is only here to fill in the minutes Sanogo is on the bench. Clingan has struggled offensively recently but only getting 7 minutes each of the two Xavier losses and the Creighton loss is completely ridiculous and unacceptable. The kid would start at most schools, he’s not a 7 mpg player.
I wish I could give you ten “likes”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr