Clingan on the bench game after game | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Clingan on the bench game after game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jackson is a tremendous defender when he’s not making boneheaded plays like going for the highlight steal or block that end up leading to a foul or a layup. This happens more often than not lately. His defensive discipline seems to have gone out the window.

Thank you I’m actually tired of hearing tremendous and AJs defense same sentence. He “could be” but he gets beat way too much off the dribble and jumps on ball games way too much to be tremendous. If he stayed focused he could be but he’s only a good defender for now. Some just see what they want to see and forget why the defense is scrambling because he is still on the perimeter after a ball fake. They blame it on Newton lol

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If Clingan isn’t in then the other team gets more than one and maybe several chances to make those shots. If Clingan is in, then chances are they only get one chance to hit a perimeter shot. When Clingan grabs those rebounds, Sanogo could be halfway down the floor going for an easy two.

Clingan probably isn't getting that many rebounds off of 3s. Long shot, long rebound.

Reaction Score
If Clingan isn’t in then the other team gets more than one and maybe several chances to make those shots. If Clingan is in, then chances are they only get one chance to hit a perimeter shot. When Clingan grabs those rebounds, Sanogo could be halfway down the floor going for an easy two.
Bingo.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Don’t care how the rebounds are but 7 in 7 minutes is a nice ratio.
Even if two came off his own back to back misses? He could get 30 rebounds a game by just throwing it off the top of the backboard to himself I suppose. He's a very good rebounder, but the stats in that game were misleading.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Even if two came off his own back to back misses? He could get 30 rebounds a game by just throwing it off the top of the backboard to himself I suppose. He's a very good rebounder, but the stats in that game were misleading.
ya, that 'rebounding his own shot' baloney was beat to death with ol joshy.
he left, then led his new team to new heights of success.
u can look it up -both, that rebound baloney here, and the new team/new heights thing.
play donno. the clock is ticking on a season with so much opportunity.

and why did willy walton, he of being the center on what many consider to be the best ncaa team ever, gush and wax so eloquently back in the fall aboot ol donno?
i know, i know, danny is brilliant, and billy is a burnout. or so im told.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Clingan isn't playing because he fouls too much. That and the preseason conference player of the year plays the same position as him. I'd be curious to see them play together more but that seems way too 90s style. Lane would be too clogged.

Jackson is a national DPOY finalist. You really want to say he's not a good defender? His issue is lack of offense. He's gotta get in a good head space.

Newton was not the same player as against Marquette. He needs to drive to be successful. If he gets lazy or whatever then he will struggle.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
On the season

Rebounds
Sanogo leads the team with 7.3 per game in 26.8 minutes per game.
Jackson is second with 6.2 per game in 27.7 minutes per game
Clingan is third with 6.1 per game in 13.2 minutes per game.

Blocks
Clignan leads with 1.9 per game
Hawkins is second with .6 per game
Sanogo is third with .6 per game.

Fouls
Jackson 3.1
Sanogo 2.8
Hawkins 2.5
Karaban 2.3
Clingan 2.0

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
On the season

Rebounds
Sanogo leads the team with 7.3 per game in 26.8 minutes per game.
Jackson is second with 6.2 per game in 27.7 minutes per game
Clingan is third with 6.1 per game in 13.2 minutes per game.

Blocks
Clignan leads with 1.9 per game
Hawkins is second with .6 per game
Sanogo is third with .6 per game.

Fouls
Jackson 3.1
Sanogo 2.8
Hawkins 2.5
Karaban 2.3
Clingan 2.0

Is the fouls adjusted for time played? If not Clingan fouls a lot.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Clingan isn't playing because he fouls too much. That and the preseason conference player of the year plays the same position as him. I'd be curious to see them play together more but that seems way too 90s style. Lane would be too clogged.

Jackson is a national DPOY finalist. You really want to say he's not a good defender? His issue is lack of offense. He's gotta get in a good head space.

Newton was not the same player as against Marquette. He needs to drive to be successful. If he gets lazy or whatever then he will struggle.

Fouls aren’t an issue with Clingan because as you stated, Sanogo plays the same position. If he fouls out at 20-25 minutes then so be it because you’re getting huge production from him.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Got that from the Fox sports app so I don’t believe so.

As I said above, doesn’t matter about foul trouble when you have a Sanogo to come in and you’re getting that insane production from him. We get these leads off the spurts when he’s in. Not saying he should foul out in the first half, but he should play a lot more than 13 minutes. If he fouls out late in the second half, so be it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I wasn’t a big Alleyne guy for most of the year, but him playing the three really has been helping. He’s done well on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball.

Playing Alleyne with Clingan and combo of a few other starters would do very well imo

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Fouls aren’t an issue with Clingan because as you stated, Sanogo plays the same position. If he fouls out at 20-25 minutes then so be it because you’re getting huge production from him.

Of course they matter; if he fouled less he would play more minutes. I think a huge part of the reason Hurley won't play Clingan and Sanogo together is because he doesn't have a legitimate backup big if both get into foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Sanogo was our best player today, so he deserved to be out there as much as he was. But getting Clingan more minutes shouldn’t be mutually exclusive with playing Sanogo. Just three minutes per half of two big lineup could yield positive results - we are already underperforming so what is there to lose?
Sorry, but no common sense, and surely no "eye test" results, allowed.

What's also becoming evident is AJ is not looking like the "stopper" on defense we believed him to be. He didn't stop Schierman and the worst example was when Scheirman went down the baseline from sideline to sideline and AJ detoured around two or three guys in the lane while defending him. Of course, when you detour 8 feet out of the straight line your man is running on you lose him and that's what happened. Hard to understand what he was thinking.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Of course they matter; if he fouled less he would play more minutes. I think a huge part of the reason Hurley won't play Clingan and Sanogo together is because he doesn't have a legitimate backup big if both get into foul trouble.
If fouls matter, why is Jackson playing as much as he is? At least Clingan is contributing on both ends

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
wait, whut? what aboot wall man? what aboot springs?
are u saying that danny is unprepared?

Reaction Score
Andre Jackson grabs a bunch of rebounds, plays elite defense, doesn’t do anything else, “Kid sucks, bench him.”

Donovan Clingan grabs a bunch of rebounds, plays pretty good defense, doesn’t do anything else, “Put him in the starting lineup.”

I know I shouldn’t be surprised, but cmon guys.
I'm going to look for AJ's "elite defense" in the upcoming games because I must have missed it against CU.

Reaction Score
If you adjust the fouls per minutes played it looks like this. So not great and definitely playable, but still the highest foul rate of all the rotation players

Clingan 5.5
Jackson 4.5
Sanogo 4.2
Hawkins 3.5
Karaban 3.2

Reaction Score
Sorry, but no common sense, and surely no "eye test" results, allowed.

What's also becoming evident is AJ is not looking like the "stopper" on defense we believed him to be. He didn't stop Schierman and the worst example was when Scheirman went down the baseline from sideline to sideline and AJ detoured around two or three guys in the lane while defending him. Of course, when you detour 8 feet out of the straight line your man is running on you lose him and that's what happened. Hard to understand what he was thinking.
That’s his problem. Either he’s not thinking or thinking too much. It’s not a lack of athleticism that’s making him go for a steal that he can’t make or bite on a pump fake that he wouldn’t have been able to block. He see’s the game so well on offense that his gullibility on defense is unexplainable.

Reaction Score
If Jackson ever takes more than 6-7 shots in a game again this year I’m going to lose my mind. If we let Karaban take more shots we would’ve won that game. As others have pointed out, Jackson is killing our offense because it allows teams to either clog the paint and play 20 feet off of AJax or allows them to hang at the top of the key waiting on Hawkins or Karaban to come off a screen. It also means that Jackson can’t be the screener, which puts more pressure on Karaban/Sanogo to set the screens. Basically the only time we can generate a decent offensive set with Jackson in there is if Jackson is buried in the corner and we run some action on the opposite side of the court. I’m not a coach or a basketball expert and even I can clearly see this isn’t working. One way I see around this is to just let AJax keep running the baseline back and forth and if his guy isn’t playing him right throw a lob for the dunk. Other than that, if he can’t hit shots he needs to sit. Not sure why Andre decided he was going to have his offensive coming out party against the 2 top teams in the league (Xavier/Creighton). He single handedly lost us both those games. I love Jackson and he does make this team go from very good to elite when he’s on, but man he’s such a liability on offense.
Your quote: "Basically the only time we can generate a decent offensive set with Jackson in there is if Jackson is buried in the corner and we run some action on the opposite side of the court."
To your point about AJ in the corner, there was a play in the second half where AK whipped a diagonal pass from outside the three point line on the near side of center court to a wide open AJ waiting in the corner. I was anticipating he might try to drive, but no, he took and missed a wide open three.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If fouls matter, why is Jackson playing as much as he is? At least Clingan is contributing on both ends

Part of the issue with benching Jackson is who are you replacing him with? Diarra can't shoot either, Joey C is shooting 20% from the field since his great game against Georgetown in December, Alleyne is shooting 33% from the field this year and has had one game in 2023 where he shot over 40%. If any of those guys get hot and start making shots then by all means, play them over Andre. I thought Alleyne played great defense against Creighton but he still only shot 1/6 from the floor, which is the main concern with Andre.

If Sanogo wasn't a borderline All-American candidate then I promise you Clingan would get more minutes, and if any of those guys I listed off above was a borderline AA candidate the Andre would play fewer minutes.

Reaction Score
If you adjust the fouls per minutes played it looks like this. So not great and definitely playable, but still the highest foul rate of all the rotation players

Clingan 5.5
Jackson 4.5
Sanogo 4.2
Hawkins 3.5
Karaban 3.2
Clingan has his hands on almost every rebound under the basket whether he gets it or not and often is over the top on offense making him "look" like he's fouling. Mostly he's getting bad calls because of his height. Should he not try for those balls? Best shot blocker by far too also makes him prone.
I guess he could lay off some of those plays and not pick up fouls but he stops the other team often by himself.

Reaction Score

Clingan 5.5
Jackson 4.5
Sanogo 4.2
Hawkins 3.5
Karaban 3.2
A number of the calls that lead to the high number of fouls are questionable though, so this might not be a fair measure. Maybe because he's a freshman, maybe because he's not famous like Dickinson, but no matter what he should be playing more because of how much he affects the game in a positive way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom