Clingan Nicknames | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Clingan Nicknames

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I don't get the obsession with coming up with a nickname. Y'all are trying too hard.

Maybe one the podcast people here, or a reporter, can ask him what he thinks of the various nicknames being tossed around.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’ve been following college basketball since the 60’s. I haven’t seen a center this good since bill Walton. His moves under the basket are remarkable. He needs to improve at the at the charity strip but he is a pleasure to watch. As is the whole team.

Reaction Score
I’ve been following college basketball since the 60’s. I haven’t seen a center this good since bill Walton. His moves under the basket are remarkable. He needs to improve at the at the charity strip but he is a pleasure to watch. As is the whole team.
Just in the 10 games alone to start the season, it seems he has improved tremendously, from a tall guy with potential to a real star with good everything- defense, moving into position, receiving passes smoothly, rebounding, finishing the play, free throws- what else is there? Also, his teammates seem very confident when he is out there and are using him as an integral part of their attack and defensive schemes. Wow!

Reaction Score
His name is the Big D and he's gonna stuff you at the hole

Reaction Score
I think Cling Kong is it. Donovan's Uncle even goes by the nickname/username on Instagram and has "passed the torch". Only thing left is for Donovan to let us know if he likes it or not. Which reporter do you think will ask him about it first?

Reaction Score
The words I chose in my uncharacteristically brief post that set this discussion in motion were intended to make fun of somebody else, by making fun of myself. "Please" was the 'tell.'

FTR, @HooperScooper played it straight with a purely educational 'correction,' which I noted with appreciation.

Within the haiku threads, my goal throughout is improved fan performance in support of Husky victories. I'm a cheerleader. My commitment to counting is very easy to make fun of, and the physical act of counting 5-7-5 is often more stressful than gratifying. Nonetheless, it's a responsibility I've taken on in accordance with the saying, "If you think it affects the mojo, then it affects the mojo."

I'm eager to read your thoughts on mojo.

As a term, "haiku police" strikes me as a derisive slap that muddies the water; if you have a genuine grievance you want to communicate, I prefera straighter path. But I'm disinclined to try to control you or imagine I can do so.

That said, snarky complaining about efforts to uphold certain accepted standards, formal rules, traditions and such are about on par with and as absurd as, for example, slurring basketball referees as "rules police" whenever they make a call after a player shuffles his feet, sets a moving screen, or steps on the end line. "Hey rules boy, you must think you're so cool with your striped shirt & whistle..."

I've seen dozens of ways that people's Boneyard errors are interpreted, criticized, lampooned, etc. You chose exasperated sarcasm to register distaste that would have added up to, "Not funny," if you'd recognized the joke for what it was. But hey, elsewhere in this thread, somebody offered some Clingan language tips and something else label "pretty basic," and earned a "NERD" gif that got Likes & Laughs for their effort. Some thanks.

In your favor, you didn't call people who were amused by someone absent-mindedly writing that "Bristol chomp" was 2 syllables "number Nazis."

Extra-tiresome bonus: there is a decent body of opinion that it is bad mojo to write haiku outside of the Game Day Haiku Thread. Not all agree. I've evolved to where I nearly always contain my haiku within designated threads; otherwise, I'd have likely replied here in 3 lines.
Sorry but I couldn’t get through this mumbo jumbo. Frankly I would have found an explanation of your rise from Huskie fan boy to most high gatekeeper of mojo ‘Haiku Hans’ much more fascinating. Regardless I will defend anyone’s effort to contribute to said ‘mojo’ any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't get the obsession with coming up with a nickname. Y'all are trying too hard.

Maybe one the podcast people here, or a reporter, can ask him what he thinks of the various nicknames being tossed around.
I am generally inclined to agree, but Alex likes the Karaban Caravan and I suspect Donovan will like the whole Cling Kong dunking over the Empire State building concept. It’s a fun interaction between the fans and the team.

Right now there are so many good vibes happening around this team, It’s best to test go with it.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Cling Kong is solid, two syllables.

Bristol Chomp has two syllables as well.

DC is short and sweet that I’m warming up to

Clingon is OG
As much as I like DC, it unfortunately reminds me of Derrick Coleman whom I disliked almost as much as Laettner. Raftery used to call him that during broadcasts while the entire country was slobbering all over themselves talking about Cuse around that time even though we beat them twice in 89-90…

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I am generally inclined to agree, but Alex likes the Karaban Caravan and I suspect Donovan will like the whole Cling Kong dunking over the Empire State building concept. It’s a fun interaction between the fans and the team.

Right now there are so many good vibes happening around this team, It’s best to test go with it.

I love the Cling Kong stuff, but I'd still throw it in the filter if the player said "my name is Donovan."

As for the Clingan nicknames - my guess is he's heard it all before, and got tired of it when he was in elementary school.

Most of the other suggestions are just plain stupid, as is the idea of creating a nickname by committee.

So I ask again: He needs to be asked what he thinks of the various nickname. Any reporters here willing to ask?

CL82

Reaction Score
I love the Cling Kong stuff, but I'd still throw it in the filter if the player said "my name is Donovan."

As for the Clingan nicknames - my guess is he's heard it all before, and got tired of it when he was in elementary school.

Most of the other suggestions are just plain stupid, as is the idea of creating a nickname by committee.

So I ask again: He needs to be asked what he thinks of the various nickname. Any reporters here willing to ask?
I mean, I’m sure reporter will ask him, just because it’s a no-brainer question, but in the end, does it really matter what a handful of posters referred to him as on the Boneyard? As long as it’s not offensive, I think everyone just accepts it in the spirit in which it’s offered.

Reaction Score
I mean, I’m sure reporter will ask him, just because it’s a no-brainer question, but in the end, does it really matter what a handful of posters referred to him as on the Boneyard? As long as it’s not offensive, I think everyone just accepts it in the spirit in which it’s offered.
In the NIL age, there is branding and money to be made. Or as Yogurt said best, "Merchandising, Merchandising!"

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Yes, it does matter. If a player doesn't want to be referred to as a Star Trek character, or whatever, it is offensive, regardless of the spirit in which it is offered.

Reaction Score
Yes, it does matter. If a player doesn't want to be referred to as a Star Trek character, or whatever, it is offensive, regardless of the spirit in which it is offered.

Whaaaaa? There is no higher honor than being referred to as a Star trek character.

Reaction Score
How about this for a nickname. "Cell Tower."

Have you ever driven on the Merritt Parkway and seen one of those fake tree cell towers that stick way up out of the forest. Those are really tall. Even a regular cell tower is pretty much up there.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yeah, I’m not sure why you are locking in on the Star Trek thing and the two posters who care about it, but whatever, I’m sure it’ll work itself out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How about this for a nickname. "Cell Tower."

Have you ever driven on the Merritt Parkway and seen one of those fake tree cell towers that stick way up out of the forest. Those are really tall. Even a regular cell tower is pretty much up there.
No

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It matters much less if he plays for an opponent. I seem to recall that Duke's Shelden Williams got some Star Trek references attached to him.

Otherwise, I agree with you...and with @CL82...and that it'll sort itself out.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Donovanator
Too much of a mouthful for wide play, but I'm glad it's in here. Also, its 5 syllables are Haiku-ready.

Speaking of which, "Donovan Clingan" itself can stand alone as either line 1 or line 3.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I agree 100% about this and was going to post that the Clingan concept should absolutely be eliminated if it offended him. I was thinking that if he wasn't offended the concept my wife was excited about could really be a hilarious theme for the student section that would get notoriety for him and the school similar to the Tyler Phommachanh throwing homecoming school event someone posted a while back. Think about the gator chop in Clingan for instance. But that idea would only be contingent on Donovan being on board with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom