Clingan is an an absolute monster | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clingan is an an absolute monster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Clingan changes the game more than any other sub I have ever seen. Marquette's first 4 baskets were in the lane. As soon as the comes in, that goes away. Just his presence intimidates.
On offense, it's easier to get him the ball than Sanogo. When he does get it, it's a flush or foul. More efficient than when Sanogo gets it, at least last night anyway.
Having two really good big men is a good problem to have.

Reaction Score
UConn needs Clingan in the game to defend the paint, and they need Sanogo in the game because he is at times an unstoppable scorer on offense. Hurley need to figure out how to play the, together to get to next level.

There’s no way at this point in the season.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Clingan changes the game more than any other sub I have ever seen. Marquette's first 4 baskets were in the lane. As soon as the comes in, that goes away. Just his presence intimidates.
On offense, it's easier to get him the ball than Sanogo. When he does get it, it's a flush or foul. More efficient than when Sanogo gets it, at least last night anyway.
Having two really good big men is a good problem to have.
He was blocking jump shots and every time they drove to the lane they had second thoughts. Reminded me of Thabeet

Reaction Score
I think it’s underrated how well the staff developed Clingan in 1 off season. He wasn’t this good at Bristol Central

4/21/2021​

Bristol Central’s Donovan Clingan is back to dominating on the AAU circuit as college recruiting is set to ramp back up​

You really believe Bristol HS was his last basketball before UConn
He played and was dominant for his Boston Based AAU team just like he did st Bristol were he averaged almost 30 a game

Reaction Score
I hold to my comments on him in Nov . Noticeably big . To standout as being big when your surrounded with other basketball players is special
He had good hands and surprisingly good footwork . The two biggest factors in determining a bigs future worth.
When he gets stronger , that includes stamina , he will be a beast..

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'd love to see the min share % between Adama and Donovan for our kill shot runs. In the early season it felt like we got that distance quite a bit when DC entered the game. Obviously the substitution patterns of the opponents have a lot to do that with that and DC does start huffing and puffing after extended minutes. I like the change of pace he offers when he comes in with Diarra and its a really good sign the bench is starting to get distance again. Credit to Alleyne as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nice having a freshman big who is not a project.
On the other hand, this is only the start of his potential. His tenure here is going to be pretty special.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see the min share % between Adama and Donovan for our kill shot runs. In the early season it felt like we got that distance quite a bit when DC entered the game. Obviously the substitution patterns of the opponents have a lot to do that with that and DC does start huffing and puffing after extended minutes. I like the change of pace he offers when he comes in with Diarra and its a really good sign the bench is starting to get distance again. Credit to Alleyne as well.
For PC, during the big 2nd half run Clingan was subbed in with a 50-46 lead (2 FTs from Hawkins right before the sub), and came out at 67-52. Then we stretched the lead up to 22 with Sanogo on the court before the cut it back to 19. But the kill shot came with Clingan on the court

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
This may be a subject that is discussed next year as well. Look at Bacot with North Carolina. They made it to the nc championship game and from my recollection is was Bacot who carried the biggest load. Yet he came back. I think Sanogo and Bacot are comparable but right now their games don’t translate to the next level very well. So what will Sanogo do even if we make a deep run. It is going to be interesting to see it play out.

Reaction Score
Kessler on on Utah rn is exactly how I see his nba potential. Except DC is bigger and might be a better scorer potentially. DC has to get stronger and quicker next year tho.

Reaction Score
For PC, during the big 2nd half run Clingan was subbed in with a 50-46 lead (2 FTs from Hawkins right before the sub), and came out at 67-52. Then we stretched the lead up to 22 with Sanogo on the court before the cut it back to 19. But the kill shot came with Clingan on the court
But on the other hand, PC went on a run in the first half with Clingan in. They hit 2 3's over him and took a lead. Overall, he had the 2nd lowest game +/- yesterday.

I do think he helps with runs. Getting blocks or alters at the rim often leads to transition opportunities. You string a couple of those together with a couple regular stops and a 3 or two and you're on a 8 or 10-0 run. Plus he often plays against bench units and he can usually dominate them.

Reaction Score
I have been a big supporter of Clingan since Day 1. He still has trouble finding the net but yes, with him in the game, other teams are more likely to be “one and done“ on shots which allows us to get on the break.

But let us not forget how many games AS took us on his back and almost single handily willed us to a win. And as time went on he saw lots more double teams etc which freed up others on our team to do what they do.

I am all for leaving both on floor for stretches. I’ve always thought AS was a Power forward and frankly, when he starts passing instead of shot after shot, we can look unbeatable.

Reaction Score
Clingan’s biggest issue right now is he doesn’t score on his own. If Hawkins isn’t on the floor with him draining three’s, our offense struggles. Not to knock the kid at all.
He has tremendous upside but is still quite raw offensively. He has greater impact for this team coming off the bench. Personally, I think the way Hurley has been handling our big’s minutes have be masterful. The lack of respect thrown at the preseason POY who happens to be on our team is mind blowing. Thank god we have Adama!

Reaction Score
Clingan’s biggest issue right now is he doesn’t score on his own. If Hawkins isn’t on the floor with him draining three’s, our offense struggles. Not to knock the kid at all.
He has tremendous upside but is still quite raw offensively. He has greater impact for this team coming off the bench. Personally, I think the way Hurley has been handling our big’s minutes have be masterful. The lack of respect thrown at the preseason POY who happens to be on our team is mind blowing. Thank god we have Adama!
Adama has been much better ever since Hurley changed the offense. What does preseason POY have to do with anything? He's obviously not going to win the award.

Not seeing this lack of respect. When Sanogo was getting outplayed posters were talking about it. Since the offense was changed and Sanogo is playing a lot better people are talking about it.

Reaction Score

4/21/2021​

Bristol Central’s Donovan Clingan is back to dominating on the AAU circuit as college recruiting is set to ramp back up​

You really believe Bristol HS was his last basketball before UConn
He played and was dominant for his Boston Based AAU team just like he did st Bristol were he averaged almost 30 a game

He played for a relatively low-level AAU team. He wasn't on the any of the big circuits (eybl, UA, Adidas). He only every played a top-100 center once before he arrived at UConn. And only played D1-level centers a handful of times.

Reaction Score
This may be a subject that is discussed next year as well. Look at Bacot with North Carolina. They made it to the nc championship game and from my recollection is was Bacot who carried the biggest load. Yet he came back. I think Sanogo and Bacot are comparable but right now their games don’t translate to the next level very well. So what will Sanogo do even if we make a deep run. It is going to be interesting to see it play out.

Difference is that Bacot can make NIL $. Sanogo is not allowed to since he isn't an American citizen.

Even with a deep run, I think Sanogo needs to go pro and start making money. He only has so many years playing the game, not including the risk of injury.

Reaction Score
Difference is that Bacot can make NIL $. Sanogo is not allowed to since he isn't an American citizen.

Even with a deep run, I think Sanogo needs to go pro and start making money. He only has so many years playing the game, not including the risk of injury.
Hurley would also have to change the offense if Adama stays, Clingan isn't going to sit next season.

Reaction Score

Tschiebwe made tons of NIL $ still without being a citizen.

Reaction Score
Hurley would also have to change the offense if Adama stays, Clingan isn't going to sit next season.
Adama ~25 minutes, Clingan ~20 minutes, ~5 minutes of the double big lineup with an entire offseason to prep seems more than feasible and doesn't require any major offensive scheme adjustments.

Reaction Score
Adama ~25 minutes, Clingan ~20 minutes, ~5 minutes of the double big lineup with an entire offseason to prep seems more than feasible and doesn't require any major offensive scheme adjustments.
I would take the over on minutes for both of those guys. Can't see Adama coming back regardless, but if he does come back I think both guys will command 25+ minutes a game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom