Clingan is an an absolute monster | The Boneyard

Clingan is an an absolute monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Welllllll, Sanogo looked like POY last game.
Hard to call this malpractice.

It’s just clearly evident that having Clingans defense is more important on the road than Sanogos offense, considering he’s been absolutely bodied all 3 road games.

But again, you just can’t sit Sanogo forever, even if he’s struggling. He’s too capable of dominating a stretch.
Yes, If Sanogo is playing horribly, he has to sit.

Reaction Score
Yes, Hurley shouldn’t have played him as long. Gave up our first half lead and gave the game away in the second half
So…what do you suggest? Sanogo plays 8 minutes to start the game and then only comes in for a quick spell for Clingan?

That’s coaching malpractice, literally.

Be mad at Sanogo, not Hurley for this one brutha.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
So…what do you suggest? Sanogo plays 8 minutes to start the game and then only comes in for a quick spell for Clingan?

That’s coaching malpractice, literally.

Be mad at Sanogo, not Hurley for this one brutha.
Tell me how it’s coaching malpractice to play someone who’s playing better than someone who’s playing horribly. It’s completely on Hurley.

Reaction Score
Tell me how it’s coaching malpractice to play someone who’s playing better than someone who’s playing horribly. It’s completely on Hurley.
Clingan outplayed Sanogo all game long. Remove Sanogos first 6 minutes of the game from the equation.

Clingan needed a spell in the first half when Sanogo came back in. He was gassed.
And DH didn’t even let AS finish the half.

DH knows man.

Reaction Score
Sanogo’s offense is great (usually) but his defense has been extremely suspect lately. The team is just flat out better with Clingan in there. I want him on the court as much as possible
This is not a knock on Sanogo at all, but when we all saw what Clingan was capable of right out of the gate, I think we all saw the potential conflict for minutes.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Quite the conundrum we have on our hands. The game literally changed with DC in. It’s cool Hurley decided to ride him this game and made the big decision to sit a preseason BEPOY. This is going to be an interesting situation to watch moving forward

Reaction Score
Sanogo’s offense is great (usually) but his defense has been extremely suspect lately. The team is just flat out better with Clingan in there. I want him on the court as much as possible
That's the thing, we're just better with Clingan because he's significantly better at everything on the court than Adama is other than scoring and ft shooting, (Clingan gets his points when he plays though.) We need Adama's scoring, it's great when it's working and disastrous when it's not because he doesn't do any of the other things well and it amounts to the ball sticking and him turning it over. Even though Clingan doesn't have nearly the moves Sanogo does he goes right up with it for a score, draws a foul, or quickly kicks it out when it's not there.

Sanogo always takes so much time with the ball even when he's scoring and you don't know what you'll get game to game.

Reaction Score
Here's the change.

To this point, most opponents like to deny the ball to Sanogo and leave the three point line open. This gave our shooters good shots.

Marquette guarded the three point line and let us get the ball into Sanogo. Then they doubled Sanogo. Since Sanogo is not a willing passer, our offense would slow to a crawl. Sanogo turned the ball over 5 times, made 5 shots, and had 0 assists. More often then not, we ended up with a poor shot with the clock running down.

Sanogo simply must play faster and make quicker decisions. Either go to the basket or (heavens) pass the ball back out as son as the double team approaches. Or this will become a very popular way to defend the Huskies.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Clingan is a beast. We need to find the right combos to have him and Adama on the court together.

Reaction Score
I was absolutely ripped for saying the same a couple games ago. Now everyone seems to be catching up. AS was absolutely horrible today and hes been very hot cold lately but just bad defensively for the most part. This team is the worst team defending the dribble drive that i can remember. Teams are now doing this and its working. Dribble past our guards, get in the lane and get the layup, foul or and 1. Of course the first guy they go after is Karaban. The word is out on this team and the team we`ve seen over the last 4 games is going to be the team we see the rest of the season unless DH makes some serious adjustments and players step their game up. Sanogo and Hawkins have been no shows far too many times recently and without them this team is going nowhere.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Tonight happened to be a difficult matchup for Sanogo and they were able to exploit that. Clingan also happened to be a difficult matchup for Marquette and we were able to exploit that.

Logically it would have helped us to have given Clingan additional minutes but there are additional considerations involved. For openers, I'm not sure Clingan is ready for more than the 21 minutes he played tonight against an opponent that pushes the pace/stresses the opponent the way Marquette does. Additionally, there could be many long term, negative ramifications to discarding a player as important to the big picture as Sanogo is because of a partial game where he isn't the best big on the floor.

Reaction Score
It's really simple. The offense stops when Sanogo gets the ball in his hands. He rarely ever kicks it back out. The offense is clearly more fluid with Clingan.

The only solution is finding a mix that allows them to be on the floor together and have the best of both worlds and I'm not sure that is possible. Otherwise you're keeping one or the other on the bench in important spots of a game.

Reaction Score
Tonight happened to be a difficult matchup for Sanogo and they were able to exploit that. Clingan also happened to be a difficult matchup for Marquette and we were able to exploit that.

Logically it would have helped us to have given Clingan additional minutes but there are additional considerations involved. For openers, I'm not sure Clingan is ready for more than the 21 minutes he played tonight against an opponent that pushes the pace/stresses the opponent the way Marquette does. Additionally, there could be many long term, negative ramifications to discarding a player as important to the big picture as Sanogo is because of a partial game where he isn't the best big on the floor.

Nobody is saying UCONN needs to take Sanogo's scholarship away from him. Though I will say, there's been a few games where Sanogo wasn't the best big on the floor (and I'm not including the games were Clingan got the opportunity to outperform him).

Reaction Score

Great points… the important thing is to get better as season goes on… and play your best at the end of the season…Hurley has a lot of figuring to do… glad I don’t have to make those calls

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There is nobody in the NBE like DC - the height, length, poise and BB IQ.
AS was great last year but teams/coaches recognize his limitations and force him to do things he can't. He still doesn't recognize double/triple teams, doesn't outlet pass enough and has zero mid range game. He still has his great moments so you can't write him off.
Very few saw the talent and maturity level that DC has and how he has blossomed in NBE play like this. it's rather amazing
DH has a lot of thinking to do - good luck

Reaction Score
I was absolutely ripped for saying the same a couple games ago. Now everyone seems to be catching up. AS was absolutely horrible today and hes been very hot cold lately but just bad defensively for the most part. This team is the worst team defending the dribble drive that i can remember. Teams are now doing this and its working. Dribble past our guards, get in the lane and get the layup, foul or and 1. Of course the first guy they go after is Karaban. The word is out on this team and the team we`ve seen over the last 4 games is going to be the team we see the rest of the season unless DH makes some serious adjustments and players step their game up. Sanogo and Hawkins have been no shows far too many times recently and without them this team is going nowhere.
I've been saying it every game

Sanogo hasn't played like the best big man on the floor in most Big East games.

Other than that I get what you're saying.

Reaction Score
UConn needs Clingan in the game to defend the paint, and they need Sanogo in the game because he is at times an unstoppable scorer on offense. Hurley need to figure out how to play the, together to get to next level.

Reaction Score
Sanogo needs to be able to defend smaller players if he is to play at the next level, so it would be good for his development to play along side Clingan.

I agree with what everyone above is saying about guards not being able to stop penetration. When DC not in the game we are getting torched on defense. Opposing guards drive to hoop, pump fake, 65% FG when DC not in. Earlier in the year our guards could defend. I don’t understand what changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom