2020 Recruiting: - Cliff Omoruyi Top 5 | Page 13 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Cliff Omoruyi Top 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I saw Cliff in Springfield and I saw Sanogo and liked Sanogo in almost every way possible I could like a basketball player over another - and that's not really a knock on Cliff; because he pro ceiling might be higher... it's more that Sanogo is *absolutely everything* this team doesn't have right now. He's filled out, incredibly strong, deceptively quick- REALLY finishes well at the rim, can go to his left hand... and he was the best rebounder I saw all weekend. I think on day-1 he changes the whole team.

I know I get on Carlton a lot for being a guy who gums the offense up - not because he's lazy or whatever - it's because his game doesn't fit w/ the system. Sanogo is the exact opposite. He sets screens, he's not really explosive to the hoop - but he's got an incredible poise and sense of timing, he's physical, nasty and has great hands. Put him down low with Akok and Javonte Brown Ferguson's length and that's a lot to deal with.

He's not Kofi Cockburn, but he might be as strong as Kofi although not as skilled all-around. But if I'm Hurley, my dream this Spring is getting him in on a reclass ASAP and going and getting a grad transfer who can shoot. Cat's not out of the bag on this guy quite yet and I think once some others see him, they're going to be all over him.
Agreed, feel we are in a really good spot with him and Etienne. Ideally, we can bring in Sanogo for next season and Etienne for the following season. I think we're trying but don't know if Sanogo can reclass.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here's his game at HoopHall. He's just a lot of fun.

Love the size/build and mobility but he's getting killed on D in the game, at least half-way

C

Chief00

I do think people are overlooking Jackson but not sure he’ll be the best player on the team. He might fit Hurley’s system better than anyone else though. Still I can’t see him not starting. Cole, Bouk, and Akok are my locks to start. I think Jackson is likely to start.
The key for Jackson will be developing his outside shot.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yep, but I say that I'm most excited about having a guy who can take it to the hole with authority.

Reaction Score
You've got to like the list of top performers at Hoophall here.

First name on the list Andre Jackson. Second is Cliff. A little further down is Sanogo.

Yeah to be honest with you - I wasn't impressed with Cliff. He faced guys all way smaller than him and i'm not sure I saw him away from the basket for more than a second at a time. The only time he got matched up he kind of disappeared. He really struck me as a back to the basket guy and that was it.

At least that's all he showed. Again - totally could be SSS but that's what I saw.

There's a reason our primary competition for him is essentially Rutgers and none of the super heavyweights are all that interested in him. I'm not trying to slag him - I'd most certainly take him- but there's a whiff of bust about him.

Sanogo is way better right now and I think fills more of the need.

Reaction Score
so you think jackson will start over polley/wilson, yet you think carlton/brown will scare away cliff?? how is that consistent reasoning? polley and wilson represent much bigger competition for AJ than carlton and brown do for cliff.

Jackson is different from Polley and Wilson. Jackson is EXACTLY what Hurley wants at the 3. Why do you think he was so excited to get him? As I said Jackson might be the most Hurley-type player on the roster. And yes, I am still saying that already having 2 centers (regardless of talent) will make recruits think twice. This sort of reminds me of Andrew Nembhard and Jalen Carey dropping us once we signed Akinjo. I’m done arguing the point though. Yes, even after all the woes and inefficiency, I think Carlton starts at the center whether we sign Cliff or not (we’re not).

Reaction Score
Jackson is different from Polley and Wilson. Jackson is EXACTLY what Hurley wants at the 3. Why do you think he was so excited to get him? As I said Jackson might be the most Hurley-type player on the roster. And yes, I am still saying that already having 2 centers (regardless of talent) will make recruits think twice. This sort of reminds me of Andrew Nembhard and Jalen Carey dropping us once we signed Akinjo. I’m done arguing the point though. Yes, even after all the woes and inefficiency, I think Carlton starts at the center whether we sign Cliff or not (we’re not).
Lol there is so much wrong in this

Reaction Score
Agreed. Hopefully, the Grind will pay dividends.
It seems like it will. Hurley keeps talking about his aggressiveness in the late signing period despite the current situation with the roster. And we’re seeing that play out... One way or another, can’t help but feel like at least another player or two will be added to the team for 2020-21.

Reaction Score
It will come ... as a side note, too bad his brother Marcus wasn't 4 inches taller. He was a competitor and they made a nice tandem on the floor.

Reaction Score
Since Jackson is exactly what hurley wants he will start over two vets, got it........and Cliff is exactly what hurley wants at the 5 so by ur own logic why wouldnt he start over the two people at his position.?Ur argument works for both situations

Reaction Score
I think Carlton starts at the center whether we sign Cliff or not (we’re not).

Carlton is in jeopardy of not starting today...let alone next year...

Any big we get this off season, be in a stud freshman or grad transfer, will have an opportunity to compete for that starting spot. With Carlton's athletic flaws, there will always be doubt for his minutes.

Reaction Score
Yes, even after all the woes and inefficiency, I think Carlton starts at the center whether we sign Cliff or not (we’re not).

what about sonogo potentially reclassifying? do you think he's scared of carlton too? guess we're just SOL until he graduates!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
what about sonogo potentially reclassifying? do you think he's scared of carlton too? guess we're just SOL until he graduates!

I like what I’ve heard about Sonogo on here but I know very minimal about him. Trust me I’d LOVE for a big man to come in here and command 30 minutes a night (like Kofi would have) but I just don’t see cliff being that guy.

The only people who should be scared of a senior Carlton starting are UConn fans

I actually laughed at this one. Very true

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The only people who should be scared of a senior Carlton starting are UConn fans

Given we are short handed, it's a sure bet he's starting tonight.

Reaction Score
Yep,needs to happen.

I was on the Carlton bandwagon last year and posted that he’d be first team his senior year if his progression continued this year and then into next. This is clearly not happening and weight gain has nothing to do with it. Last year may have been close to the top of his improvement.

I thought we may had found some hidden gold but unfortunately it was pyrite.

Let’s get Cliff on campus.
Remember that spin move in game one last year? Sadly it never felt the same again......

Reaction Score
Remember that spin move in game one last year? Sadly it never felt the same again......

I do...that's the play I always think back on when I think about last year's Carlton. I believe he got an offensive rebound, did a spin move around a guy and dunked it. Looked very fluid and athletic, and that was the play that really made me think we had something in him. That guy has completely disappeared.

Reaction Score
I hear you but Chief00 Is walking on a thin line in regards to communicating information without breaking rules regarding guys transferring.
Good boy Chief. I think it’s worth noting that one “potential transfer” is already pretty obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom