OT: - Cleveland _____________________ Name That Team | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Cleveland _____________________ Name That Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Coming Soon In the Sports Cultural War:

In Virginia and most of the south they are offended by the term Yankees. Therefore the new name of the Bronx baseball team should be.......................

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Lived in St. Pete for a few years when the Cards A Team played at Al Lang....Thursday night was 50 cent bud nite....and even tho I never was a bud guy....baseball, fiddy cent beers and beautiful weather.....Good. Times.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Wrong lake

It sunk in Superior but had enough history in Erie and with the city of Cleveland. Like all things shipping, the owner, operator, port of registry and everything else get muddled but Cleveland has legit claim to historical lineage to the ship.

SS Edmund Fitzgerald - Wikipedia

1608047348634.png

Reaction Score
Sorry, but the name Steamers opens the door for lots of bad images of steaming piles of "you know what" when the team is losing! Any reference to Native Americans is a non-starter. Animals, on the other hand are not controversial. Ohio's most poisonous snake is the Copperhead...and Ohio's native big cat is the Bobcat.....while Ohio's State Animal is the Whitetail Deer! The male deer has huge antlers. Antlers can be a cool logo. Male deer are called Stags or Bucks, but the OSU Buckeyes are often called the Bucks--so perhaps it's too familiar--or confusing---even though the Buckeye is a tree!.
So let's go with the...... Cleveland Stags.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but the name Steamers opens the door for lots of bad images of steaming piles of "you know what" when the team is losing! Any reference to Native Americans is a non-starter. Animals, on the other hand are not controversial. Ohio's most poisonous snake is the Copperhead...and Ohio's native big cat is the Bobcat.....while Ohio's State Animal is the Whitetail Deer! The male deer has huge antlers. Antlers can be a cool logo. Male deer are called Stags or Bucks, but the OSU Buckeyes are often called the Bucks--so perhaps it's too familiar--or confusing---even though the Buckeye is a tree!.
1608054924080.gif

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm sure this will eventually get moved to the baseball board, but still no basketball to talk about, so what say you?

Cleveland needs a name for their MLB team. Here's hoping they can do better than the Washington Football Team.

Cleveland Cavaliers for basketball really doesn't make any sense. Save Cavalier for Virginia. Cleveland Browns may be the most perfect description for a city and franchise ever.
I've seen some suggestion making a play on the movie Major League. Disney already gave us the Ducks in the NHL so there is precedence.
Some have brought up R&R HoF being in Cleveland and doing something with that. Count me out. Made no sense to me that a city without much if any relevance to the history of R&R gets the HoF. No need to double down on that mistake.
Me? I look at Cleveland as a port city on the Great Lakes with a long and strong maritime history.

Cleveland Steamers. Perfect for the city and the ballclub.

Surprisingly durable thread with some good (and bad) entries, especially when it could have been over & out after the punchline.

Cleveland Brown Sox

Brown Chests

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Spot on. You should google “Cleveland Steamer” if you aren’t familiar yet.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Spot on. You should google “Cleveland Steamer” if you aren’t familiar yet.

Sometimes it's okay to let a joke go on without letting everyone else in on the joke.

Surprisingly durable thread with some good (and bad) entries, especially when it could have been over & out after the punchline.

Brown Chests

I'm just as amazed as you are. I thought this had a 60-90 minute life cycle and it would be killed. How this has survived for over a day, and even more miraculously, stayed somewhat on topic, AND hasn't spun in to a COVID thread, gives me hope for humanity.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I think The Cleveland Grays will be suggested. They might not want a military reference after dropping the Indians but the Grays are a big part of Cleveland history.

Reaction Score
Since Cleveland was started as a Connecticut Yankee real estate deal
Yankee would be appropriate
However since a Team from a city without any real Yankee linage appropriated the name we will have to go with something else.
So maybe the Nutmeggers .
However both Yankee an Nutmeg are pejoratives so someone might get upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom