OT: - Cleveland _____________________ Name That Team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Cleveland _____________________ Name That Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I'm sure this will eventually get moved to the baseball board, but still no basketball to talk about, so what say you?

Cleveland needs a name for their MLB team. Here's hoping they can do better than the Washington Football Team.

Cleveland Cavaliers for basketball really doesn't make any sense. Save Cavalier for Virginia. Cleveland Browns may be the most perfect description for a city and franchise ever.
I've seen some suggestion making a play on the movie Major League. Disney already gave us the Ducks in the NHL so there is precedence.
Some have brought up R&R HoF being in Cleveland and doing something with that. Count me out. Made no sense to me that a city without much if any relevance to the history of R&R gets the HoF. No need to double down on that mistake.
Me? I look at Cleveland as a port city on the Great Lakes with a long and strong maritime history.

Cleveland Steamers. Perfect for the city and the ballclub.

Cleveland is where Alan Freed starting playing Rock and Roll.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I'm sure this will eventually get moved to the baseball board, but still no basketball to talk about, so what say you?

Cleveland needs a name for their MLB team. Here's hoping they can do better than the Washington Football Team.

Cleveland Cavaliers for basketball really doesn't make any sense. Save Cavalier for Virginia. Cleveland Browns may be the most perfect description for a city and franchise ever.
I've seen some suggestion making a play on the movie Major League. Disney already gave us the Ducks in the NHL so there is precedence.
Some have brought up R&R HoF being in Cleveland and doing something with that. Count me out. Made no sense to me that a city without much if any relevance to the history of R&R gets the HoF. No need to double down on that mistake.
Me? I look at Cleveland as a port city on the Great Lakes with a long and strong maritime history.

Cleveland Steamers. Perfect for the city and the ballclub.
How about the Edmund Fitzgeralds

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
How about the Edmund Fitzgeralds

Love the song, hate the reality.

Much like the river fire I would not want to associate a team name with a failure.

You need something uplifting and strong.

The Fitz was steaming towards Cleveland because it's a port city.

Cleveland Steamers is a great name.

Reaction Score
Cleveland Aeros. Pronounced the same as arrows.

Aerospace is one of its key industries.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Connecticut Firelands

Lets re-establish our claim.
I'm thinking along the same line as you.

Cleveland was established on July 22, 1796, by surveyors of the Connecticut Land Company when they laid out Connecticut's Western Reserve into townships and a capital city. They named the new settlement "Cleaveland" after their leader, General Moses Cleaveland.

So Cleveland Nutmeggers would be nice.
Maybe the Cleveland Cleavelands so we can right the wrong that some newspaper did.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Spiders.
The name does have history. Cy Young pitched for them. However, in their final year of existence, 1899, they finished 20-134.

To put that into perspective, it's only half the wins of the 1962 Mets. A .130 winning percentage.

Reaction Score
The name does have history. Cy Young pitched for them. However, in their final year of existence, 1899, they finished 20-134.

To put that into perspective, it's only half the wins of the 1962 Mets. A .130 winning percentage.

Because the owners bought a second team in St. Louis and sent all the best players there.

Reaction Score
I had forgotten. The local weatherman suggested the Cleveland Midges! These small insects swarm twice a year - mid June and mid October. There are literally millions of them and they show up on radar. We Clevelanders were thankful back in 2007:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duckGJse-anfk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22