Clemson says 'Peace Out!' to the ACC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clemson says 'Peace Out!' to the ACC

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is going to grab as many top teams that they can.

Their agreement with the SEC and Big 10 provided the 12 with a look in provision.

They'll make considerably less money until realignment. Then they can renegotiate conference payouts to be better than the measly amount they agreed to.

The ACC is done. UNC, UVA will bolt to the SEC.. Pitt, Miami, and Clemson will join the 12, FSU and probably Notre Dame to the Big 10
You forgot to mention who takes cuse and bc

Reaction Score
I told you all last summer, UNC is shaping up to leave the ACC and will be first in line when the chips fall.

The SEC is the preferred league.

UNC is more of a BIG cultural fit.

Reaction Score
Chances Clemson wins this from the board lawyers?
Hard to say, that's why this case will most likely be settled. If FSU and Clemson can prove that a breach of GOR results in a penalty as opposed to a more reasonable monetary damage amount, it will work in their favor. Courts do not generally enforce penalties.

Settling this case will also likely involve the plaintiffs moving on from the ACC. We may see other ACC teams join in on the fun. My guess is that the ACC will get picked over. The remaining teams may try to merge with the Big 12, which is really the only the only plausible reason the ACC took Stanford, Cal and SMU. I think we'll also have a landing spot somewhere.

Reaction Score
I don't think "Peace out" is the appropriate term.

This is more like "This is War!" from Clemson

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
UNC is more of a BIG cultural fit.
North Carolina is all south culturally. The academic fit with the BIG is far less important than the southern regional fit of like mindedness. The SEC will be throwing bundles to bring them in. North Carolina is the eastern equivalent of Texas for the SEC.

Virginia will be the interesting play. My money is they head to the SEC as well.

Clemson is in desperation mode. They were mediocre in football for some time prior to their recent success. I lived in South Carolina for ten years and left the second year of Dabo’s hire. Clemson was despised and laughed at by the majority of people in that state during that period of mediocrity before Sweeney’s hiring.

The longer things play out in the ACC conference the greater the chance of Clemson returning to mediocrity. The University of South Carolina and Florida Gators will vote to keep them and FSU out. FSU is likely B12 bound. Clemson will be in some private school conference unless they can get a slot with one of the big boys soon while the fires are hot.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If ESPN really can cancel or amend their agreement with the ACC, then I think the ACC Grant of Rights may be a little wobbly. The GoR was based on the TV contract, so no TV contract, no GoR (maybe).

Conference raids always happen when a TV contract is getting renewed, and the ESPN look-in coming in a year or two essentially counts as a renewal.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
North Carolina is all south culturally. The academic fit with the BIG is far less important than the southern regional fit of like mindedness. The SEC will be throwing bundles to bring them in. North Carolina is the eastern equivalent of Texas for the SEC.

Virginia will be the interesting play. My money is they head to the SEC as well.

Clemson is in desperation mode. They were mediocre in football for some time prior to their recent success. I lived in South Carolina for ten years and left the second year of Dabo’s hire. Clemson was despised and laughed at by the majority of people in that state during that period of mediocrity before Sweeney’s hiring.

The longer things play out in the ACC conference the greater the chance of Clemson returning to mediocrity. The University of South Carolina and Florida Gators will vote to keep them and FSU out. FSU is likely B12 bound. Clemson will be in some private school conference unless they can get a slot with one of the big boys soon while the fires are hot.

Walk me through how finishing 7-5 in the SEC is better for Clemson than 11-1 in the ACC.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Walk me through how finishing 7-5 in the SEC is better for Clemson than 11-1 in the ACC.
I wrote it’s very unlikely they get into the SEC. So don’t understand why I need to walk you through something unlikely to happen.

But in the off chance I’m wrong they’re likely to be in the 5-7 or 3-9 category in the SEC.

They’re fighting to get out of the ACC before slots are filled in the P3.

Reaction Score
This Clemson/FSU legal action is one of the more surreal cases I have ever seen. The entire case hinges on a contract that none of the members have an actual copy of.
Wouldn't that in itself invalidate the agreement?

Reaction Score
I wonder if Clemson's President was also unauthorized to sign the contract--like FSU's President--making the contract automatically void.

That tactic is 100% guaranteed to work!

:p
Since it was public knowledge that the agreement was signed, wouldn't there be an applicable statute of limitations on challenging it?

Reaction Score
Hard to say, that's why this case will most likely be settled. If FSU and Clemson can prove that a breach of GOR results in a penalty as opposed to a more reasonable monetary damage amount, it will work in their favor. Courts do not generally enforce penalties.

Settling this case will also likely involve the plaintiffs moving on from the ACC. We may see other ACC teams join in on the fun. My guess is that the ACC will get picked over. The remaining teams may try to merge with the Big 12, which is really the only the only plausible reason the ACC took Stanford, Cal and SMU. I think we'll also have a landing spot somewhere.
The GOR certainly seems punative. As does the large buyout amount.

Reaction Score
But where are they going? SEC?

SEC. They have to. FSU just showed you can go undefeated in the ACC and still not a get a chance to play in a national championship. Why would any recruit go there if they can go 13-0 and still be left out of the playoffs? Clemson and FSU have the choice of staying in the ACC and drifting into irrelevance or leaving for the SEC and continuing to be football powerhouses. Once realignment settles this time around the SEC and Big 10 will be the only football conferences that matter. Big 12 will be a second rate football conference compared to those two and the ACC will become a mid major for football.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Clemson and FSU have overinflated egos. The crown jewels of the ACC are UNC and Virginia. SEC wants both for their brands and cultural ties, B1G for academics and sports reputations. FSU and Clemson do not check those boxes. The Big 12 will take FSU and Clemson, but how much of an upgrade is that?

Reaction Score
Clemson and FSU have overinflated egos. The crown jewels of the ACC are UNC and Virginia. SEC wants both for their brands and cultural ties, B1G for academics and sports reputations. FSU and Clemson do not check those boxes. The Big 12 will take FSU and Clemson, but how much of an upgrade is that?
So it's no longer about football?

Virginia blows in football and UNC isn't much better.

Reaction Score
I'm very curious to see what happens with Duke. Is their basketball a big enough brand to get them into the Big 10 or SEC? If it is, then what is Kansas doing sitting in the Big 12?

Reaction Score
Since it was public knowledge that the agreement was signed, wouldn't there be an applicable statute of limitations on challenging it?

Lol not exactly a statute of limitations, more like a tacit acceptance through piggishness.

FSU and Clemson happily cashed TV checks for hundreds of millions since they signed the GOR. Let them pay all that money back with interest if they are now bothered by the GOR.

Reaction Score
The GOR certainly seems punative. As does the large buyout amount.

The GOR itself is not "punative" unless someone is trying to exit a conference. That is the point of it.

Tying the teams to the conference allowed them to sign lucrative TV contracts. The GOR benefited all the teams, including Free Shoes and Clumsy, until those schools decided it didn't. That fact will not be forgotten in the settlement.

ACC remainders likely to get a nice windfall from the settlement, because I think they have a lot of leverage here. But that is short term money.

Reaction Score
SEC. They have to. FSU just showed you can go undefeated in the ACC and still not a get a chance to play in a national championship. Why would any recruit go there if they can go 13-0 and still be left out of the playoffs? Clemson and FSU have the choice of staying in the ACC and drifting into irrelevance or leaving for the SEC and continuing to be football powerhouses. Once realignment settles this time around the SEC and Big 10 will be the only football conferences that matter. Big 12 will be a second rate football conference compared to those two and the ACC will become a mid major for football.
I don’t disagree. I just mean, is there any evidence the SEC will take them?

Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson want out but there is no perfect fit for them in the P2. They could bring the B12 that much closer to P2 level but they could do that with the ACC if they all agreed to disband and reform with a new perhaps better deal. Not much closer, but closer.
It would be so much better if there was football only conferences and all other sports regional conferences. Just separate football and don’t ruin it for everyone else.
Duke, Wake, ND, SU, bcu, SMU, Stanford, Cal
Ga Tech, Pitt, Louisville

Say any or all of the above join the Big East or a merger of the Big East with the ACC, programs not going to the other P3.
2 Divisions: Big East & ACC
No football.
All the football programs are Independent and play each other in their own format temporarily or are able to finally create a football only conference.
This is how UConn gets the best of both worlds after suffering through CR hell for a couple decades.

Found Footage Video GIF by Eternal Family

Reaction Score
So it's no longer about football?

Virginia blows in football and UNC isn't much better.
Virginia and North Carolina as excellent recruiting grounds in football and it will also be a territorial thing. Going non-South with Texas and Oklahoma is a bit off brand culturally, but North Carolina and Virginia fit (and at this point, another Vandy - in Virginia - to put on the schedule will be a welcome relief).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom