CJ Jackson (Committed to Ohio State) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

CJ Jackson (Committed to Ohio State)

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If you think Jackson will bring the same value as Selvie simply because they were both JUCO players, then I don't know what to tell you because the logic behind that is rock solid.

How do you know he wouldn't? In all seriousness, none of us have a clue.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Mulder, Kentucky's JuCo player, has barely seen the court this season, I wonder why. As for the rest of you, the most common phrase in this whole thread has been "Selvie". If you think Jackson will bring the same value as Selvie simply because they were both JUCO players, then I don't know what to tell you because the logic behind that is rock solid.

If you're looking at it that way, the logic you're using is that solely because he's a JUCO guy he isn't good enough for UConn. I get your whole thing about UConn's image being important and wanting to get the highest touted players so we have the media slobbering all over us, Drake at First Night, and half a dozen one-and-dones going in the lottery, but that's divorced from the reality of where we are located right now. If a player can give good minutes and help the team, I don't care if he comes from Bumblefu-k Community College or Some Elite Prep School With A Trail Of Reporters.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
If you're looking at it that way, the logic you're using is that solely because he's a JUCO guy he isn't good enough for UConn. I get your whole thing about UConn's image being important and wanting to get the highest touted players so we have the media slobbering all over us, Drake at First Night, and half a dozen one-and-dones going in the lottery, but that's divorced from the reality of where we are located right now. If a player can give good minutes and help the team, I don't care if he comes from Bumblefu-k Community College or Some Elite Prep School With A Trail Of Reporters.
No, the logic in using is the simple fact that the MAJORITY of these types of guys don't pan out, in fact we have one eating away at a potential scholarship for the next 2 years on the roster right now. Statistically speaking, these kids come with baggage (usually why they are in JUCO in the first place) and just don't really produce like they are expected more often than not (key phrase).

If we are filling last minute recruiting holes, I'd much rather have that Vital kid who decommited from UNLV.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
No, the logic in using is the simple fact that the MAJORITY of these types of guys don't pan out, in fact we have one eating away at a potential scholarship for the next 2 years on the roster right now. Statistically speaking, these kids come with baggage (usually why they are in JUCO in the first place) and just don't really produce like they are expected more often than not (key phrase).

It doesn't seem like you're offering statistical backup for this, instead I just see a focus on optics. It's a lazy comparison thinking that this is Cassell 2.0 just because they both happen to be JUCO guards. Plenty of people in this thread are actually comparing the numbers between the two of them instead of rushing to conclusions based on a knee-jerk reaction.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
So all this talk about Selvie got me nostalgic so I did a search to relive the past. I found an article that said Selvie had to play a high school playoff game wearing a tracking ankle bracelet and that he got his degree from New Mexico State.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It doesn't seem like you're offering statistical backup for this, instead I just see a focus on optics. It's a lazy comparison thinking that this is Cassell 2.0 just because they both happen to be JUCO guards. Plenty of people in this thread are actually comparing the numbers between the two of them instead of rushing to conclusions based on a knee-jerk reaction.
Believe me I looked, if there were a simple statistic for this type of thing I would have used it in my argument.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So all this talk about Selvie got me nostalgic so I did a search to relive the past. I found an article that said Selvie had to play a high school playoff game wearing a tracking ankle bracelet and that he got his degree from New Mexico State.

You looked up Johnny Selvie, from Chicago.

Our guy is Johnnie Selvie.

Reaction Score
Mulder, Kentucky's JuCo player, has barely seen the court this season, I wonder why. As for the rest of you, the most common phrase in this whole thread has been "Selvie". If you think Jackson will bring the same value as Selvie simply because they were both JUCO players, then I don't know what to tell you because the logic behind that is rock solid.

At this juncture, what exactly do you expect us to bring in? We have the potential need for another guard in case of injury/foul trouble etc. There's not some 5 star or even 4 star stud just waiting there for the picking. I personally am sick of us giving schollie's to walk on's to boost our team GPA when maybe there is another qualified guy out there. Stats wise, this guy can shoot it. That is a very valuable skill to have.

Using Mulder as your example is dumb. The question was posed that the "big" schools do not take JUCOs; someone responded with examples of all the big schools doing it. Mulder was given a scholarship to help fill out the roster. Even Kentucky can not have 12-13 5 star players.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
At this juncture, what exactly do you expect us to bring in? We have the potential need for another guard in case of injury/foul trouble etc. There's not some 5 star or even 4 star stud just waiting there for the picking. I personally am sick of us giving schollie's to walk on's to boost our team GPA when maybe there is another qualified guy out there. Stats wise, this guy can shoot it. That is a very valuable skill to have.

Using Mulder as your example is dumb. The question was posed that the "big" schools do not take JUCOs; someone responded with examples of all the big schools doing it. Mulder was given a scholarship to help fill out the roster. Even Kentucky can not have 12-13 5 star players.

Didn't we get Miller, Drummond, Gibbs, Kromaah all after this time of year? I mean it is a long shot. But it isn't impossible.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Didn't we get Miller, Drummond, Gibbs, Kromaah all after this time of year? I mean it is a long shot. But it isn't impossible.

Nope, can't do it. Don't know why they are even trying? What's the point? :eek:

Reaction Score
I would have liked to have seen a bracelet on our Selvies ankle, like one of those electric dog fence collars that shocked him every time he stepped out of bounds.

#training
See I remember his main issue being traveling. I can only picture him getting the ball at the top of the key and moving his feet before passing or putting it down... like 3 times per game

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Johnny Time made some really nice plays, then some really awful plays, then some strong plays, then some mind boggling plays and then he passed - once I think.;)

Every time people bitch about Purvis being the most bone headed guy they've ever seen, I think they forgot, or never saw, Johnnie Selvie. I mean, Johnnie Time didn't just invent itself.

Reaction Score
Johnny Time made some really nice plays, then some really awful plays, then some strong plays, then some mind boggling plays and then he passed - once I think.;)

The thing is, though, that he had legit skill. He was athletic, a solid rebounder, pretty solid touch. As a post player, he had a nice little jump hook. He just had some a penchant for doing other random things. But there were games where he was our legit go-to guy. Would love to have him back. Even if he'd only pass if he was triple team and had a clear sight line to someone begging for the ball.

Reaction Score

We absolutely did. I'm more addressing the idea that taking any JUCO is a terrible, desperation move. If there's a worthwhile grad transfer I'm all for it. Not sure there is the depth in that area this year, though.

Reaction Score
List of JUCO players who went onto become good D-1 players or NBA players in recent years:

Kenny Chery (Baylor)
Darius Carter (Wichita St)
Cleanthony Early (Wichita St)
Marshall Henderson (Ole Miss)
Geron Johnson (Mempis)
Chris Jones (Louisville)
Pierre Jackson (Baylor)
Yanik Moreira (SMU)
Dustin Hogue (Iowa St)
Josh Harrellson (Kentucky)
Darius Johnson-Odom (Marquette)
Trevor Mbakwe (Minnesota)
Jae Crowder (Marquette)
Jimmy Butler (Marquette)
Carl Landry (Purdue)

I'm sure there are ones I have missed also. To completely ignore the JUCO scene to fill rosters is a mistake. That's not to say you should only rely on JUCO players also. Obviously not every player will work out or reach expectations but the same happens with 5* player/McDonalds AA. If the player makes sense and the coaching staff thinks he will fill a role or has a place on the team then bring him in. I trust the coaches over a poster on here to evaluate talent and comparing Jackson to Cassell is useless. Cassell was never brought in to be a go to player or starter. They brought him in to provide backcourt depth and a scorer/shooter off the bench and things unfortunately didn't turn out that way.

Reaction Score
Marquette with 3 that stand out and 2 that are really good players at the next level too, that's amazing huh?

Reaction Score
If I hadn't seen your human face, I'd be convinced this was a bot account.

986841.jpg

I. Am. @tcf15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member