Cinncinnati Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cinncinnati Postgame Thread

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Am I missing something? Uconn just beat a UC team that has an outside chance of making the tournament by 30. Tough crowd.

Victor, UConn is a 19-1 ELITE top 5 team!! I judge their success on games they play against other elite top 10 ranked teams, not AAC teams or weaker unranked opponents. Being a UConn fan, I love to see them win, and will take any win we can get................ugly or other wise.

I expect UConn to beat AAC teams like Cincinnati in similar fashion, but I'm not going to break out my happy dance and assume they are going to have this kind of success against all comers going forward. I want UConn to become bad for wcbb again, and the sooner, the better!! :D

Here's the rub - The upcoming games against #3 Oregon and #1 South Carolina will tell us all we need to know about our team's current "state". These are the types of teams UConn will meet and have to beat to advance to play that final weekend, especially if they are awarded a 2 seed. As a #2 seed, they will face a #1 seed in the regional final (unless the #1 seed gets knocked off in an earlier round) for the championship.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
LIv: 12 pts on 6/6 shooting, 9 rbs, 2 asts & a block. Pretty nice game except for the damned charging fouls. Opposing teams are looking for every opportunity to step in front of Liv and flop. She's got to be aware that she's going to get a steady parade of defenders trying to draw charging fouls on her.

We need that type of consistency from her the remainder of the year if UConn expects to go deep into the tournament. Right now, it's a very good possibility that UConn will go in as a #2 seed. Right now (today) they're #4 in the AP top 25, and #5 in the coaches poll. We'll know for sure after the South Carolina game on Feb 10.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Meg gave up at least 3-4 open turnarounds from the foul line or closer against the zone. Making some of those shots forces the defense to move the middle of the 2-3 zone up higher which makes the defense defend one on one on the low block and allows for low cutters. Two of Meg's 5 turnovers were overhand hard cross court passes. In general, she has to be more careful with the ball and not try to force anything. She sat most of the third quarter due to the second eye injury but still had 21 and 11.The freshmen didn't score much but they did contribute in other ways. The big negative was the second quarter. The ball movement stopped as did the cutting. We need a 4 quarter effort on Monday with no real lulls.

Reaction Score
We need that type of consistency from her the remainder of the year if UConn expects to go deep into the tournament. Right now, it's a very good possibility that UConn will go in as a #2 seed. Right now (today) they're #4 in the AP top 25, and #5 in the coaches poll. We'll know for sure after the South Carolina game on Feb 10.

In the postgame presser Geno said the season is over after 35 games, so my guess is Uconn will not go deep into the tournament.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Rather lengthy thread for good reason. Am amazed that despite the length, I can agree with virtually every comment that has been made.
Can't recall that ever being the case before.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Victor, UConn is a 19-1 ELITE top 5 team!! I judge their success on games they play against other elite top 10 ranked teams, not AAC teams or weaker unranked opponents. Being a UConn fan, I love to see them win, and will take any win we can get................ugly or other wise.

I expect UConn to beat AAC teams like Cincinnati in similar fashion, but I'm not going to break out my happy dance and assume they are going to have this kind of success against all comers going forward. I want UConn to become bad for wcbb again, and the sooner, the better!! :D

Here's the rub - The upcoming games against #3 Oregon and #1 South Carolina will tell us all we need to know about our team's current "state". These are the types of teams UConn will meet and have to beat to advance to play that final weekend, especially if they are awarded a 2 seed. :confused:
The team looked sluggish against Memphis and UCF on the road. You must admit, they have progressed significantly since then. (Griffin and Makurat's progress for example). The staff has a great game plan in place for Oregon, just like they did for Baylor. If they make shots, they will beat Oregon.

I think with this year's group, any win by 30 is good win. I choose to enjoy the positives (Evelyn for example) and let the rest take care of itself.

Reaction Score
30 point win with just 3 points from Griffin and 0 points from Makurat. These 2 need to step it up against Oregon, for us to have a shot.
I sit courtside, and Makurat was the most vocal player on the team. Her plus/minus stats must be off the charts! That is the best game I have ever seen anyone play who scored zero points. It is really unbelievable how many times she is wide open in the corner and the ball goes the other way. At one point, she shouted at a teammate for not even looking at her.
The best example of this was two back to back plays in the third or fourth quarter. The ball was rotated to the weak side elbow behind the three-point line to Anna, who immediately passed it to Williams for an open corner three, which she missed (of course). The very next play, the player's positions were reversed; Williams received the pass and, instead of rotating to a wide open Anna in the corner, chucked up a three over the hand of a defender that again missed (of course).
The rest of the team has to look for a player who has the best court vision on the team and is, when hot, the best three-point shooter they have. The fact that she only took four or five shots all game, a couple out of frustration, is just totally ridiculous.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Am I missing something? Uconn just beat a UC team that has an outside chance of making the tournament by 30. Tough crowd.
Not sure if you mean the WNIT or NCAA tournament. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I sit courtside, and Makurat was the most vocal player on the team. Her plus/minus stats must be off the charts! That is the best game I have ever seen anyone play who scored zero points. It is really unbelievable how many times she is wide open in the corner and the ball goes the other way. At one point, she shouted at a teammate for not even looking at her.
The best example of this was two back to back plays in the third or fourth quarter. The ball was rotated to the weak side elbow behind the three-point line to Anna, who immediately passed it to Williams for an open corner three, which she missed (of course). The very next play, the player's positions were reversed; Williams received the pass and, instead of rotating to a wide open Anna in the corner, chucked up a three over the hand of a defender that again missed (of course).
The rest of the team has to look for a player who has the best court vision on the team and is, when hot, the best three-point shooter they have. The fact that she only took four or five shots all game, a couple out of frustration, is just totally ridiculous.

I don't get it either. This has been a recurring theme that quite a few people have brought up, but my guess is the coaching staff must not be seeing the same thing otherwise it would have been rectified by now.

Reaction Score
I don't get it either. This has been a recurring theme that quite a few people have brought up, but my guess is the coaching staff must not be seeing the same thing otherwise it would have been rectified by now.
I wonder if any other Freshman has ever hit 8-10 threes in a game?

Reaction Score
I couldn’t agree more. No points but 5 rebounds, 3 blocks, and four assists with 0 turnovers. And as I said earlier, the assists would have been higher with better finishes. And I too saw her being ignored when open. My thought is that Paige won’t ignore her and these two will be the driving force next year.

Reaction Score
Kyla and Griffin seems to pass her when she is open. She does not hesitate to pass to an open teammate.
You have to go back a long way to find a Freshman with her court vision. She didn’t miss an open teammate all night. My only criticism is that when she drives into the lane, she is looking to pass. That is admirable, but she passes up a lot of pull up jumpers in doing so. As a 6’ 3” player off the dribble, she is almost indefensible when she gets into the lane.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

the 2Q. Maybe the rules can be changed so we get to pick the best 3 out of 4 :rolleyes:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Hey guys we scored 80 pts and had a bad 2ed qtr and Griff and Anna were silent. Not bad. Oregon will key on CD and Meg. Liv needs to stay out of foul trouble. UConn will double down in the middle if Oregon bigs get hot and someone will guard Sabrina like a blanket. Will be a different game then what we've been seeing. The good news is we have more scorers then we did against Baylor. Should be a tuff game and grind it out game. If we score 80 pts against Oregon we win, However I think the score will be in the high 60's maybe low 70's. UConns defense will make sure of it .

Reaction Score
Hey guys we scored 80 pts and had a bad 2ed qtr and Griff and Anna were silent. Not bad. Oregon will key on CD and Meg. Liv needs to stay out of foul trouble. UConn will double down in the middle if Oregon bigs get hot and someone will guard Sabrina like a blanket. Will be a different game then what we've been seeing. The good news is we have more scorers then we did against Baylor. Should be a tuff game and grind it out game. If we score 80 pts against Oregon we win, However I think the score will be in the high 60's maybe low 70's. UConns defense will make sure of it .
Who will guard her like a blanket?

Reaction Score
Geno always favors his older players and his recruits, partly why Stevens, a transfer, was under used.

Reaction Score
This team is not an offensive juggernaut. To inconsistent. They will go as far as defense takes them. Like the other AAC teams that have given us trouble, Cincinnati bailed on going for offensive rebounds and instead emphasized getting back on defense to prevent UConn from running in transition.

Reaction Score

Here's the rub - The upcoming games against #3 Oregon and #1 South Carolina will tell us all we need to know about our team's current "state". These are the types of teams UConn will meet and have to beat to advance to play that final weekend, especially if they are awarded a 2 seed. As a #2 seed, they will face a #1 seed in the regional final (unless the #1 seed gets knocked off in an earlier round) for the championship.

The nice thing about the Massey Ratings, as opposed to say Sagarin, is that it gives both an expected score and therefore an expected spread. So whatever level team UConn is playing, the score and the spread take that into account.

Yesterday Massey predicted a 79-57 score. So, according to its algorithm, UConn slightly surpassed expectations.

You can certainly question the algorithm or prefer the eye test. But if you agree with Massey, it was a good win in toto just as was the game against Tennessee.

I too wish for more consistency but, given the new parts and the young team, I’ll take the final score.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Who will guard her like a blanket?

I think it'll be a rotation of CD and Megan (and maybe Aubrey if she isn't having a freshman game...) assigned to face guard her unless one can shut her down (unlikely).

Reaction Score
T When we beat them when Sebrina was younger I think Geno had Gabby on her and she had some difficulty with a taller player. Maybe he will put Aubrey on her for a bit. I can't wait for the game Monday.

This is a great dilemma. If he uses Aubrey on her - is Liv in the game? If Liv and AG are in the game - then the offense suffers, right? As it is, it's not a great offense.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This team is not an offensive juggernaut. To inconsistent. They will go as far as defense takes them. Like the other AAC teams that have given us trouble, Cincinnati bailed on going for offensive rebounds and instead emphasized getting back on defense to prevent UConn from running in transition.
While this year’s UConn team has been inconsistent to say the least, they have consistently played solid defense against everyone. Last night the Huskies held the Bearcats to 20 pts less than their season average.

On Monday UConn will face the ultimate test. Oregon leads the nation at 87 ppg. While I fully expect the Huskies to hold the Ducks to something less than that, how much less will determine whether or not UConn can prevail against a really talented Oregon team.

Reaction Score
UConn missed 10 layups for the game, including 5 in the second quarter that Cincinnati won. Needs to get sharper in that area.

Real dependability from Crystal and Megan.

Reaction Score
UConn missed 10 layups for the game, including 5 in the second quarter that Cincinnati won. Needs to get sharper in that area.

Real dependability from Crystal and Megan.
There were two plays in a row where Ana grabbed the rebound, led the break on the dribble and made a perfect pass, only to have someone blow a wide open layup. Maybe Geno should spend an hour in practice doing 3 on 2 drills?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom