Cincy suspends John Brannen | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Cincy suspends John Brannen

Reaction Score
I know very little about this, so I promise I'm not being snarky, lol.

If Cinci has a better campus and more research in their portfolio, why are they ranked way lower than UConn on the national ranking scales? Obviously they're all biased in one way or another. But they seem to generally be a reflection of what you hear about schools-ish.

I know A LOT has to do with research and the specific school, and all that. And for my fiance who is defending her PhD this summer, the "prestige" of a school in her field matters less than the advisors you can get and publishing opportunities. Rutgers is randomly like a top 5 school for some subset of her field and super-competitive to get into, even though it's not really that competitive outside of that.

US News "national colleges"
UConn - #63
Cinci - #143

Niche overall:
UConn - #158
Cinci - #171

Forbes:
Uconn - #130
Cinci - #313

WSJ
UConn - #97
Cinci - #291

There's others... but I guess you get the idea.
I’ve always wondered why UC had such a low ranking but attributed it somewhat to UC attracting students who were from Cincinnati and couldn’t afford out of state tuition to go elsewhere. I think they’ve made it a point to add more of a global student body in the past few decades. The campus was a mess while I was there but it was mostly because of all of the construction that has taken place since the early 2000s.... it’s almost unrecognizable now with how amazing I think it looks. The campus area is also right next to the Over the Rhine neighborhood that has been reinvigorated also within the past few decades.
For research purposes it certainly helps to have a few large companies here such as P&G, Kroger and General Electric along side some of the top research hospitals in the country such as Cincinnati Children’s.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
later jerk. hope the next guy is less of a psychopath.
1618001892724.png

"So is there a little wiggle room on that whole not a psychopath thing?"

Reaction Score
One of the reasons UC scores relatively lower in USN&WR and other rankings is because it offers a lot of cooperative education opportunities, primarily in engineering and business, which are mandatory five-year majors (incidentally, UC pioneered the concept of cooperative higher education more than a century ago). Participating students gain OJT, earn income, and build their pre-graduation resumes, but those programs obviously affect the university's four-year graduation rates, an important metric rating entities rely upon to ascertain rankings. Perhaps you should be asking yourself why, if Cincy is ranked so low, it attracts more research dollars and has more successful alumni able and willing to contribute to the school's endowment?
Because it is located in Ohio, a more politically influential state, and uses pork to invest in research infrastructure that allows it to be more competitive when submitting for research grants?

Reaction Score
With the DePaul and Loyola jobs taken up, Cleveland State's Dennis Gates should be the guy.

16-4 in Horizon league play this year. The previous four years prior to Gates? No season better than .333 in conference play.

@kobe, what's your take if Gates is the next guy? Stoked? I would.

Reaction Score
Seeing on the Cincy message board that they have interest in Kimani. Same with a sports writer in El Paso for UTEP (alum).

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
In Ohio the talk is Archie Miller or their former assistant with Cronin at UCLA right now. Don’t think they can afford either if have to pay Brannon. Worries about money... go figure in AAC.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
First calls you make are Jay Wright and Brad Stevens. Simple.

Reaction Score
Maybe Cincy can get the Miller brothers as a package. LOL

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
With the DePaul and Loyola jobs taken up, Cleveland State's Dennis Gates should be the guy.

16-4 in Horizon league play this year. The previous four years prior to Gates? No season better than .333 in conference play.

@kobe, what's your take if Gates is the next guy? Stoked? I would.

he's got a similar path as Brannen...assistant at a major program and has made a pretty remarkable turnaround at a horizon league school. in terms of personality he seems like the anti-brannen. seems like he'll get his shot at this level soon but not sure if he's ready just yet.

Seeing on the Cincy message board that they have interest in Kimani. Same with a sports writer in El Paso for UTEP (alum).
his name has popped up because he has some connection to our AD since both were at Minnesota at the same time. i'd guess if lil ricky pitinio didnt take the new mexico job his name would come up here too.

Reaction Score
Because it is located in Ohio, a more politically influential state, and uses pork to invest in research infrastructure that allows it to be more competitive when submitting for research grants?
Green with envy?

Reaction Score
They already went the hot Horizon League coach route with Brannen (when hired he'd been to two NCAA tournaments and an NIT with three-straight 20-win seasons). I don't think they'll go there again if they have other options (and the finances to do something else).

Reaction Score
I know very little about this, so I promise I'm not being snarky, lol.

If Cinci has a better campus and more research in their portfolio, why are they ranked way lower than UConn on the national ranking scales? Obviously they're all biased in one way or another. But they seem to generally be a reflection of what you hear about schools-ish.

I know A LOT has to do with research and the specific school, and all that. And for my fiance who is defending her PhD this summer, the "prestige" of a school in her field matters less than the advisors you can get and publishing opportunities. Rutgers is randomly like a top 5 school for some subset of her field and super-competitive to get into, even though it's not really that competitive outside of that.

US News "national colleges"
UConn - #63
Cinci - #143

Niche overall:
UConn - #158
Cinci - #171

Forbes:
Uconn - #130
Cinci - #313

WSJ
UConn - #97
Cinci - #291

There's others... but I guess you get the idea.

I did a roadtrip of the Southwest/Midwest which I mentioned before in another post.

well... to keep it short. I visited Cincy and since it was during covid-19 and there wasn't much to do... I decided to drive-by Xavier and University of Cinci... (also eventually visited OSU at Columbus)

I was fascinated by the lovely and hilly urban campus of the University of Cincinnati. Honestly I was quiet impressed. It looks well-maintained, aesthetically pleasing, and they squeeze a heck of a lot of buildings into a relatively small central campus. The football stadium is jam packed in between other buildings. Yet, it all looks really good with the hilly terrain.

For someone like me that attended a sprawling suburban campus (Stony Brook University) and whose wife attended rural UConn... it was a nice to see a good looking open urban campus for a change. especially as the nearest urban campus to my house are Fordham and Columbia (both locked-in and mostly segregated from the rest of the city)

Also saw a lot of research buildings further from the central part of campus. Looks like a good school... but hey I have nothing more than looks to back it up

Definitely UofCincy looks like one of the economic/research engines of the city. Xavier not so much other than a smaller private catholic university

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom