Cincy suspends John Brannen | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cincy suspends John Brannen

Reaction Score
Can you imagine Jim Calhoun coaching D1 now? I can't. That's how much the world has changed.
The last couple years at uconn, Calhoun was very close on a few occasions of completely losing it and making a huge scene. Calhoun, however, was on his worst behavior during games, not in practices and off the court where he was much more mellow

Reaction Score
$5M buyout. Not terrible but I cant imagine UC is swimming in cash. Idk anything about their booster situation, do they have rich donors?
Let's see. UConn's endowment is about $460 Million while Cincy's is about $1.4 Billion. So they just might have a few with deep pockets.

Reaction Score
The last couple years at uconn, Calhoun was very close on a few occasions of completely losing it and making a huge scene. Calhoun, however, was on his worst behavior during games, not in practices and off the court where he was much more mellow

I have to beg to differ on that. I was a UConn student when Calhoun arrived. He was fierce, even in practices, I witnessed it first hand. But despite how intense he could get you always knew it was coming from a place of passion and love for the game and wanting the absolute best for his kids.

I was so happy when he arrived at UConn. Even in that first 9-19 season, you knew we were going to be a legit contender in the Big East with him in charge. The program went from largely irrelevant to nationally prominent within 5 years. And a real stepping stone was the NIT championship in 1988 which helped develop the winning culture. Thrilled I was a student for that one, and also for having Geno and JC both arrive while I was there. The women didn't even charge admission when I was a student if I remember correctly and the student admission to the men's games in the field house was a dollar plus you had to show your student ID. True story.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Does anyone have a complete list of the accusations?

Reaction Score
Very true about being more mellow off the court and practices other than the early ones or after a loss.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Looks like Cincy is taking a page out of the UConn playbook
Wonderful - just fire the guy and get on with it
Exactly! Well, except that UConn fired Ollie, NCAA violations, the same violations that the NCAA gave him a three-year show cause penalty for. And for lying to the AD, just as the NCAA found that he liked them. But other than that spot on!

Reaction Score
Related...Did I space out and not hear what the final KO resolution legally was/is? Are the lawsuits over?

Reaction Score
The mutually agreed upon arbitrator died. So the issues are who is the new arbttrator? Does a new arbitrator start all over again from the very beginning or pick up where they left off and just review the record? The later is quicker but filled with legal issue quicksand.
The bottom-line is the goal posts are moved further into the future. That seldom helps the party trying to collect money.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Related...Did I space out and not hear what the final KO resolution legally was/is? Are the lawsuits over?
There never were any lawsuits. KO is arbitrating his dismissal. The arbitrator passed away so in many ways the whole thing is back to square one.

But, just like you, most people have no idea it’s still going on. In year three of Hurley’s contract, it is essentially a non-issue.

Reaction Score
With today's big contracts, it seems like these suspensions subject to investigations are going to be occurring more and more. What are the real allegations here? Is it just that he's demanding on his players? The world is upside down. Brannen is suspended and will likely be fired while Wade and Miller still have jobs and Self has a contract for life?

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
With today's big contracts, it seems like these suspensions subject to investigations are going to be occurring more and more. What are the real allegations here? Is it just that he's demanding on his players? The world is upside down. Brannen is suspended and will likely be fired while Wade and Miller still have jobs and Self has a contract for life?
that hes a psycho manipulating pathological liar that had no empathy or relationships with any of his players. ran them into the ground and had the medical staff scared to step in to stop practices. strength coach bailed on him after one year. players were afraid to talk to assistants about the head coach due to fear of it getting back to him.

smart basketball coach but totally clueless on the people skills which is about 80% of being a high major basketball coach in 2021.

Reaction Score
that hes a psycho manipulating pathological liar that had no empathy or relationships with any of his players. ran them into the ground and had the medical staff scared to step in to stop practices. strength coach bailed on him after one year. players were afraid to talk to assistants about the head coach due to fear of it getting back to him.

smart basketball coach but totally clueless on the people skills which is about 80% of being a high major basketball coach in 2021.
Do you think they'll be able to fire him with cause? Any ideas who they want in place of Brannen if that happens?

Reaction Score
UConn's endowment is embarrassingly bad. It's about the same as UVM.

I know very little about the endowment, or any endowment really. How much of that lack of funds has to do with the fact that they've done so much construction recently?

Reaction Score

Holy smokes. What an s show.

CL82

Reaction Score
I know very little about the endowment, or any endowment really. How much of that lack of funds has to do with the fact that they've done so much construction recently?
Not much. It is as high as it has ever been. Traditionally UConn has relied on the state's largesse to fund it so there was not a priority in fund raising and building up an endowment. The state's financial status that has changed so the university is increasing gradually but we have lost time value by not starting, say, 50 years ago. On average the market grows about 11% per year. Some of these big endowments are less a function of one guy writing huge checks than prudent investment beginning decades ago.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Do you think they'll be able to fire him with cause? Any ideas who they want in place of Brannen if that happens?
they are going to try. brannen lawyered up with a high profile guy. my guess is he'll settle for something less than a full buyout (which is 5.25m something UC doesn't just have laying around as an AAC school).

the names that people have heard of will be archie miller and bryce drew imo. archie has serious interest reportedly. beyond that, i don't know of many names.

Reaction Score
UConn's endowment is embarrassingly bad. It's about the same as UVM.
For comparison sake UMass endowment is 900 million-
University New Hampshire 400million
UConn does a poor job on the fiscal side.

Reaction Score
All of UMass or just UMass Amherst?
Amherst is 368 million
UMass total is 900 million

UConn does not break out Storrs so number is for Storrs and regional campuses probably most designated to main campus

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom