Cincy suspends John Brannen | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cincy suspends John Brannen

Reaction Score
Amherst is 368 million
UMass total is 900 million

UConn does not break out Storrs so number is for Storrs and regional campuses probably most designated to main campus

I doubt that the regional campuses get much of anything in terms of endowment, just because most people are there with the intention of transferring somewhere else.

I do wish that UConn would consider trying to expand the branch campuses into "real colleges," but I think they're more focused on trying to get their research/publications, academic reputation and all that up so they can get into the top 50 for national university rankings.

Reaction Score
I doubt that the regional campuses get much of anything in terms of endowment, just because most people are there with the intention of transferring somewhere else.

I do wish that UConn would consider trying to expand the branch campuses into "real colleges," but I think they're more focused on trying to get their research/publications, academic reputation and all that up so they can get into the top 50 for national university rankings.
We are such a small state we can have a set up like North Carolina or other states with multiple campuses. That also is why UConn is such an expensive school for in state students

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Another former Big East program thriving in the AAC.

Reaction Score
I know very little about the endowment, or any endowment really. How much of that lack of funds has to do with the fact that they've done so much construction recently?
I'd wager that there's been more recent construction activity on Cincinnati's main campus than on UConn's, including more than $150 million (privately funded) in stadium and arena upgrades. You might expect that of a state university with an enrollment of more than 45,000 students. But there's quality in addition to quantity. Forbes has listed the UC campus among the ten most beautiful in the United States.

And UConn doesn't trail UC only in endowment. UC's research portfolio blows UConn's away.

Reaction Score
I'd wager that there's been more recent construction activity on Cincinnati's main campus than on UConn's, including more than $150 million (privately funded) in stadium and arena upgrades. You might expect that of a state university with an enrollment of more than 45,000 students.

FWIW - One of many on-going projects on UConn’s Main Campus: Construction Kicks Off on UConn’s Transformational New Science Quad

UConn has also transformed its athletic facilities with the completion of a new baseball stadium, new softball field, new soccer/lacrosse complex, new athletic performance building in addition to a new turf intramural/practice field all which had their grand openings this past year. Groundbreaking on a new hockey arena occurs later this spring.

Reaction Score
I'd wager that there's been more recent construction activity on Cincinnati's main campus than on UConn's, including more than $150 million (privately funded) in stadium and arena upgrades. You might expect that of a state university with an enrollment of more than 45,000 students. But there's quality in addition to quantity. Forbes has listed the UC campus among the ten most beautiful in the United States.

And UConn doesn't trail UC only in endowment. UC's research portfolio blows UConn's away.

I know very little about this, so I promise I'm not being snarky, lol.

If Cinci has a better campus and more research in their portfolio, why are they ranked way lower than UConn on the national ranking scales? Obviously they're all biased in one way or another. But they seem to generally be a reflection of what you hear about schools-ish.

I know A LOT has to do with research and the specific school, and all that. And for my fiance who is defending her PhD this summer, the "prestige" of a school in her field matters less than the advisors you can get and publishing opportunities. Rutgers is randomly like a top 5 school for some subset of her field and super-competitive to get into, even though it's not really that competitive outside of that.

US News "national colleges"
UConn - #63
Cinci - #143

Niche overall:
UConn - #158
Cinci - #171

Forbes:
Uconn - #130
Cinci - #313

WSJ
UConn - #97
Cinci - #291

There's others... but I guess you get the idea.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
FWIW - One of many on-going projects on UConn’s Main Campus: Construction Kicks Off on UConn’s Transformational New Science Quad

UConn has also transformed its athletic facilities with the completion of a new baseball stadium, new softball field, new soccer/lacrosse complex, new athletic performance building in addition to a new turf intramural/practice field all which had their grand openings this past year. Groundbreaking on a new hockey arena occurs later this spring.

1617731735530.png

It's good to see they've kept tradition alive.

Reaction Score
I know very little about this, so I promise I'm not being snarky, lol.

If Cinci has a better campus and more research in their portfolio, why are they ranked way lower than UConn on the national ranking scales? Obviously they're all biased in one way or another. But they seem to generally be a reflection of what you hear about schools-ish.

I know A LOT has to do with research and the specific school, and all that. And for my fiance who is defending her PhD this summer, the "prestige" of a school in her field matters less than the advisors you can get and publishing opportunities. Rutgers is randomly like a top 5 school for some subset of her field and super-competitive to get into, even though it's not really that competitive outside of that.

US News "national colleges"
UConn - #63
Cinci - #143

Niche overall:
UConn - #158
Cinci - #171

Forbes:
Uconn - #130
Cinci - #313

WSJ
UConn - #97
Cinci - #291

There's others... but I guess you get the idea.
One of the reasons UC scores relatively lower in USN&WR and other rankings is because it offers a lot of cooperative education opportunities, primarily in engineering and business, which are mandatory five-year majors (incidentally, UC pioneered the concept of cooperative higher education more than a century ago). Participating students gain OJT, earn income, and build their pre-graduation resumes, but those programs obviously affect the university's four-year graduation rates, an important metric rating entities rely upon to ascertain rankings. Perhaps you should be asking yourself why, if Cincy is ranked so low, it attracts more research dollars and has more successful alumni able and willing to contribute to the school's endowment?

Reaction Score
Forbes has listed the UC campus among the ten most beautiful in the United States.

Not that it matters, but the person at Forbes who wrote this was being blackmailed, lost a bet, or meant to type "in Cincinnati" and accidentally typed "the United States."

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
later jerk. hope the next guy is less of a psychopath.
Something something you drove this guy to the airport as well… rough few years

Reaction Score
Brannen has to be one of the worst hires I’ve ever seen. What did Cincy see in this guy?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Not that it matters, but the person at Forbes who wrote this was being blackmailed, lost a bet, or meant to type "in Cincinnati" and accidentally typed "the United States."
Not true. Cincinnati with its pacific coast beaches, palm trees and beautiful weather all year round is one of the most breathtaking places in the country

Reaction Score
Brannen has to be one of the worst hires I’ve ever seen. What did Cincy see in this guy?
Was he a great hire, prob not. That being said, he did take N Kentucky to 2 tourneys in 3 years, after an 8th place finish his first year on the job. Young coach on the rise, people have reached for worse

Reaction Score
Doesn't sound like they were able to get him for cause.

Reaction Score
Sounds like it may be an AD problem and not a John Brannen problem. I still don't know what he's accused of for cause? He didn't let the parents cook them potluck suppers and bring orange slices to the games?

Reaction Score
Cincy might as well embrace the bad boy life and hire Pitino

Reaction Score
As of right now the articles I've seen have yet to be able to figure out what Cincinnati will be able to cite for cause. If this costs them their football coach too (who already had opportunities to leave) then they are going to be in deep trouble

Last edited:

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
told you guys brannens a psycho jerk. just showing his true character with the attorney he hired.

imagine turning over texts fickell sent you to try and smear the university.

good riddance dude, hope you never work again.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Cincy might as well embrace the bad boy life and hire Pitino
can't. our president was the interim at UofL when pitino was fired. he aint touching that one with a thousand footpole. not even considering the crazy high buyout iona has.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom