Cincy and the Big 12 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cincy and the Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

[Another edition of Half-Baked Jake, or deep thoughts when trying not to succumb to claustrophobia while getting an MRI for a bad back …

News: The University of Cincinnati turned over emails, travel records and other documents to The Cincinnati Enquirer last week that provided an inside view of the school's effort to get into a Power Five conference. These are some of the things The Enquirer discovered: Fortune 500 executives from Kroger's and Macy's have helped promote Cincinnati to the Big 12. Former Kansas State president Jon Wefald advised Cincinnati president Santa J. Ono that Cincinnati and a second school in expansion should be willing to initially take less than a full conference television share. Oklahoma president David Boren, one of the power brokers in all this, likes Ono and Cincinnati. Ono has made numerous visits with Big 12 presidents.

For those pushing us to do the same: The Courant did make a Freedom of Information request for similar information about UConn attempts to get into the Power Five and was told there was no relevant documents.]

A whole lotta nothin'

Reaction Score
[Another edition of Half-Baked Jake, or deep thoughts when trying not to succumb to claustrophobia while getting an MRI for a bad back …

News: The University of Cincinnati turned over emails, travel records and other documents to The Cincinnati Enquirer last week that provided an inside view of the school's effort to get into a Power Five conference. These are some of the things The Enquirer discovered: Fortune 500 executives from Kroger's and Macy's have helped promote Cincinnati to the Big 12. Former Kansas State president Jon Wefald advised Cincinnati president Santa J. Ono that Cincinnati and a second school in expansion should be willing to initially take less than a full conference television share. Oklahoma president David Boren, one of the power brokers in all this, likes Ono and Cincinnati. Ono has made numerous visits with Big 12 presidents.

For those pushing us to do the same: The Courant did make a Freedom of Information request for similar information about UConn attempts to get into the Power Five and was told there was no relevant documents.]

A whole lotta nothin'

Herbest = Smart not to leave a paper trail.
Ono = Doesn't stop at a paper trail and makes sure Twitter gets a heavy dose as well.

Reaction Score
There was a lot of noise about us sleeping the sleep of Angels.

To paraphrase PEOPLE Magazine, "Angels, they're just like us."
Turns out they have insomnia too.

Reaction Score
To paraphrase PEOPLE Magazine, "Angels, they're just like us."
Turns out they have insomnia too.
That wasn't a shot at you or anyone else Nos. I'm just saying the idea that Cincy is in were out, this that and the other, is a little irritating. No one on twitter that's for sure.

Reaction Score

A whole lotta nothin'

Isn't one of the key reasons why UConn hired Mike Tranghese as his work as a 'consultant' would exclude him from FOI requests?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
To those trashing Ono for not being discrete, let's not forget how badly Louisville's AD's public lobbying duck*ed this programs chances of getting into the ACC. Our leaders just sat and waited assuming it was going to be offered to them while watching Women's Basketball in the Bahamas meanwhile Louisville's AD is actively lobbying to the ACC presidents and steals our spot, and potentially the future health of our entire athletic department.

Reaction Score
To those trashing Ono for not being discrete, let's not forget how badly Louisville's AD's public lobbying duck*ed this programs chances of getting into the ACC. Our leaders just sat and waited assuming it was going to be offered to them while watching Women's Basketball in the Bahamas meanwhile Louisville's AD is actively lobbying to the ACC presidents and steals our spot, and potentially the future health of our entire athletic department.
See @Mr. Conehead's post quoted below as to why there is silence out of Storrs. Herbst is very smart and politically savy. IMHO she learned a LOT from the Louisville/ACC experience. She did I instruct Pendergast via email that she was the lead in CR matters ....an email ironically produced by FOI.
Isn't one of the key reasons why UConn hired Mike Tranghese as his work as a 'consultant' would exclude him from FOI requests?

Reaction Score
Last night Suzie was a guest on the Geno Coach's Show on WTIC. Spent the entire segment extolling UCONN, from the Jackson Labs facility in Farmington to the new Megadorm being built on campus with labs included. Lots of infrastructure info along with academic issues (faculty hirings, entrance requirements, etc.) She was a virtual UCONN commercial.

Reaction Score
Last night Suzie was a guest on the Geno Coach's Show on WTIC. Spent the entire segment extolling UCONN, from the Jackson Labs facility in Farmington to the new Megadorm being built on campus with labs included. Lots of infrastructure info along with academic issues (faculty hirings, entrance requirements, etc.) She was a virtual UCONN commercial.
I wonder if this is the same presentation she gave to KSU Pres Kirk Schulz when he came north for a women's hoops game

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score

Also on the AAU front geno stated that he personally saw professors from both Princeton and notre dame at his place that were being interviewed by Uconn. Talk em up!

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
If we are serious about joining the Big 12(which I doubt), we need to produce documents stating that Madison Square Garden will commit to supplying us dates for Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma in basketball every year and that we will rent Yankee Stadium(as with Army) to play Texas and/or Oklahoma in the stadium every single year. Then we have something to sell.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Given how wrong the rest of his post was, I figured it was better just to ignore it.

I probably should have. Sometimes I comment when I shouldn't.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If we are serious about joining the Big 12(which I doubt), we need to produce documents stating that Madison Square Garden will commit to supplying us dates for Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma in basketball every year and that we will rent Yankee Stadium(as with Army) to play Texas and/or Oklahoma in the stadium every single year. Then we have something to sell.

I hope you are kidding. We are definitely serious, and I don't think we'd agree to that for anybody....nor would they ask. It isn't appropriate. Our value is pretty clear without needing to play games in NYC or at Gillette.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If you think decisions like this are made because of public begging tantrums, I don't know what to tell you.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing...Louisville was the right add at the time for the ACC. They were so lucky that Louisville was even on the table since the Big 12 should've taken them well beforehand.

Louisville is good enough at basketball for UNC/Duke, and good enough in football with an upwards trajectory for FSU/Clemson. Had UConn not absolutely the bed after Edsall left we would've been a similar candidate and our geographical/academic advantage probably gets us in. But Louisville isn't in the ACC because their AD lobbied and ours didn't. Louisville as a program was in the right place at the right time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As I've said before, never underestimate the value of a good closer. Of course 'ville had some good charactoristics, every institution does, but winning happens when you present your strengths in a way that maximizes them, while minimizing your (considerable, in the case of Louisville) weaknesses.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
If you think decisions like this are made because of public begging tantrums, I don't know what to tell you.
The thing that worries me is they are made by negotiation and compromise. We lost out to Louisville because they were an appeasement to the football powers in the south. The question we should be asking ourselves is what does everyone want?

WVU - They want Cinci first and foremost for the proxy relief.
OU - Wants a network

Most of the middle probably wants to go along to get along so long as it doesnt break the bank

Who are the likely nay votes? And what is the bargaining chip? I'd really hate to be the best available on paper via the metrics only to lose out when UT or TCU or TTech finally compromises so long as Houston is one of the schools.

Reaction Score
The thing that worries me is they are made by negotiation and compromise. We lost out to Louisville because they were an appeasement to the football powers in the south. The question we should be asking ourselves is what does everyone want?

WVU - They want Cinci first and foremost for the proxy relief.
OU - Wants a network

Most of the middle probably wants to go along to get along so long as it doesnt break the bank

Who are the likely nay votes? And what is the bargaining chip? I'd really hate to be the best available on paper via the metrics only to lose out when UT or TCU or TTech finally compromises so long as Houston is one of the schools.

Obviously UConn is in the Big 12 expansion conversation for one reason: eyeballs for a conference network. There are other advantages, but none that come close to market size.

So there really aren't any bargaining chips for us. If the decision makers ultimately buy the idea that a conference network is possible (and can get Texas to give up the LHN), then they'll need UConn to get it done. If they don't, then I don't see why they'd expand at all. They don't need 12 for a CCG, they've proven they can get a spot in the tournament using their current system without a CCG, and OU and Texas no doubt plan on abandoning ship in the long term anyway.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@amory exactly my fear. My assumption would be a network with New Haven/NYC would be so much more lucrative than a network with the Houston market instead that it would be prohibitive to compromise on Houston (or Memphis, or BYU or Directional Florida) but I don't know. That, and primarily the lack of expansion at all, make me squirm.

Outside of those scenarios, I firmly believe we're the obvious choice. Heck we may even be the catalyst for expansion in the first place given what Rutgers has done for the B1G.

Reaction Score

Provided nobody is using official UConn email addresses or taking meetings with Tranghese on UConn time and in UConn facilities, his communications would probably not be subject to FOIA requests.

Reaction Score
@amory exactly my fear. My assumption would be a network with New Haven/NYC would be so much more lucrative than a network with the Houston market instead that it would be prohibitive to compromise on Houston (or Memphis, or BYU or Directional Florida) but I don't know. That, and primarily the lack of expansion at all, make me squirm.

Outside of those scenarios, I firmly believe we're the obvious choice. Heck we may even be the catalyst for expansion in the first place given what Rutgers has done for the B1G.
Personally, I take some degree of comfort in thinking that it's either us or no one. At the very least our position doesn't get worse than it is today.

I can't see a scenario where the Big 12 raids the AAC and doesn't give us a spot. That's a good thing.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Personally, I take some degree of comfort in thinking that it's either us or no one. At the very least our position doesn't get worse than it is today.

I can't see a scenario where the Big 12 raids the AAC and doesn't give us a spot. That's a good thing.
Actually, based on what's happened in the past I can totally see that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom