Cincy and the Big 12 | The Boneyard

Cincy and the Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
They're not going to add just one team. Any movement is good. If Cincy is one that helps us at it shows an eastern push and attention to the same metrics and research that favored UConn as well. They're president just happens to be an attention seeking lunatic.

Not exactly aaaaaaany movement...

Reaction Score
I think President Ono's travel, emails and effort would parallel President Herbst and the UCF President and others. This is serious business and you have to touch all the bases. Further, UConn has two large things - both TV specific - over UC. 11m people within 2 hours; and WE are a better Brand as a State Flagship. UC is basically a Public State U in an urban setting. Fine. But clearly not the breadth of a Flagship. TV analysis will bear that out.

Reaction Score
UConn, Cincy, WVU, and Temple would be a solid eastern presence. Take Navy for ballast Chief.

Reaction Score
Not worth one more thread on the topic so I'll drop it here:

Enquirer2:46pm via TweetDeck
BREAKING: Nippert expansion possible if UC joins Big 12
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...pansion-possible-if-uc-joins-big-12/80405222/

>>Ono opened up more about UC's outlook if it were to join the Power 5 Conference a day after The Enquirer reported that he has led efforts to position the school to jump to the Big 12.
"If it happens, we would consider expanding Nippert again ... make the other side taller and bigger," Ono told reporters and editors in a wide-ranging interview. "Then you are in the size range of others."<<

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Just had a Houston "insider" follow me on twitter. I guess maybe because I am worth a follow for the latest news? Anyhow his most recent tweets say his contacts at UH told him that Cincinnati "accepted a Big XII invite two weeks ago" (I guess they maybe just forgot to schedule the presser?) and that Houston's people say they have been told they are the 12th.

If interested his handle is @FigurelliSports

Reaction Score
What is the deal with Cincinnati besides a President who is at every street corner trying to sell himself and the need, if there is one, for the XII to make West Virginia happy with a local partner? Cincinnati is a smaller (TV market #34 versus #4), Midwestern version of Temple - a urban, public university in a state dominated by the flagship university with decent academics (US News has Cincy at #140, Temple at 115) and decent basketball history. Cincy has better facilities and has a football product over the last 10 to 15 years; but, are 595 - 570 overall. What is there value add?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Lots and lots of talk and momentum building up about Cincy to the B12 being a done deal. I am also feeling less optimistic about our chances than I was about a month ago when we were getting some press. If we take another collosal shot to the nads I swear I may never watch college athletics again, UConn included I dare say. This is the absolute last lifeboat out for at least a decade in the very least, even this opportunity out was somewhat unexpected and came as a result of the CFB transitioning to a playoff format, otherwise there would probably be no expansion talk.

Reaction Score
Just had a Houston "insider" follow me on twitter. I guess maybe because I am worth a follow for the latest news? Anyhow his most recent tweets say his contacts at UH told him that Cincinnati "accepted a Big XII invite two weeks ago" (I guess they maybe just forgot to schedule the presser?) and that Houston's people say they have been told they are the 12th.

If interested his handle is @FigurelliSports

Yeah, none of that is true.

Reaction Score
They're not going to add just one team. Any movement is good. If Cincy is one that helps us at it shows an eastern push and attention to the same metrics and research that favored UConn as well. They're president just happens to be an attention seeking lunatic.

Well it seems to be working...

Reaction Score
Ohio is a big market, and even though osu is the dominant player there is only one p5 conference participant right now so if you're looking to expand your horizons it's an obvious choice. Plus they have access to nfl facilities which are better than most if not all of the b12 stadiums. Regardless of what happens i suspect there is going to be more movement given the inequalities in these p5 tv contracts so with all of the dynamics of that situation we could see some big shifts and not necessarily limited to one or two conferences.

Reaction Score

Ono might be a lunatic, but if his crusade gets Cincy into a P5 Conference over a school like UCONN, they should build a 200' gold statue of him on campus.

Reaction Score
UC’s annual athletics budget ($27.7 million in 2015) would be the lowest in the Big 12,

From @Jostar's link above, pretty sure that number is way off. Which is to say, much of the so called "smoke" in Cinny's favor is nothing more than uninformed guesses.

I still like our chances, especially since everything seems so quiet on our end.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati to the Big 12 makes sense for both parties. But they need to change those uni's.
upload_2016-2-16_8-45-38.png

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I still like our chances, especially since everything seems so quiet on our end.

I was once CMO of a tech startup that was the brand leader in a travel niche and funded by Bain. We were just starting our silent period pre-IPO. My options were going to be worth somewhere between $500K-$750K.

Then 9/11 happened. Not only was the IPO pulled immediately, but the company did complete restructuring that eliminated 2/3 of employees, including marketing. They survived, but became a back end application for other sites and were eventually bought for not a ton of money.

So pardon my pessimism, but I have a thing about silent periods equalling shiat is about to hit the fan.

Reaction Score
Now is the time that ass hat Jacobs needs to write an article to get momentum behind UConn.

Reaction Score
I was once CMO of a tech startup that was the brand leader in a travel niche and funded by Bain. We were just starting our silent period pre-IPO. My options were going to be worth somewhere between $500K-$750K.

Then 9/11 happened. Not only was the IPO pulled immediately, but the company did complete restructuring that eliminated 2/3 of employees, including marketing. They survived, but became a back end application for other sites and were eventually bought for not a ton of money.

So pardon my pessimism, but I have a thing about silent periods equalling shiat is about to hit the fan.
Flip side is there was a lot of noise about us joining the ACC and sleeping the sleep of Angels. How did that workout. Bottom line is we won't know till we know. Same goes for Cincinnati and everyone else in "the mix".

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Now is the time that ass hat Jacobs needs to write an article to get momentum behind UConn.

He did. One. Which is one more than he had for the previous five years. His work is done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom