Cincinnati Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Cincinnati Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Cincinnati game:
  • I loved everything about Christyn’s game tonight. She came out aggressively on offense and defense, attacked the basket, rebounded and ran the floor. That opened things up for the rest of the team, particularly Megan. If Christyn & Megan both get it going at the same time, UConn is a much tougher team to defend.
  • Interesting to see Megan posting up quite a bit on offense tonight. She used to do that a lot in HS whenever she had a mismatch, which was pretty much all the time.
  • Crystal had a highlight reel layup and another rebound and put back at the end of the 3rd quarter that were both straight out of SHOWTIME. I’ve watched Crystal now for 4 years, and she never ceases to amaze me with her ability at 5’6” to elevate, contort her body and still manage to make a shot.
  • UConn really pushed the tempo tonight. Lots of transition baskets. Clearly, Geno felt that Cincinnati couldn’t run with the Huskies, and it showed.
  • I don’t care how mediocre the rest of the AAC may be. UConn going 139-0 over a seven-year period in any conference is something to celebrate. No team will ever duplicate that achievement.
  • Time to go dancing.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don’t care how mediocre the rest of the AAC may be. UConn going 139-0 over a seven-year period in any conference is something to celebrate. No team will ever duplicate that achievement.
I was going to say this. This year especially we saw lots of the so-called big dogs get beat by, or struggle to beat, non-NCAA tournament teams or bubble teams. Mississippi State lost to Alabama. Baylor just lost to a bubble team in Iowa State. Even the behemoth South Carolina struggled to beat Temple. The AAC had a winning record against the Big 12 this year, and that's despite UConn's loss to Baylor. I dare say there's not a team in the country that would've gone undefeated in 7 years in the AAC. Don't @ me :D

A couple more thoughts:
  • Great to see Jamelle giving hugs to her former players in the handshake line. The circumstances of her departure from there kinda sucked, but Michelle Clark-Heard is doing a good job and I'd like to think Jamelle is at least happy for her former players' success.

• Loved the energy and commentary of Brooke Weisbrod and Christy Thomaskutty, two of my faves.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
There is no way Cincinnati could handle the pace for four quarters. They quit hitting the offensive boards about midway through the second quarter.

Sami Rodgers had more flops than points (she was scoreless).

I lost some respect for Clarke Heard. She kept her starters in until 49 seconds left. Why?

Cincinnati was so limited. They can't press or match up and had nothing for ONO.

Walker gets more bad calls against her than anybody on any team.

Reaction Score
They did play reasonably well. Defense seemed to kick in during the second quarter and enhanced scoring. I liked that. Glad that this was the last game in AAC. Great record, but, shouldn't that be expected from Connecticut? I do hope that the Big East gets stronger and significantly more competitive. At least there will be less travel. A game with Jose and USF in January will pick up the morale of the team and give Geno a golfing weekend in the middle of winter. Ok... now the real action begins after the second game of the NCAA tournament. Things should be interesting them. Then we will all see if this team playing can continue to hold up against serious competition.

Reaction Score
Okay, I figured out in this game why Anna doesn’t take a lot of shots. Her hero was DT. (Remember when she had to be physically pushed by a teammate to talk to DT?) Anna has already out rebounded freshman DT 125-106; she has 414% 3 point average (even after 0 for America) to DT’s 386% BUT with her 8 assists tonight she is still 4 assists (105-109) behind DT. So....

Just kidding.

I think.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
four of the five were seniors in the last game of their college careers
I must respectfully disagree. They will play in the WNIT. They were down by 35. Her seniors were getting crushed. I think it is more than reasonable to pull them with at least 3 minutes left. Maybe more.

Reaction Score
4187AB11-0886-4DF7-B8D8-A5D8E779033A.png

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
This will not be a popular post. If UConn is playing it's best ball of the season and still struggling to get started against weak teams, they won't make it to even the Elite Eight. However, if four of the five starters play at their best offensively, then that would the be the improvement needed to make it far in the NCAAT. There have been too many open looks that the AAC teams have been missing. I doubt if that happens with the better teams. But, if UConn plays defense like it has, combined with the offense they have displayed recently, maybe they will surprise me. I hope so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom