Cincinnati Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Cincinnati Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Included in the game summary was the following:

"Connecticut's governor issued a voluntary travel ban for state employees on Monday. But UConn says its basketball teams will travel to postseason tournaments, with only essential personnel accompanying the team. The school did not say which employees are considered essential."

I sure hope they consider Geno essential.
LMAO.

Reaction Score
I was at the game and have a few random observations.

Took a little while to get going offensively, the shots were there but just not dropping.

Anna`s court vision and awareness is amazing. Like a good football quarterback she sees the play developing before it happens. She does not settle for the routine pass. Some of her passes in traffic are truly astounding. She seems to be looking for Megan a lot, and with good results. Although she is not a speed demon, she is very good at pushing the ball in transition. That is when UConn is at its best. Speaking of quarterbacks, there were many beautiful long passes for layups tonight.

Having said that, I think this UConn team can get pass happy at times, making them look sloppier than they should. eebmg notes the pass from Aubrey to ONO. There were many other examples. Anna almost always passes off the dribble, she needs to pull up and/or take it to the basket more if for no other reason than to keep defenses honest. An open 15 footer for all these players should be money in the bank; this team needs to recognize that and not trade it for something less. I would have all of the returning players shoot 200 key area jumpers a day in the off season. Get comfortable with that!

CW played as we would have her play. She was relentless going to the basket and rebounded aggressively, I was surprised how high she was getting off the ground. She was playing downhill, not fiddling and diddling (as Johnny Most would say) on the perimeter, as she is sometimes wont to do. Much has been said about all her playing over the last year, but she really had her legs under her tonight. I hope this layoff until the NCAAs is good for her in that regard and that her success tonight gives her something to build on going forward.

Megan was unstoppable, they had no one who could guard her. Her development from Freshman year is nothing short of astounding. She is deserving of a place on the Wall of Honor.

It is obvious in person that ONO is playing with more aggression and purpose.

Aubrey is terrific, athleticism off the charts, but she is very hesitant with the ball in a half court set. Not the first UConn Freshman who has struggled in that regard, of course.

Cincinnati is a strange team. They have no three point game, yet also no one over six feet tall. Thomas is pretty strong inside but she can`t do much against ONO. They kept milking the clock even though down by over 30. What else could they do, I guess. The point guard is very quick and a good player.

The formula for success is to defend, rebound, and get out in transition. UConn certainly did that tonight. They will need to do that when the competition gets tougher.
Two footnotes to your excellent assessment:
-Anna typically misses out on 2-3+ assists per game due to missed layups
-Anna has started to show her midrange game. At a solid 6'1," tough for most opposing guards to stop her from going to basket. While we don't see enough of it, she seems to have a solid 10' pull up shot. Wonder when Geno will force her to turn it loose.

Reaction Score
Well let’s hope that Christyn immediately backs up her one, 6 game datapoint this season, with a second, 6 game datapoint this season......:cool:
One of the best ways to get KLS in sync was to get her layups early in game. Seems to work well for Christyn. Last night, Anna in particular did outstanding job getting CW ball exactly where she wanted it. We saw minimal dribbling back and forth 30 feet from basket.

Reaction Score
With 22 wins I expect the WNIT to pick them up.
While realistically, much of Cinn. win total comes from competing in a poor league, you have to give them kudos for what was accomplished. Those seniors went through a lot - coaching changes, gym shut down, and poor support from Administration. With no one over 6' in lineup and not a particularly athletic team, 22 wins says a lot about the commitment of each player.

Reaction Score
I was at the game and have a few random observations.

Took a little while to get going offensively, the shots were there but just not dropping.

Anna`s court vision and awareness is amazing. Like a good football quarterback she sees the play developing before it happens. She does not settle for the routine pass. Some of her passes in traffic are truly astounding. She seems to be looking for Megan a lot, and with good results. Although she is not a speed demon, she is very good at pushing the ball in transition. That is when UConn is at its best. Speaking of quarterbacks, there were many beautiful long passes for layups tonight.

Having said that, I think this UConn team can get pass happy at times, making them look sloppier than they should. eebmg notes the pass from Aubrey to ONO. There were many other examples. Anna almost always passes off the dribble, she needs to pull up and/or take it to the basket more if for no other reason than to keep defenses honest. An open 15 footer for all these players should be money in the bank; this team needs to recognize that and not trade it for something less. I would have all of the returning players shoot 200 key area jumpers a day in the off season. Get comfortable with that!

CW played as we would have her play. She was relentless going to the basket and rebounded aggressively, I was surprised how high she was getting off the ground. She was playing downhill, not fiddling and diddling (as Johnny Most would say) on the perimeter, as she is sometimes wont to do. Much has been said about all her playing over the last year, but she really had her legs under her tonight. I hope this layoff until the NCAAs is good for her in that regard and that her success tonight gives her something to build on going forward.

Megan was unstoppable, they had no one who could guard her. Her development from Freshman year is nothing short of astounding. She is deserving of a place on the Wall of Honor.

It is obvious in person that ONO is playing with more aggression and purpose.

Aubrey is terrific, athleticism off the charts, but she is very hesitant with the ball in a half court set. Not the first UConn Freshman who has struggled in that regard, of course.

Cincinnati is a strange team. They have no three point game, yet also no one over six feet tall. Thomas is pretty strong inside but she can`t do much against ONO. They kept milking the clock even though down by over 30. What else could they do, I guess. The point guard is very quick and a good player.

The formula for success is to defend, rebound, and get out in transition. UConn certainly did that tonight. They will need to do that when the competition gets tougher.
Anna should have had 10 assists at halftime.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think they are gonna go NIT dancing. So hopefully a few more games.
I know but it’s hard to begrudge a few minutes more playing time in front of their fans and a big crowd to a group of seniors that played their hearts out. Besides, JJ recruited those kids and probably appreciated seeing the play one last time

Reaction Score
...Olivia was superb, derivative of Bill Russell, erasing drive attempts, deking, standing her ground, keeping the ball up high away from diminutive defenders, and continuing her superb outside shooting. One of the announcers likened her game to Kevin Durant's. In a few more years people may be likening Kevin Durant's game to hers.

Megan and Crystal expanded the legends they are creating. Crystal is a wonder on some of her three-quarter court alley oop passes.

Anna may be the gel in this new team identity. She kept things moving and had eight assists.

Evelyn is like a surprise gift being unwrapped. She blocks out, hustles and has some surprising moves on offense.

I say the sky's the limit for this team.
Liv played great, but Cincy’s starting lineup was 5’6”, 5’7”, 5’10”, 5’10” and 6’0”. Not sure this sort of success translates straight over to playing against big, strong, highly-skilled post players. So far it hasn’t. I’m hoping she has truly improved that much, and agree the sky’s the limit. But I’m not quite ready for the Kevin Durant comparison.

In any case, we’re we’re getting ready to find out.

Reaction Score
There has been concern expressed here about another slow start by UCONN.

If you look at the other top teams in Sunday's games:

Maryland - Ohio State: 1st quarter: 22-20 OSU; 2nd quarter: 24-13 Maryland
Baylor - Iowa State: 1st quarter: 19-14 ISU; 2nd quarter: 14-3 Baylor
Oregon - Stanford: 1st quarter: 17-14 Stanford; 2nd quarter: 29-9 Oregon
NC State - Florida State: 1st quarter: 19-14 FSU; 2nd quarter: 15-11 NC State
South Carolina - Mississippi State: 1st quarter: 18-10 SC; 20-12 SC

Only South Carolina got off to a good start.

Of course, all of these teams were playing much better opponents.

Reaction Score
Two footnotes to your excellent assessment:
-Anna typically misses out on 2-3+ assists per game due to missed layups
-Anna has started to show her midrange game. At a solid 6'1," tough for most opposing guards to stop her from going to basket. While we don't see enough of it, she seems to have a solid 10' pull up shot. Wonder when Geno will force her to turn it loose.
It almost looks to me, as I said elsewhere, that by design Crystal is point guard up to center line, then Anna takes over as facilitator point guard where she is expected to pass first. But, yes, she does have a good mid range jumper. And she can drive to basket as well—not exactly like a hot knife through butter, more like a Sherman tank through a forest, but still...

Also, I see hints—hints, mind you—that she could develop into a slower Sabrina.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It almost looks to me, as I said elsewhere, that by design Crystal is point guard up to center line, then Anna takes over as facilitator point guard where she is expected to pass first. But, yes, she does have a good mid range jumper. And she can drive to basket as well—not exactly like a hot knife through butter, more like a Sherman tank through a forest, but still...

Also, I see hints—hints, mind you—that she could develop into a slower Sabrina.
I really don't think Anna is as slow as everyone thinks she is. Sabrina is not significantly faster than Anna. I'm also looking forward to the sophomore Anna that will be in UConn shape as so many UConn players have done over the years.

Reaction Score
I really don't think Anna is as slow as everyone thinks she is. Sabrina is not significantly faster than Anna. I'm also looking forward to the sophomore Anna that will be in UConn shape as so many UConn players have done over the years.
Anna also has outstanding instincts. If you watch off the ball, she anticipates well. On the ball, she moves in a way to cut off the dribble and has the size to cut off most drives.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

Geno said earlier in the season that he wants her to work on elongating her stride. I feel like I remember a quip in there about her being an Olympic power walker.

I can't imagine it would be easy to change your stride when you're nearly 20, but if anyone can, Geno knows who they are.

Reaction Score
Geno said earlier in the season that he wants her to work on elongating her stride. I feel like I remember a quip in there about her being an Olympic power walker.

I can't imagine it would be easy to change your stride when you're nearly 20, but if anyone can, Geno knows who they are.

One option. Can't believe this guy is still around.

1583866259754.png

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
There has been concern expressed here about another slow start by UCONN.

If you look at the other top teams in Sunday's games:

Maryland - Ohio State: 1st quarter: 22-20 OSU; 2nd quarter: 24-13 Maryland
Baylor - Iowa State: 1st quarter: 19-14 ISU; 2nd quarter: 14-3 Baylor
Oregon - Stanford: 1st quarter: 17-14 Stanford; 2nd quarter: 29-9 Oregon
NC State - Florida State: 1st quarter: 19-14 FSU; 2nd quarter: 15-11 NC State
South Carolina - Mississippi State: 1st quarter: 18-10 SC; 20-12 SC

Only South Carolina got off to a good start.

Of course, all of these teams were playing much better opponents.
Scoring 19 or more points in the first quarter is not a slow start. It's right at 20 which I call the goal UConn should strive for. Four quarters of 20 and UConn will win 99% of their games.

Reaction Score
Actually, I agree. Anna isn’t that slow and a summer in Storrs learning how to be faster (yes, there are things you can do to increase speed in an arena as small as a basketball floor) will do wonders. Plus as she works alone, she needs a tape of Geno shouting “shoot, damn it, shoot.” When I suggest I see Sabrina in Anna I see similar frames with Anna 2 inches taller but saw Anna score 24 in a game, grab 11 rebounds in another, dish out 11 assists in another, and accumulate 6 steals in another. Putting it together is of course another matter, especially in the UConn system, but the possibility is there. She’s already AP—All Poland—but easily could be All American.

Reaction Score
Actually, I agree. Anna isn’t that slow and a summer in Storrs learning how to be faster (yes, there are things you can do to increase speed in an arena as small as a basketball floor) will do wonders. Plus as she works alone, she needs a tape of Geno shouting “shoot, damn it, shoot.” When I suggest I see Sabrina in Anna I see similar frames with Anna 2 inches taller but saw Anna score 24 in a game, grab 11 rebounds in another, dish out 11 assists in another, and accumulate 6 steals in another. Putting it together is of course another matter, especially in the UConn system, but the possibility is there. She’s already AP—All Poland—but easily could be All American.
I believe that Anna needs to also work on her ball handling and layups. She can also improve her pull-up jump shot as well. Right now it takes her a little to long to set to get a good shot up. Against really good teams she needs to be a bit more efficient.

Reaction Score
Anna is quick moving with the ball on the break and a lot of times she throws the pass before the pass that gets the assist. In other words, a hockey assist. She sees the play developing one movement before it does develop which is a great attribute. She is a big guard who can see over the defense but she doesn't take advantage of her size fully yet. She needs to finish more in the lane and at the rim with either a pull up or a lay up as ABCDFE just posted. I think you will see her with a Meg type redo over the summer which will add to the quickness. I don't really see a ceiling either for her if she continues to work. She is a genuine team player as well and I think a very self-effacing and sincere young woman. One thing I really like about her is she knows when her shot is on and does not hesitate to call for the ball when she is feeling it. I think the ball handling problem might also have a flexibility component to it so I think the summer work outs will help that as well. All in all, she has been great addition to our team.

Reaction Score
I believe that Anna needs to also work on her ball handling and layups. She can also improve her pull-up jump shot as well. Right now it takes her a little to long to set to get a good shot up. Against really good teams she needs to be a bit more efficient.
I saw her make two remarkable pull-op jumpers in heavy traffic from 12-15 feet to right of basket, reminding me of a three Lou made last year.

Reaction Score
I saw her make two remarkable pull-op jumpers in heavy traffic from 12-15 feet to right of basket, reminding me of a three Lou made last year.
No doubt she’s made a couple here and there. But I believe she could have that shot a lot more. The other problem is I’ve only seen it against the lesser teams. With the stronger defensive teams she has a tougher time getting the separation and elevation to line up her shot. That’s where I think practice and some savvy moves like a pump fake etc. could help improve her game

Reaction Score
No doubt she’s made a couple here and there. But I believe she could have that shot a lot more. The other problem is I’ve only seen it against the lesser teams. With the stronger defensive teams she has a tougher time getting the separation and elevation to line up her shot. That’s where I think practice and some savvy moves like a pump fake etc. could help improve her game
To the point of stronger teams, they will have their best defenders guard MW, CD, and CW. Anna will likely have a slower forward or smaller guard on her - in either case, the shot will be there if she commits to taking it.

Reaction Score
To the point of stronger teams, they will have their best defenders guard MW, CD, and CW. Anna will likely have a slower forward or smaller guard on her - in either case, the shot will be there if she commits to taking it.
Of course, she needs to shoot more. She has the shot. But she thinks pass first, shoot second. As long as team has good older shooters, she is going to pass. She may have been known as a shooter in Europe but you don’t suddenly develop a passing ability at her level over night. UConn has never featured players with a huge number of assists, as in more than 600 or so, because everyone passes, but the biggest change in the team dynamic I have noticed since Anna “officially” became a starter is the team has relied on her passing. CD can still dish with the best of them but she is now more a shooter, getting the dish from Anna directly or as part of a series Anna starts. MW is either gold or dust when passing but her scoring is consistent. Several times I thought Anna was momentarily open for a three when she spotted a more open Meg. CW wasn’t scoring, then Anna fed her again and again and the funk was over. Anna’s scoring goes up when she gets in a rhythm but when you take one or two shots a quarter...well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom