Cincinnati Post Game Thread [merged] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cincinnati Post Game Thread [merged]

Reaction Score
Man this is a tough crowd. UConn wins by 44 pts and the doom and gloomers are still out in force.

I get that right now it looks like there’s a significant drop off after the starting 5, and the Huskies may be forced to depend on those 5 players all the way through the Big Dance without a lot of help.

If only there was some (recent) example we could look to where a team somehow managed to ride 5 players all the way to a championship.....:rolleyes:
You got that right... I seem to remember a team wearing green that relied on basically the starting 5 right into a trophy presentation... I suspect there are others as well.

UCONN played a lot better today...and instead of getting some credit for that, it's because their opponent shouldn't be playing D1 ball. Geno can't win with some. Let's take a comfortable win and build on it.

Reaction Score
You got that right... I seem to remember a team wearing green that relied on basically the starting 5 right into a trophy presentation... I suspect there are others as well.

UCONN played a lot better today...and instead of getting some credit for that, it's because their opponent shouldn't be playing D1 ball. Geno can't win with some. Let's take a comfortable win and build on it.

Seems to me ND had a very hard to stop big on that team. ??? A transfer--

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve always wondered why the ones who can dunk don’t dunk in games. I think You’re right it probably comes down to confidence.
Big difference between dunking in practice with no one guarding you and dunking in a game. Britney Griner was the only woman I’ve seen who could rebound a ball under the basket and go back up and dunk. Any other WBB player who could dunk needed a clear lane and a running start, preferably without having to dribble. Those opportunities are quite rare over the course of a game.

Reaction Score
Why can't the bench come close on their shots?
It's one thing to miss shots -- everyone does, even Katie Lou. But our bench throws up brick after brick after air ball after air ball. They are either highly ranked recruits (Coombs, Camara, Odaba) or at least solid high school players (Bent), so I can't explain why they throw up so many horrible looking shots. As a life long shooter (I had nicknames of "Machine" and "Money," I might be biased), but the number of ugly shots is amazing to me. Maybe it's the pressure of trying to do well, or maybe it's nerves, but I am continually dismayed. I just hope it changes for at least one or two of them. They may be needed.
Like you, I am also stumped! I am not sure if it is just the last couple of freshman classes or whether this has been a problem with past UCONN teams (maybe the old BYers can comment on this). I am at a lost here. It's one thing for bench players to look lost or timid when playing against the NDs, Baylors or other programs with highly talented and athletic players, but to still not put up a respectable showing against the Cincinnatis and other minions of the AAC is truly unnerving. Lets face it, if any of our bench players were at any of these AAC teams, they would more likely be starters or at least major contributors. So the question becomes why the ineptitude when playing for UCONN against these teams? Is our system so complicated or difficult that they can not just execute them with any semblance of competence? I would think not. After all, it is basketball, something that they have played for a good chunk of their lives. At some point our bench players have to just get out of their own way and play. I don't think that Geno's system is so regimented that a player's natural or developed ability (one that they exhibited in HS and were thus recruited for) can not come through. I know, I know, I am making some very general statements that some will have issues with (especially those looking at numbers and statistics, I get it...). I guess I am frustrated because the aesthetics, the beauty of UCONN basketball, seem to disappear when our bench comes in. We become like any other run of the mill women's basketball team, lacking the athleticism of a men's team (a draw for some...) or the precision and elegance of a well-drilled, fundamentally sound women's team (i.e., UCONN, the primary draw for most of us).

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Yes, we are watching but let’s get to the fact that Geno recruited everyone one of these players for 2, 3 or 4 years and either he misread their skills or he needs to adjust his coaching. It’s one or the other with my view he needs to adjust his coaching.
When you recruit a few good players, and then, there are no more good players left.......you fill up the roster will sub-par ones.

Reaction Score
I think there were a lot of positives:

16 assists on 19 baskets in first half.
17 - 0 start to game
CW and Lou especially good
10 dimes by Crystal Dangerfield
Team should get some confidence built
Bench got needed playing time
Team got to be cheered and also sleep in their own beds afterwards

Reaction Score
In the presser. Geno is telling it like it is regarding the bench!!!!
I hope other BYers are watching.

Let's face facts..................other then ONO there's really nobody on the bench that is currently able to score points in bunches.................their job this season should be to give the starters a break and not let the other team change the momentum of the game while they are in there...................if each starter can get a 3-4 minute break per half it could make a world of difference in the final minutes of a close game.................I believe ONO can have an impact this season even if she is nowhere near as good as she's going to be in the next three years..............

Reaction Score
When you recruit a few good players, and then, there are no more good players left..you fill up the roster will sub-par ones.

ONO and Coombs were both highly ranked players out of high school.......................unfortunately both are still behind in their growth partly due to injuries in high school in ONO's case and injuries in high school and illness in college in Coombs' case....................Irwin and Bent were chosen as much for their character and smarts as their athletic abilities in what was an overall down recruiting year...............

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I think its safe to say, and I base this on the comments in the post and other posts- WE'RE DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We looked much better then we have in a while. Better poise patience and more confidence. Perhaps its being at home, with the home crowd. A couple of things I noticed. From the outside we set our feet and shot the ball. Still at times we are shooting from deep without our feet set. Release points when we shoot while moving and not set are off and many times we shoot without and arch, move of a line drive or arm extension and shooting more of a palm ball.

Overall we looked good on defense. A couple of hiccups but over all good. I like bringing in the non starters with a big lead and with the starters. Non starters get into the flow of the game and seem a bit more relaxed. As Geno mentioned our non starters have to believe in first. We picked up some sloppy habit imo while on the road for a month. Next season I hope we spend more time at home which should do away with the bordum of being on the road and sitting around in hotels.

This season seems to be more of a learning season for everybody other then the Big 3. The development of the non starters is crucial for the rest of this season and next. ONO and MW are key in making a difference next season. Both can make UConn a powerhouse next season with their development. They will need to take charge and over the next 5-6 weeks we need to see them developed.

So were back home and playing the AAC. This gives us time to work and develop and get ready for the post season. Getting the non starters ready takes time. Relentless practice and play time. Hard work is all it takes and then learning to transform what you learn in practice and bring it into a real game with confidence takes time. As I continue to repeat. Poise Patience and Confidence.

Louisville is the only real big challenge over the next couple of weeks and btw LVille is at ND tonite on ESPN @ 7pm. Should be a good game and allow us to see what we are in for.

Reaction Score
Why can't the bench come close on their shots?
It's one thing to miss shots -- everyone does, even Katie Lou. But our bench throws up brick after brick after air ball after air ball. They are either highly ranked recruits (Coombs, Camara, Odaba) or at least solid high school players (Bent), so I can't explain why they throw up so many horrible looking shots. As a life long shooter (I had nicknames of "Machine" and "Money," I might be biased), but the number of ugly shots is amazing to me. Maybe it's the pressure of trying to do well, or maybe it's nerves, but I am continually dismayed. I just hope it changes for at least one or two of them. They may be needed.
Not sure if this is serious post but in case it is, answer is simple. Two of the best shooters, Courtney Ekmark and Andrea Espinoza-Hunter transferred. No other strong shooters, other than those starting, recruited.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For what it's worth. There aren't a lot of top teams in the country that possess much depth beyond their starting 5, particularly when facing top competition. For ND, after their starting 5, it's pretty much a crapshoot. Baylor played 7 against UConn and got meaningful contributions from only 6. I think most other teams face similar dilemmas. In 2015-16, UConn went 7 deep with 2 future AA's coming off the bench. That was not only an exception for UConn, it was an exception for just about every other team in WBB.

Reaction Score
Some rough edges (to my mind the passing was only so-so) but hey, this is Jan. If the same team shows up in March, it's gonna be a little problematic. Give 'em time.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Big difference between dunking in practice with no one guarding you and dunking in a game. Britney Griner was the only woman I’ve seen who could rebound a ball under the basket and go back up and dunk. Any other WBB player who could dunk needed a clear lane and a running start, preferably without having to dribble. Those opportunities are quite rare over the course of a game.
I seem to remember, more than once, Stewie dribbling uncontested in for a layup, which it ended up being.
I also seem to remember an occasion or two where she almost turned an offensive rebound into a slam but juuuust missed.

And I am not trying to be disrespectful to either player or their abilities...I am just curious.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I seem to remember, more than once, Stewie dribbling uncontested in for a layup, which it ended up being.
I also seem to remember an occasion or two where she almost turned an offensive rebound into a slam but juuuust missed.

And I am not trying to be disrespectful to either player or their abilities...I am just curious.
There was a film of Stewie dunking in practice, taking two big strides, no dribble, then dunking with her left hand. I never saw Stewie dunk when dribbling. Mo tried several times to set her up, but the timing was never quite right. What I guess I'm saying is that I'm not certain Stewie could dunk while dribbling to the basket.

Reaction Score
In a 43 point blow out after the half---Cinci isn't ND, Baylor, Houston. They were bad, Uconn looked good. Geno: Playing and getting players in line is a "fine line" Conundrum.

It is NOT Geno this time!! He wants the Subs to shoot and score. The ball is in their hands and they pass and pass. Next game Geno stop the game, kick some tail , and get the BENCH to score. What was ONO's problem, why didn't she play except 4 min in the first half and at the tail end of the game.
Is it perception or reality?? Cinci's team (whether first string or subs) scored better than Uconn's end of bench??
Going back before Maya Geno has challenged his teams to "Do SOMETHING' when they got into the game. Change the game positively, Score--make a stop. Do SOMETHING.
Maybe he hasn't said that loud enough to the bench...
SNY after the game Kara lamented the lack of a bench and said " This must change". Nice words easily said. But how to do it??
This wasn't ND, Baylor, Houston, Sj--it was Cinci---a win is a win BUT??????
I think we have to lower our expectations that, "there is a super-star waiting to emerge," this season on the bench. Olivia likely is going to be a star, but she may take a full season to get there. The superstar who might actually emerge is Megan Walker. The starting three are already there and we have seen plenty of flashes ( of stardom ) from Williams. But if Megan starts to get into her game, with comfort and confidence, the team will improve by a great deal. It is worthy of repeating that coach Auriemma said, " this was probably the best game I have seen Megan Walker play at UConn." I don't know if this means much, but I saw a flash of Megan's face and she looked comfortable, confident and happy. That is a great sign.

Last night, Kyla played pretty well. She made some brilliant passes for assists, and got open a good
deal under the basket ( unseen, but open ). Once, she was spotted and converted the pass. I, too, was surprised that Olivia didn't get more minutes but Geno does operate with a plan. He clearly sees something in Coombs, as a back-up ball handler and defender. But she gets flummoxed when trying to score. Her outside shot is hopeless, but she is ....or should be....outstanding on the drive. So far, she isn't that either. She seems to be moving too fast for her own game. Batouly is also showing positive signs. A battler supreme and a smart player. If she stays healthy, and develops that mid range shot, she will help. Molly is far too timid and it hurts her game. We all heard the fans groan when she passed up an open three ( we have seen her make them ) , ultimately, to dish off I think.

But the team is developing. We are going to be formidable. We already are. It is a different look and feel this season, but there is championship quality in the UCONN jerseys.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think we have to lower our expectations that, "there is a super-star waiting to emerge," this season on the bench. Olivia likely is going to be a star, but she may take a full season to get there. The superstar who might actually emerge is Megan Walker. The starting three are already there and we have seen plenty of flashes ( of stardom ) from Williams. But if Megan starts to get into her game, with comfort and confidence, the team will improve by a great deal. It is worthy of repeating that coach Auriemma said, " this was probably the best game I have seen Megan Walker play at UConn." I don't know if this means much, but I saw a flash of Megan's face and she looked comfortable, confident and happy. That is a great sign.

Last night, Kyla played pretty well. She made some brilliant passes for assists, and got open a good
deal under the basket ( unseen, but open ). Once, she was spotted and converted the pass. I, too, was surprised that Olivia didn't get more minutes but Geno does operate with a plan. He clearly sees something in Coombs, as a back-up ball handler and defender. But she gets flummoxed when trying to score. Her outside shot is hopeless, but she is ....or should be....outstanding on the drive. So far, she isn't that either. She seems to be moving too fast for her own game. Batouly is also showing positive signs. A battler supreme and a smart player. If she stays healthy, and develops that mid range shot, she will help. Molly is far too timid and it hurts her game. We all heard the fans groan when she passed up an open three ( we have seen her make them ) , ultimately, to dish off I think.

But the team is developing. We are going to be formidable. We already are. It is a different look and feel this season, but there is championship quality in the UCONN jerseys.
Nice analysis. We sometimes forget just how much basketball Liv missed with her injury. She lost her entire junior year in HS, the following summer AAU & national team ball and wasn't even released for full competition until several months into her senior year of HS. From a basketball standpoint, she has a large developmental gap that will take time to bridge.

I also agree that Megan is the X-Factor for the Huskies. Kyla actually plays the best as a sub with the starters. She's smart and does all the little things well, but Kyla is limited athletically. Hopefully the Huskies can cobble together some bench help, but quite frankly, at this point, I've basically resigned myself to the fact that this team will go as far as the starting 5 takes them this season, without a lot of help. If ND can win it all basically playing 5 players, there's no reason the Huskies can't do the same.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, instead of our sofa analysis, Geno in his post game presser gives as much detail about our bench as our poor little brains can handle. ;)

Take a gander at the 8 :10 minute mark

" I like to keep Lou out on the floor with the bench players because she can fill gaps and help the others be in the right positions etc. "

" Crystal also but she has a much lower threshold for pain than Lou. Crystal starts to get a look in her eye
and looks at me like 'really? Why am I here? '"

and around the 6' mark, a socratic analysis os the yin - yang of the bench starring Batouly as the case study.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Lou in her post game interview showing her PhD is basketball and politics. :D

Reaction Score

I agree with most of this! No, and certain only an odd person would expect, ONO to emerge into a STAR this year. Walker too is essentially a Freshman plus but many of Uconn Stars emerged in their Junior year. Div one isn't for the faint of heart. CW is unique among the uniques---she has the confidence and ability to score anytime she so desires; only she doesn't always desire. Since she is a STARTER she does not belong in a discussion of the "bench" except as a goal to attain for them.
Let us not rush anointing this team as FF ready that is a long way off if ever. Coombs, Geno likes because she is not too timid (although Geno says she lacks confidence) --my opinion--she is quick, makes excellent drives to the basket, is a very good PG. Issue! Rushes her shot at the end of the drive. What does that mean? confidence??
I saw the ability of Liv, Olivia, ONO in the All Star game last April, she was better than many other to be superstars. She has it in her--I'm sure Geno is asking this--how do I pull that out of her???
I'm not writing off this year yet, there is time to fix most of what CAN be fixed. I'm not booking a room in Tampa either. What most Uconn fans don't fully appreciate--winning is nice--losing is no sin. The game is the thing.

Reaction Score
Nice analysis. We sometimes forget just how much basketball Liv missed with her injury. She lost her entire junior year in HS, the following summer AAU & national team ball and wasn't even released for full competition until several months into her senior year of HS. From a basketball standpoint, she has a large developmental gap that will take time to bridge.

I also agree that Megan is the X-Factor for the Huskies. Kyla actually plays the best as a sub with the starters. She's smart and does all the little things well, but Kyla is limited athletically. Hopefully the Huskies can cobble together some bench help, but quite frankly, at this point, I've basically resigned myself to the fact that this team will go as far as the starting 5 takes them this season, without a lot of help. If ND can win it all
basically playing 5 players, there's no reason the Huskies can't do the same.

Either she (Irwin) isn't practicing with the 5 enough or the 4 of 5 don't fully trust her. When open (she got one pass for a score from Lou) under or near the basket or on the side line (we have seen her drill a few 3s). With that happening she will go unguarded in bigger games. She is about as fully trained as any Uconn player could be. Now she must be integrated with the 4 of 5. A body in the game does nothing good she must be seen as a TEAM member who can produce. She CAN if given the opportunity.

Reaction Score
ONO and Coombs were both highly ranked players out of high school........unfortunately both are still behind in their growth partly due to injuries in high school in ONO's case and injuries in high school and illness in college in Coombs' case.....Irwin and Bent were chosen as much for their character and smarts as their athletic abilities in what was an overall down recruiting year.....
Good post! Coombs is starting to come into her skill set. ONO is at a terrific disadvantage: Injuries don't cure overnight or over year. They too change how you did things easily in the past. Which means a new learning/Teaching curve. ONO also needs strength and weight to be more effective. Not Browns weight because ONO is mobile an athletic that makes up for some weight. It will come.
Molly has skill talent and intelligence and a basketball body. A combination that spells the name her number represents. If anyone can pull Molly towards Sue (TOWARDS) it is KLS. Keep repeating--the injuries of Coomb and ONO, we forget easily..

Reaction Score
I agree with most of this! No, and certain only an odd person would expect, ONO to emerge into a STAR this year. Walker too is essentially a Freshman plus but many of Uconn Stars emerged in their Junior year. Div one isn't for the faint of heart. CW is unique among the uniques---she has the confidence and ability to score anytime she so desires; only she doesn't always desire. Since she is a STARTER she does not belong in a discussion of the "bench" except as a goal to attain for them.
Let us not rush anointing this team as FF ready that is a long way off if ever. Coombs, Geno likes because she is not too timid (although Geno says she lacks confidence) --my opinion--she is quick, makes excellent drives to the basket, is a very good PG. Issue! Rushes her shot at the end of the drive. What does that mean? confidence??
I saw the ability of Liv, Olivia, ONO in the All Star game last April, she was better than many other to be superstars. She has it in her--I'm sure Geno is asking this--how do I pull that out of her???
I'm not writing off this year yet, there is time to fix most of what CAN be fixed. I'm not booking a room in Tampa either. What most Uconn fans don't fully appreciate--winning is nice--losing is no sin. The game is the thing.
Why do people say Walker is essentially a freshman? She played 32 games last year as a freshman, and averaged 15.5 minutes per game. Walker is half-way through her sophomore year now, and will be a junior next year. I don't get how that makes her "essentially a freshman." ??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom