Cincinnati Post Game Thread [merged] | The Boneyard

Cincinnati Post Game Thread [merged]

Reaction Score
Why can't the bench come close on their shots?
It's one thing to miss shots -- everyone does, even Katie Lou. But our bench throws up brick after brick after air ball after air ball. They are either highly ranked recruits (Coombs, Camara, Odaba) or at least solid high school players (Bent), so I can't explain why they throw up so many horrible looking shots. As a life long shooter (I had nicknames of "Machine" and "Money," I might be biased), but the number of ugly shots is amazing to me. Maybe it's the pressure of trying to do well, or maybe it's nerves, but I am continually dismayed. I just hope it changes for at least one or two of them. They may be needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
This is not UConn BB that I'm used to, not on D nor O.

O seems stagnate, lots of dribbling around, just like teams we used to disdain.
On D, they get caught a lot...

We arrived in Salt Lake halfway through the first half with the starters; halfway through
the 2nd quarter, 2 subs came in and it was less coherent...Yes the starters were hitting 3's, but not crisp passing getting people open all over the court.

Had to turn it off...I'm interested in beautiful BB, this isn't it.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Probably because when they get in the game they are trying really hard to do well and are super charged up which leads to rushed shots which miss badly. I think you will see it get better once they get into the 2 games per week flow of the season.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score

We arrived in Salt Lake halfway through the first half with the starters; halfway through
the 2nd quarter, 2 subs came in and it was less coherent...Yes the starters were hitting 3's, but not crisp passing getting people open all over the court.

Yup, starting the game on a 17-0 run and never looking back certainly was not beautiful.:rolleyes:
But I will agree that when Geno did put the bench players in (as a ton of BYers want the G.O.A.T. to do), the complete flow of the game changed BUT if he doesn't do that, then they will never be a complete "well oiled machine ". I am still waiting for Molly to take the jump shot when she has it and I don't think that Liv committed a single foul.
Small steps...

Reaction Score

This team falls in love with the outside jumper too much. Watching too many Warriors games! As I mentioned before, the team has to get better with their half-court offense - more cutting, attacking the zone, etc. to get "easier" baskets.

But, its hard to complain with a 50-point victory. This is why I have a problem with the AAC. Its games like these that give a false sense of security. I'm not sure how it helps UConn win the last 3 games of the season, and in the end, thats all that matters for this team.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
But, its hard to complain with a 50-point victory. This is why I have a problem with the AAC. Its games like these that give a false sense of security. I'm not sure how it helps UConn win the last 3 games of the season, and in the end, thats all that matters for this team.
Gives who a false sense of security? The fans? Maybe. I don't think Geno is so easily fooled, nor his team.

Reaction Score
In a 43 point blow out after the half---Cinci isn't ND, Baylor, Houston. They were bad, Uconn looked good. Geno: Playing and getting players in line is a "fine line" Conundrum.

It is NOT Geno this time!! He wants the Subs to shoot and score. The ball is in their hands and they pass and pass. Next game Geno stop the game, kick some tail , and get the BENCH to score. What was ONO's problem, why didn't she play except 4 min in the first half and at the tail end of the game.
Is it perception or reality?? Cinci's team (whether first string or subs) scored better than Uconn's end of bench??
Going back before Maya Geno has challenged his teams to "Do SOMETHING' when they got into the game. Change the game positively, Score--make a stop. Do SOMETHING.
Maybe he hasn't said that loud enough to the bench...
SNY after the game Kara lamented the lack of a bench and said " This must change". Nice words easily said. But how to do it??
This wasn't ND, Baylor, Houston, Sj--it was Cinci---a win is a win BUT??????

Reaction Score
Interesting....:rolleyes::confused: Geno does what many on BY are calling for him to do... filtering in a couple bench players with Starters and as should be expected efficiency drops off a little bit...no surprise. BUT, these minutes are valuable to the Bench and the entire Team to build confidence and cohesiveness. ;)

I saw some solid improvement in this game from Houston and Baylor...and even Cal and Oklahoma... and I'm looking for More on Saturday and to come.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In the presser. Geno is telling it like it is regarding the bench!!!!
I hope other BYers are watching.
Yes, we are watching but let’s get to the fact that Geno recruited everyone one of these players for 2, 3 or 4 years and either he misread their skills or he needs to adjust his coaching. It’s one or the other with my view he needs to adjust his coaching.

Reaction Score
Yup, starting the game on a 17-0 run and never looking back certainly was not beautiful.:rolleyes:
But I will agree that when Geno did put the bench players in (as a ton of BYers want the G.O.A.T. to do), the complete flow of the game changed BUT if he doesn't do that, then they will never be a complete "well oiled machine ". I am still waiting for Molly to take the jump shot when she has it and I don't think that Liv committed a single foul.
Small steps...
Everyone on that bench and at time CW and MW need to take the open shot. Too many nice girls on this team--deferring to others. Shake that off--and be a BIT selfish,score when the opportunity is there. Slow down and play basketball as you learned it in 4th grade. If you didn't learn then--almost too late now.
Geno, does not have time or inclination to waste time teaching what you should have brought with you to a Div 1 championship team..
I am happy the bench got what they need PT. ONO needs more, so does Irwin.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Yes, we are watching but let’s get to the fact that Geno recruited everyone one of these players for 2, 3 or 4 years and either he misread their skills or he needs to adjust his coaching. It’s one or the other with my view he needs to adjust his coaching.
And I think every one of those players needs to do what they are taught in practice and step up their skills. Like Geno implied, he isn't expecting them to come in and take over a game or score a lot of points, he just wants them to do what is expected of them to do.

Reaction Score
The lack of ONO minutes is very worrisome. She must not be getting it in practice. This team needs her size come march.

I'll hold off judgement for a few more games...But, if this team doesn't develop a reliable 6th player, its as much on Geno's recruiting/coaching strategy than on the players themselves.

Reactions: MTC

Plebe

Reaction Score
The lack of ONO minutes is very worrisome. She must not be getting it in practice. This team needs her size come march.

I'll hold off judgement for a few more games...But, if this team doesn't develop a reliable 6th player, its as much on Geno's recruiting/coaching strategy than on the players themselves.
So generous of you to wait a few more games in early to mid-January before declaring the season a total loss.

Reaction Score
Interesting....:rolleyes::confused: Geno does what many on BY are calling for him to do... filtering in a couple bench players with Starters and as should be expected efficiency drops off a little bit...no surprise. BUT, these minutes are valuable to the Bench and the entire Team to build confidence and cohesiveness. ;)

I saw some solid improvement in this game from Houston and Baylor...and even Cal and Oklahoma... and I'm looking for More on Saturday and to come.
There were improvement--but Cinci isn't in the same speaking room as those others you mentioned--they are darn near a Div2 team. Nice things happened but nothing to compare to Baylor or ND or even Cal.

From listening to Geno after the game, I'm not sure he has confidence that will come: i.e 2 new starters (sure ) The bench didn't play much last year??? I'm sure there are Div 1 teams who have 2 new starters nearly every year--few have or had any comparable to CW or Walker. Confidence he says is within the player (I agree)
That is part of the recruiting process--if it's confidence you need it's confidence you recruit. He has spoken of the that lacking in Coombs, Molly, others no longer here. What is it that can be done now? He's the CEO, the main man, the person in charge.
He will change it or it won't be done.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Man Y’all can’t even enjoy a 46 Point Win? Your Team came off of struggling for a while and comes out hot and keeps it on and here Y’all are complaining about it. Just take a step back and enjoy it.
I thought it was a 44 point win so I can understand the complaining, we got cheated out of 2 points.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
So generous of you to wait a few more games in early to mid-January before declaring the season a total loss.
Swerve time (because the discussion is currently about ONO)...does Geno not endorse dunking. TV announcers have said (and it is well known) that she can dunk but has never tried in a game.
It was the same with Stewie. I watched a replay of a game in her sophomore year and Doris Burke and Dave O'Brien were discussing how easily she could dunk, yet I don't remember seeing it happen in a game...she came close a couple of times but didn't do it. So...?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Man Y’all can’t even enjoy a 46 Point Win? Your Team came off of struggling for a while and comes out hot and keeps it on and here Y’all are complaining about it. Just take a step back and enjoy it.
If it was a 46-point win, you might have a point. But it was only a 44-point win. MAJOR CONCERN.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Man this is a tough crowd. UConn wins by 44 pts and the doom and gloomers are still out in force.

I get that right now it looks like there’s a significant drop off after the starting 5, and the Huskies may be forced to depend on those 5 players all the way through the Big Dance without a lot of help.

If only there was some (recent) example we could look to where a team somehow managed to ride 5 players all the way to a championship.....:rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Swerve time (because the discussion is currently about ONO)...does Geno not endorse dunking. TV announcers have said (and it is well known) that she can dunk but has never tried in a game.
It was the same with Stewie. I watched a replay of a game in her sophomore year and Doris Burke and Dave O'Brien were discussing how easily she could dunk, yet I don't remember seeing it happen in a game...she came close a couple of times but didn't do it. So...?
Geno never encouraged or discouraged Stewie from dunking. He simply said, “If you can do it, then do it.” Stewie was always afraid she would miss and Geno hates missed layups.

As for Liv dunking, she needs to catch the ball in stride about 5 ft from the basket with no one in front of her. That means she needs an open lane to the basket and a teammate needs to set her up.

Reaction Score
Geno never encouraged or discouraged Stewie from dunking. He simply said, “If you can do it, then do it.” Stewie was always afraid she would miss and Geno hates missed layups.

As for Liv dunking, she needs to catch the ball in stride about 5 ft from the basket with no one in front of her. That means she needs an open lane to the basket and a teammate needs to set her up.
I’ve always wondered why the ones who can dunk don’t dunk in games. I think You’re right it probably comes down to confidence.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

I seem to remember Geno's guaranteeing Stewie would dunk in a game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom