Cincinnati basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cincinnati basketball

Reaction Score
Speaking of the beloved Am***can At***tic Conf***nce, just read that our favorite directional Florida school, USF, now has 5 players now in the transfer portal.

1616010972076.jpeg

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
He tries to dress it up with numbers but he basically says they are just a pretty good football conference that nobody in the country knows exists or respects...

Aresco declares American Conference is "at a crossroads"
I honestly just don’t see a scenario where that entire conference doesn’t dismantle in the next 5-10 years. Nothing about that conference makes any sense at all. Some of the individual schools have good programs in different sports, but the conference as a whole just makes no sense. And it doesn’t help that the fans and higher ups of the conference blindly defend it and act like they can just declare themselves a power conference and that’s it.

1616013910539.jpeg

Reaction Score
I personally take no pleasure in the trouble with Cincinnati and the AAC. The AAC IS pretty good at football, but the P5 and NCAA won’t let them get better/wealthier. Now some of that is just economics (if they had huge followings and success, the money (or invite) would be there), but the deck is stacked against them. It’s similar in basketball. A few of the schools care, but they are saddled with other conference-mates that don’t, and the aforementioned deck stacking against them.

Cincinnati, in my opinion, was always a forced rival. UConn and Cincinnati are very different institutions. But we were in a similar boat and I don’t take pleasure in them sucking. To be clear, I want them to be worse than us (and the AAC worse than the Big East), but I’d be fine with them succeeding.

Regarding the situation at hand, Brannen needs to get in front of this if he has any chance of surviving in the near and long term. I wouldn’t be surprised if Cincinnati is in a financial situation like UConn football with Diaco where they had to think outside the box (for better or worse) to come up with a way to get rid of him and afford a coach.

Reaction Score
I personally take no pleasure in the trouble with Cincinnati and the AAC. The AAC IS pretty good at football, but the P5 and NCAA won’t let them get better/wealthier. Now some of that is just economics (if they had huge followings and success, the money (or invite) would be there), but the deck is stacked against them. It’s similar in basketball. A few of the schools care, but they are saddled with other conference-mates that don’t, and the aforementioned deck stacking against them.

Cincinnati, in my opinion, was always a forced rival. UConn and Cincinnati are very different institutions. But we were in a similar boat and I don’t take pleasure in them sucking. To be clear, I want them to be worse than us (and the AAC worse than the Big East), but I’d be fine with them succeeding.

Regarding the situation at hand, Brannen needs to get in front of this if he has any chance of surviving in the near and long term. I wouldn’t be surprised if Cincinnati is in a financial situation like UConn football with Diaco where they had to think outside the box (for better or worse) to come up with a way to get rid of him and afford a coach.
I thought Cincy was more one of our peers than most of the other programs. Cincy, Temple, the Floridas. UConn was the only "Flagship" but all large state U's. It is a good football conference but I don't think it's a basketball conference Cincy and Temple should be in.

UConn was proactive in getting out of the AAC and some of the other programs may be forced to follow. At that point the AAC may have to consider keeping some football only programs.

Reaction Score
Maybe some of the UC football players will become two sport athletes.... oddly Connor Barwin did this when the basketball team was depleted in 05-06 and the student section was wild every time he came in a game

Reaction Score
i hate everyone and everything
Good to see you back, Kobe :) That avatar and "Expert in Round of 32 Flame outs" always makes me laugh, LOLOLOL.

My question to you: What the hell is going on over there in Cincinnati? Have you found out anything? They only have 4-5 players for next year and Brannen walking off like that at the end of the AAc final is a horrible look.

Reaction Score

None of the sources The Athletic spoke to went so far as to classify Brannen’s actions and demeanor as malicious or abusive, with one source describing Brannen as “a good man” who doesn’t know how to properly relate to his players. Some felt Brannen’s management approach was too rigid and antiquated, lacking flexibility and empathy in a season that needed it more than ever. Brannen built his coaching reputation in no small part on a relentless, almost maniacal work ethic and intensity. But at least for a notable portion of this particular team, that proved to be an untenable relationship.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It may be unpopular but I always liked Cincinnati before they were in our conference and I'm rooting for them afterwards.

Basketball-wise. And not to get a life raft before us (though they won't, I don't think).

Football team can lose forever IMO.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
AAC should be a football only conference.

Reaction Score
It may be unpopular but I always liked Cincinnati before they were in our conference and I'm rooting for them afterwards.

Basketball-wise. And not to get a life raft before us (though they won't, I don't think).

I never had any sports hatred towards Cincinnati. I always rooted for them in the NCAA tourney except in 2011 when they played UConn. I will say it was great though when to see UConn finally beat them last year in Gampel. I was at that game and it was Cumberland’s first and only loss to UConn.

Reaction Score

None of the sources The Athletic spoke to went so far as to classify Brannen’s actions and demeanor as malicious or abusive, with one source describing Brannen as “a good man” who doesn’t know how to properly relate to his players. Some felt Brannen’s management approach was too rigid and antiquated, lacking flexibility and empathy in a season that needed it more than ever. Brannen built his coaching reputation in no small part on a relentless, almost maniacal work ethic and intensity. But at least for a notable portion of this particular team, that proved to be an untenable relationship.
I feel like you can be a really high work ethic coach and still be personable (see Dan Hurley). But yeah he just seems like he is a very dry person. You can still be an intense coach and find ways to relate to your players. But if they feel like you are working them too hard and don’t really have a bond with you in any way, I can see how that might be an issue for kids.

Reaction Score

I always respected that they played hard-nosed but they turned every game into s^^tball. UConn always played hard-nosed but they could also play beautiful basketball, Cincinnati couldn't. Always rooted for them when they were in the Big East with us but hated that we were stuck with them in the Aresco A**clown Conference. We were always associated with them and it drove me nuts that some UConn fans made it out that the two bball programs were on equal footing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom