Christyn Williams's Final 2: UConn and SC | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams's Final 2: UConn and SC

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She definitely made an impact. But, if she can't close the deal, finishing second for a recruit is no different than finishing fifth.
Not really. Recruits have been know to change their minds and the NCAA allows for this thing called transfer. If Texas had finished 5th in the C. Collier sweepstakes she would be suiting up for the Longhorns next season.

Reaction Score
If you are truly appreciative like you say you are I need you to come a little stronger than this.
UCONN MOV over SC with Breanna Stewart in 2016=11 Points
UCONN MOV over SC without Breanna Stewart in 2017=11 Points
If Breanna Stewart is supposed to be a transcendent player (clearly she is) and KLS something less than that I would have expected that SC to shrink the UCONN MOV. Mississippi St. really really shrunk (erased) the gap so why couldn't SC if UCONN was supposed to be so "vulnerable"?
Nice retort, but SC played UConn in Stoors, with a much different look. Miss. St played the on a neutral court, and with probably more of a home atmosphere. Heck they even probably had more fans for the National Championship game than SC. Perfect storm. We at SC even felt it would be hard to beat UConn at their house, but it would give us a good gauge for a later neutral site game. Problem is that UConn didn't hold up their end of the bargain.

Reaction Score
Nice retort, but SC played UConn in Stoors, with a much different look. Miss. St played the on a neutral court, and with probably more of a home atmosphere. Heck they even probably had more fans for the National Championship game than SC. Perfect storm. We at SC even felt it would be hard to beat UConn at their house, but it would give us a good gauge for a later neutral site game. Problem is that UConn didn't hold up their end of the bargain.

SC was just a really bad matchup for Mississippi State all year. SC guards were bigger and more physical and still pretty athletic and quick. MSU ballhandling guards (especially Morgan William, the spark plug of the team) were smaller and got overpowered. UConn would've had no such problem.

Reaction Score
Fair enough, we didn't keep our part of the bargain. I think we might this year AND perhaps then some!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Yes, it did give them that one, there's 10 more to bag that one up! & I'm pretty sure that UConn would've contested Baylor well had they played because there wasn't much gap between UConn & Baylor that year. Baylor only had Sims and Griner; everyone else was ineffective. UConn had Dolson, Faris, Hartley, Mosqueda-Lewis, Stewart, who by the way was new and improved by the time the NCAAs rolled around. So that game could've went either way. Whereas, had UConn played South Carolina 10/10 UConn would've beat them every single time and you would not be Nat'l champions and Mississipi State as well! Simply because of the fact that UConn's guards are a lot smarter, stronger, and consistent - they would win every game against S. Carolina. To say Dawn is one of the best guards in the history of the game, she doesn't do a really good job with guard play at all. All of her teams have been post first with very stagnant guard play. With that being said - Defend your championship! We don't have anything to lose this year!
Unfortunately, you’re right on all fronts... as much as it pains me to agree. SC has gotten a lot of players that fit our system and needs.. but we’ve missed on far too many elite (top 15ish) players in the 2015/2016/2017 classes.. that’s why the 2018 and 2019 classes are make or break for SC. It was pretty upsetting to see us barely miss on elite prospects like Smith and DeCosta.. and I fear it could happen again with Williams and Nelson-Ododa.

And you’re right with Baylor and Texas... they’ve recruited extremely well. That’s why it’s hard for me to imagine UConn just clean sweeping their way to another 4 championships. Sure, Geno is there and he has great talent on campus.. but programs across the board are elevating their rosters (FSU is another) and it’s just not going to be as easy as some people here think it’ll be. If Aston and Mulkey can get the most out of what they have then they’ll be UConn’s most worthy opponents these next few seasons..
You
she hasn't made official visits to Duke or Georgia as far as I know....not sure if or when that's happening..
CW will not shy from competition.
o
How easily they forget.

Reaction Score
SC was just a really bad matchup for Mississippi State all year. SC guards were bigger and more physical and still pretty athletic and quick. MSU ballhandling guards (especially Morgan William, the spark plug of the team) were smaller and got overpowered. UConn would've had no such problem.
Yes, true, but the biggest problem UConn seemed to have in that semifinal game was that they had no one to take their person off the dribble and without Katie Lou's shooting from earlier in the year, they struggled with the physicality of Miss. St. They uglied (I know spelling) up game by disrupting the motion, therefore keeping UConn at bay. Also, surprisingly, UConn's defense had trouble with Miss. St allowing them to score easily. South Carolina's on the other had did to Miss. St what they did to UConn. The much aligned Cuevas-Moore,(by boneyarder's opinion) put so much pressure on Morgan Williams that she cracked. Dawn always keeps a multiple big guard defenders to handle a Vivians. UConn had to shoot well to win, and unfortunately they were struggling in that department because of the pressure defense. South Carolina was capable of bringing the same pressure with better athletes again on that Neutral court. Geno stated earlier in the year, that they were vulnerable, and though he probable didn't expect to lose, he was right. The erasers of mistakes that UConn usually has in forms of talent were not there last year so every game needed a great effort.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Not really. Recruits have been know to change their minds and the NCAA allows for this thing called transfer. If Texas had finished 5th in the C. Collier sweepstakes she would be suiting up for the Longhorns next season.
I wasn't talking about transfers.

I am talking about when a recruit announces their decision and signs their LOI. At that moment, doesn't matter who finished second or fifth. Down the road, if a player decides to transfer, that's a completely different set of circumstances.

Reaction Score
Fair enough, we didn't keep our part of the bargain. I think we might this year AND perhaps then some!
Well as you all always say when you have won a championship, WE WILL SEE. Now this thing about beating everyone by 30, I have to see it to believe it and I am not talking about Tulane, and East Carolina

Reaction Score
Yes, true, but the biggest problem UConn seemed to have in that semifinal game was that they had no one to take their person off the dribble and without Katie Lou's shooting from earlier in the year, they struggled with the physicality of Miss. St. They uglied (I know spelling) up game by disrupting the motion, therefore keeping UConn at bay. Also, surprisingly, UConn's defense had trouble with Miss. St allowing them to score easily. South Carolina's on the other had did to Miss. St what they did to UConn. The much aligned Cuevas-Moore,(by boneyarder's opinion) put so much pressure on Morgan Williams that she cracked. Dawn always keeps a multiple big guard defenders to handle a Vivians. UConn had to shoot well to win, and unfortunately they were struggling in that department because of the pressure defense. South Carolina was capable of bringing the same pressure with better athletes again on that Neutral court. Geno stated earlier in the year, that they were vulnerable, and though he probable didn't expect to lose, he was right. The erasers of mistakes that UConn usually has in forms of talent were not there last year so every game needed a great effort.

I'd take last season's UConn starting five over any team in the nation..........the problem was that they had very little bench depth and the players were forced to limit their aggression on defense for fear of getting in foul trouble............I would predict that this year's team will yield 5-6 fewer points per game just based on more athleticism off of a longer bench.............

Reaction Score
Well as you all always say when you have won a championship, WE WILL SEE. Now this thing about beating everyone by 30, I have to see it to believe it and I am not talking about Tulane, and East Carolina

Personally I don't like these 30+ point win predictions and I could see why outsiders would find that to be a bit over the top...........I don't care how much they win by, I just want them to play good basketball on a consistent basis..............do that and the rest will take care of itself..........

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Personally I don't like these 30+ point win predictions and I could see why outsiders would find that to be a bit over the top......I don't care how much they win by, I just want them to play good basketball on a consistent basis....do that and the rest will take care of itself.....
I agree with you in general, but it IS a way to quantify "how much better is team A than team B".

I don't think UCONN wins every game by 30 points this year. I DO expect UCONN to win it all - I'd be very surprised and disappointed if they did not. At this juncture, I do believe the biggest competition would come from Texas and Baylor. I do believe that against SC, we should win comfortably by 15-20.

Having said all that, it's WHY you play the games, right? UCONN "should" have beaten MSU. A few years back, Baylor "should" have beaten Louisville. But upsets happen, and for fans of the underdogs, it's part of the fun of WCBB...

Reaction Score
This happens all the time. UConn goes entire seasons winning by an average of 30-something points. You don't have to go back very far to see UConn winning a national championship game by 30. It really doesn't matter which Carolina it is - the game plan and result are usually the same.

Reaction Score
Is this thread the dawning of a heated rivalry? If so, I'm all for it. Unless you guys start wearing orange overalls and chewing tobacco, you won't replace Clemson in our hearts as the most hated team, however.
Well, it’s hard to hate you when you haven’t ever beat us. C’mon - get with the program!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Come on, now you are just contradicting yourself. You and I know both know, that for some team, other than UCONN to win a national championship, that team is going to have to get lucky. Although I suppose Geno could just retire and level the playing field. Head bang

That day can't be more than a few years off; I don't expect him to be the next Joe Paterno.

JS

Reaction Score
Unless you guys start wearing orange overalls and chewing tobacco, you won't replace Clemson in our hearts as the most hated team
Clemson? For a second I thought you were talking about
somebody really detestable . . .
5lwV9e0.jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Seems more like Milford is offering an opinion than facts to me.
I think it was Sluconn. I agree that it was an opinion, but one I share. I think UConn was the best team last year. I think Baylor may have been better than us at the end of 2013, but the gap was small. Once Stewie turned the corner in March, we were a different team.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Clemson? For a second I thought you were talking about
somebody really detestable . . .
5lwV9e0.jpg

LOL, I posted that picture on Facebook after we beat them in football a week ago Saturday. The Fighting Creamsicles are pretty detestable, but nobody is as bad as that team in the SC Upstate.

I also have this version:

1917022_165462172350_7975_n.jpg

Reaction Score

I think it is very difficult to steal a top 5 choice from the Olympic coach. Everyone wants to play in the Olympics, and the probability of a "wink and nod" quid pro quo signing is overwhelming. Look who played in the games for Geno.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think it is very difficult to steal a top 5 choice from the Olympic coach. Everyone wants to play in the Olympics, and the probability of a "wink and nod" quid pro quo signing is overwhelming. Look who played in the games for Geno.
The players that played in the Olympics for Geno would have played in the Olympics regardless of who the coach was. Both Geno and Dawn are well above "wink and nod" quid pro " to get any recruit to sign -probability =ZERO.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The players that played in the Olympics for Geno would have played in the Olympics regardless of who the coach was. Both Geno and Dawn are well above "wink and nod" quid pro " to get any recruit to sign -probability =ZERO.
Agreed. A HS senior is a long ways from the USA Olympic team. Dawn may not even be USA coach when CW will looking to make a team (2024/2028). Geno is the first coach to go 2 cycles, and he had to be coaxed back to do the second one. No guarantee Staley will want two cycles. Takes a lot away from their college team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We at SC even felt it would be hard to beat UConn at their house, but it would give us a good gauge for a later neutral site game. Problem is that UConn didn't hold up their end of the bargain.
Seriously? You mean to tell me some SC fans actually walked away from the game at UCONN saying "can't wait until we get UCONN on a neutral floor".
I think Roscoe ( A'ja's father) said something similar first time SC came to Storrs: "Can't wait until next year when UCONN has to come to Columbia". Be careful what you wish for!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom