Christyn Williams watch intensifies (new ESPNW article) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams watch intensifies (new ESPNW article)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
So just maybe Mr. Appel didn't actually "slip" when he visited UCONN?
FOTFLOL. Double like you dog. Maybe Appel was pushed by a closing Gates.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Texas already has three top 100 recruits for next year. If Williams goes to UConn she might be a class of one. Wonder how that situation impacts her decision making process. Is possibly being the only one a negative or a positive? Or neither?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Texas already has three top 100 recruits for next year. If Williams goes to UConn she might be a class of one. Wonder how that situation impacts her decision making process. Is possibly being the only one a negative or a positive? Or neither?

There are certain duties the freshmen class must perform, carrying Kia's Skittles onto the bus and such. Nice to have company with such onerous chores.

Reaction Score
@Jimbo posted this quick video a while back.

She seems emotionally connected to me. She also called Geno one of the funny people she ever met. One of the very first article ever written about her stated that she demands that her coaches tell her how to get better.

that picture was taken a long, long time ago in recruiting days...........at that time I figured her as a strong UConn lean if not a lock but her eyes have been opened to other possibilities since then.........hopefully those good feelings will be rekindled if she makes it to Storrs next weekend

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The more I read about how "well" her visits to other campuses went, and how much she wants to play with other players, it gives me pause for concern. Yes, early on, she was considered by some recruiting "experts" to be a UConn lean. Even though UConn will be the last campus she'll visit, I'm not so sure she hasn't already made up her mind as to where she wants to "plant her flag" the next four years.

She's keeping her feelings and expectations about her last two visits close to the vest, but I just have a gut feeling that the choice has already been made, and she's just playing out the string. Do you really think UConn be her final choice? Personally, I would be shocked if Williams picks UConn.

Geno continues to be successful in recruiting top 5 guards and forwards. Why has he had such a problem (lately) with recruiting quality/dominant posts? Dolson was the last quality big he recruited, but he had to mold/coach her into the dominant post player she became. She was not considered one of the best or coveted bigs in her high school class. The last two post players with real size (Butler & Stevens) came via transfer, and had to sit out a full season before they could play.

There wasn't the competition among the top 10 programs for Dolson's services like there was for Collier, or there is for ONO and the other highly rated bigs. UConn is and remains the hallmark of WCBB. One would think post players across the country (including Texas) would be lining up to join that program, but they're not. Why not? What's going on here? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno continues to be successful in recruiting top 5 guards and forwards. Why has he had such a problem (lately) with recruiting quality/dominant posts? Dolson was the last quality big he recruited, but he had to mold/coach her into the dominant post player she became. She was not considered one of the best or coveted bigs in her high school class. The last two post players with real size (Butler & Stevens) came via transfer, and had to sit out a full season before they could play.

There wasn't the competition among the top 10 programs for Dolson's services like there was for Collier, or there is for ONO. UConn is and remains the hallmark of WCBB. One would think post players across the country (including Texas) would be lining up to join that program, but they're not. Why not? What's going on here? :confused:
Theory 1: Post player take longer to develop. This generation of players (starting with the class of 2013) want instant gratification=transfers rates are way up. UCONN is a special place, would rather they not come, especially if they are not willing to put in the work. @Tonyc says UCONN will be alright and I believe him.
Theory 2: Back to the basket post player (Not that Dolson was) have gone the way of the dinosaur.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Theory 1: Post player take longer to develop. This generation of players (starting with the class of 2013) want instant gratification=transfers rates way are up. UCONN is a special place, would rather they not come, especially if they are not willing to put in the work. @Tonyc says UCONN will be alright and I believe him.
Theory 2: Back to the basket post player (Not that Dolson was) have gone the way of the dinosaur.

Coco: Going to add a theory or two to what you have.
Theory 3: The tall(er) kids that are able to want to be able to do it all, from attacking the rim on drives and hitting intermediate jumpers from the elbow to doing shifts in the lane to stretching out to the three-point line. MM made this point a few years back.
You look at descriptions of players like Emily Engstler or Faith Masonius, where they're described as everything from wings to posts. Depending on the offense they play, they probably have the skill sets to do just that, although in ball-control and movement offenses like UConn and ND, they're best situated at the 4. This leads me to the next theory....
Theory 4: Great ball control offenses are generally using three guards/ two guards and a wing (small forward?) and a forward (who could be a stretch 4 or hybrid) and one low-post player. And the demands on those low-post players are considerable: anchor the defense; rebound; outlet passes; be able to pass; and, be a cog in the motion offense. Yes, Brianna Turner does not have much of a mid-range jumper, but she supplies most of the attributes of today's modern 5 and also runs the floor well.
Theory 5: There just are not that many of these players around, at least who play in the systems I just described. Geno and MM know exactly what they're looking for and they'll take a player who might not be as highly rated. In the case of the Irish this fall, they're hoping Mikki Vaughn will demonstrate Turner-like abilities, because she's the 5. Danielle Patterson is supposed be like an Erica Haney (remember her?), who combined rebounding and some agility to play a hybrid-forward position. And in 2018, they're bringing in Danielle Cosgrove, who they're hoping might be a Westbeld with a bit more height and range.

And if you can't find a "4," you play up an athletic "3," which can work until you run into a team that throws a very legitimate 4 and 4 at a team.

Me thinks the competition for these adept 5's is going to be intense beyond belief (Hello, Miss Boston and Watson), as well as for the 4s, whether they be stretch or hybrids. 2019 recruiting will be intense for the Irish because chances are they'll only have Turner and Shepard for the 18-19 season. And it will be critical for the Huskies, too.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
She's keeping her feelings and expectations about her last two visits close to the vest, but I just have a gut feeling that the choice has already been made, and she's just playing out the string. Do you really think UConn be her final choice? Personally, I would be shocked if Williams picks UConn.

It would be classless of her to make the UConn staff run through hoops for her visit if she's already made her mind up to go elsewhere. If that's the case, do the right thing and cancel the visit.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It would be classless of her to make the UConn staff run through hoops for her visit if she's already made her mind up to go elsewhere. If that's the case, do the right thing and cancel the visit.

I don't think we have to worry about the UConn staff and players being overtaxed rolling out the welcome wagon. I am sure this is a very efficient process like everything else associated with UConn. Even if a recruit thinks she may have decided, something can always click. In any case, we should always be happy to show off what we have under any circumstances. :D

Reaction Score
Theory 3: The tall(er) kids that are able to want to be able to do it all, from attacking the rim on drives and hitting intermediate jumpers from the elbow to doing shifts in the lane to stretching out to the three-point line. MM made this point a few years back.
Me thinks the competition for these adept 5's is going to be intense beyond belief (Hello, Miss Boston and Watson), as well as for the 4s, whether they be stretch or hybrids. 2019 recruiting will be intense for the Irish because chances are they'll only have Turner and Shepard for the 18-19 season. And it will be critical for the Huskies, too.

UConn certainly has the geographic recruiting advantage with Watson and Boston.............if those two both leave for South Carolina, Baylor or even ND then Geno and company will have some thinking to do...................

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
No, it wouldn't be. She is allowed 5 official visits. All coaching staffs in all sports understand recruiting and they know what's involved when it comes to spending time, effort, and money in trying to show recruit why their school is the best choice.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
UConn certainly has the geographic recruiting advantage with Watson and Boston...if those two both leave for South Carolina, Baylor or even ND then Geno and company will have some thinking to do....

Geography can certainly be a factor, as could be (should be?) the coaching staff expertise and system/style of play.
Geography can come into play if a young woman wants to stay reasonably close to home and it may have resulted in a familiarity with schools that are a bit closer. However, modern media has probably leveled that playing field a bit.
But as we're all finding out, there are all sorts of priorities and expectations that seem to lurk under the surface: including parental expectations, influence of AAU coaches/programs and lifestyle, to name but just three.

To your point, Boston's Worcester base is certainly close enough and Watson's southern NJ base isn't too far away, either.
Should be interesting (and possibly intense).

Reaction Score
The more I read about how "well" her visits to other campuses went, and how much she wants to play with other players, it gives me pause for concern. Yes, early on, she was considered by some recruiting "experts" to be a UConn lean. Even though UConn will be the last campus she'll visit, I'm not so sure she hasn't already made up her mind as to where she wants to "plant her flag" the next four years.

There wasn't the competition among the top 10 programs for Dolson's services like there was for Collier, or there is for ONO and the other highly rated bigs. UConn is and remains the hallmark of WCBB. One would think post players across the country (including Texas) would be lining up to join that program, but they're not. Why not? What's going on here? :confused:
I think that UConn is very much in the mix for Williams. My shock would be from if she didn't choose either UConn or Texas. The one thing that may veer her away from TX would be the loaded roster that they'll have but who knows. Though she has friends @ TX she also has friends with a few at UConn I think it's a genuine toss-up and that she's using her visit to UConn to give her all of the information needed to make the right choice for her career (college and pro).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No, it wouldn't be. She is allowed 5 official visits. All coaching staffs in all sports understand recruiting and they know what's involved when it comes to spending time, effort, and money in trying to show recruit why their school is the best choice.
Additionally and perhaps more importantly, no school is obligated to provide an official visit.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I think that UConn is very much in the mix for Williams. My shock would be from if she didn't choose either UConn or Texas. The one thing that may veer her away from TX would be the loaded roster that they'll have but who knows.
That's what I think about the loaded SG/SFs at UConn. But, I thought the same thing regarding Megan Walker

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think that UConn is very much in the mix for Williams. My shock would be from if she didn't choose either UConn or Texas. The one thing that may veer her away from TX would be the loaded roster that they'll have but who knows. Though she has friends @ TX she also has friends with a few at UConn I think it's a genuine toss-up and that she's using her visit to UConn to give her all of the information needed to make the right choice for her career (college and pro).
I like our chances. I think it's UConn, Texas, or SC. I don't see UCLA or Tennessee having a real chance.

Reaction Score
Do you believe UCONN's chances to land Williams were irreparably damaged by Collier;s decommitment? Clearly UCONN has no big post player to go with Williams guard play after her freshman year.

I hadn't thought of that. They might even end up with a last second loss like they had last season when people wondered how they could play without a traditional post player. Better to go with a school that has a tall player in the lineup because that will ensure an undefeated season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I hadn't thought of that. They might even end up with a last second loss like they had last season when people wondered how they could play without a traditional post player. Better to go with a school that has a tall player in the lineup because that will ensure an undefeated season.
Wait, a tall player in your lineup "ensures" an undefeated season?
Could you please run that by someone, anyone?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I really hope Williams picks uconn, it's been a long time since there has been a highly rated shooting guard in Storrs, unless you count Lou.
I MOST DEFINITELY COUNT KLS AS A SHOOTING GUARD!!! So yes, it's been awhile...2 years :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
@Jimbo posted this quick video a while back.

She seems emotionally connected to me. She also called Geno one of the funny people she ever met. One of the very first article ever written about her stated that she demands that her coaches tell her how to get better.

"Funny people"? How's he funny? Funny how? Funny like a clown? How's he funny. Does he amuse you? Tell me?

Sorry Coco, I just had to pull a Pesce here...:D

Reaction Score
Williams stated she will announce her choice on the 10th. I wonder if it is just a coincidence that her friend DeCosta also will announce her choice on the 10th. The question would then be which school is on both of their lists.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Williams stated she will announce her choice on the 10th. I wonder if it is just a coincidence that her friend DeCosta also will announce her choice on the 10th. The question would then be which school is on both of their lists.

DeCosta is announcing on October 10th, Williams on November 10th.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
You look at descriptions of players like Emily Engstler or Faith Masonius, where they're described as everything from wings to posts. Depending on the offense they play, they probably have the skill sets to do just that, although in ball-control and movement offenses like UConn and ND, they're best situated at the 4. This leads me to the next theory....
Theory 4: Great ball control offenses are generally using three guards/ two guards and a wing (small forward?) and a forward (who could be a stretch 4 or hybrid) and one low-post player. And the demands on those low-post players are considerable: anchor the defense; rebound; outlet passes; be able to pass; and, be a cog in the motion offense. Yes, Brianna Turner does not have much of a mid-range jumper, but she supplies most of the attributes of today's modern 5 and also runs the floor well.
Theory 5: There just are not that many of these players around, at least who play in the systems I just described. Geno and MM know exactly what they're looking for and they'll take a player who might not be as highly rated. In the case of the Irish this fall, they're hoping Mikki Vaughn will demonstrate Turner-like abilities, because she's the 5. Danielle Patterson is supposed be like an Erica Haney (remember her?), who combined rebounding and some agility to play a hybrid-forward position. And in 2018, they're bringing in Danielle Cosgrove, who they're hoping might be a Westbeld with a bit more height and range.

And if you can't find a "4," you play up an athletic "3," which can work until you run into a team that throws a very legitimate 4 and 4 at a team.

It won't go unnoticed on these pages that you've compared a coach who's won one national championship in 35 years with one who's won 11 in the last 22 years. Tsk, tsk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom