Christyn Williams watch intensifies (new ESPNW article) | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams watch intensifies (new ESPNW article)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Top prospect Christyn Williams lifts the curtain on her final days on the recruiting trail

upload_2017-10-5_10-50-38.png

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
There is a lot of interest in where she will play.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Wait, what?

Texas coaches, it seems, canceled a home visit the day before they were supposed to arrive. But the Longhorns players provided a strong pull.

"I thought that was so unprofessional," Williams said. "But then after playing with Joyner Holmes and Alecia Sutton on Team USA U19 in July, I decided to add Texas back. I loved playing with [Holmes and Sutton], and Coach Karen [Aston] apologized. It was just a big misunderstanding."

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Wait, What? Part 2:
"Her reasons for removing South Carolina were not as specific. But there were a couple of reasons -- a player and a coach -- that the Gamecocks found their way back on.

"After playing with Tyasha Harris, it kind of changed my mind a little bit," she said.

"Williams said her relationship with South Carolina assistant Jolette Law, who joined the Gamecocks' staff from Tennessee in June, also made her reconsider.

"Coach Law had been recruiting me at Tennessee," Williams said. "I love her. We have a close relationship. She basically just continued recruiting me but at South Carolina instead of Tennessee. ... I gave South Carolina the benefit of the doubt and gave them a home visit. I ended up liking them enough to take an official."

Just wondering, if she "loves" Coach Law, who is now at South Carolina, what was the reason to continue with Tennessee? :confused: :rolleyes:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Wait, What? Part 2:
"Her reasons for removing South Carolina were not as specific. But there were a couple of reasons -- a player and a coach -- that the Gamecocks found their way back on.

"After playing with Tyasha Harris, it kind of changed my mind a little bit," she said.

"Williams said her relationship with South Carolina assistant Jolette Law, who joined the Gamecocks' staff from Tennessee in June, also made her reconsider.

"Coach Law had been recruiting me at Tennessee," Williams said. "I love her. We have a close relationship. She basically just continued recruiting me but at South Carolina instead of Tennessee. ... I gave South Carolina the benefit of the doubt and gave them a home visit. I ended up liking them enough to take an official."

Just wondering, if she "loves" Coach Law, who is now at South Carolina, what was the reason to continue with Tennessee? :confused: :rolleyes:
I think it's based on the school. When Law was at Tennessee. She was the main recruiter on Westbrook. Law leaving didn't change the decision by Westbrook.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The most interesting thing I learned from the article is that Christyn's father is named Sherman Williams. But he's not involved in the college selection process. Probably doesn't want to paint her into a corner. ;)
The article was a good primer into the Christyn Williams sweepstakes, and I don't like to broad brush high school kids, but from what I know of this one, I see her in shades of flag blue come signing day.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The most interesting thing I learned from the article is that Christyn's father is named Sherman Williams. But he's not involved in the college selection process. Probably doesn't want to paint her into a corner. ;)
The article was a good primer into the Christyn Williams sweepstakes, and I don't like to broad brush high school kids, but from what I know of this one, I see her in shades of flag blue come signing day.
No y'all didn't. Yes, y'all did. I don't want to whitewash these remarks, but they could use a bit of a thinner. Remarks coming so thick I'll need an extra coat. And a hat.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think it is kind of her not brush off Texas after the scheduling goof. Probably doesn't want to leave a stain on their record.

Reaction Score
I see Texas is trying to put a shiny varnish on their prior faux pas but Geno will be real glossy-eyed if Christyn picks Uconn.I am dye-ing to know myself.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Christyn’s mother’s accident remind me of Jayne Appel’s father. He slipped on ice while visiting UConn and broke his leg. Apparently accidents can happen even in sunny Santa Monica.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Williams might have better opportunity for playing time and to take on a major role early on at UCONN over Texas. At Texas, her freshman year she'll have to share time with Higgs, Patterson, and Sutton...all players who were top 10 recruits. At UCONN, she'd have to beat out Coombs, Espinoza-Hunter and Gordon to play with Walker/Dangerfield.

UCONN would be fine without her, but adding her would mean having 2 #1 overall recruits on the team which historically puts the odds greatly in UCONN's favor to win it all:
Teams with 2 HS POYs:
95-Sales and Lobo (title)
97-Ralph and Sales (no title)
99-Ralph and Williams (no title)
00-Ralph and Williams (title)
01-Ralph, Williams and Taurasi (no title)
02-Taurasi and Williams (title)
03-Taurasi and Strother (title)
04-Taurasi and Strother (title)
08-Moore and Charles (no title)
09-Moore and Charles (title)
10-Moore and Charles (title)
13-KML and Stewart (title)
14-KML and Stewart (title)
15-KML and Stewart (title)
16-Stewart and KLS (title)

Overall 11/15

In the years where they didn't have 2 HS POYs, (96, 98, 05, 06, 07, 11, 12, 17) they came up short (0-8).

Fortunately for you guys, you'll have 2 more years with Walker/KLS, which means you just need to nab Williams or Brunelle to continue having 2 POYs on the team year in and year out.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Williams might have better opportunity for playing time and to take on a major role early on at UCONN over Texas. At Texas, her freshman year she'll have to share time with Higgs, Patterson, and Sutton...all players who were top 10 recruits. At UCONN, she'd have to beat out Coombs, Espinoza-Hunter and Gordon to play with Walker/Dangerfield.

UCONN would be fine without her, but adding her would mean having 2 #1 overall recruits on the team which historically puts the odds greatly in UCONN's favor to win it all:
Teams with 2 HS POYs:
95-Sales and Lobo (title)
97-Ralph and Sales (no title)
99-Ralph and Williams (no title)
00-Ralph and Williams (title)
01-Ralph, Williams and Taurasi (no title)
02-Taurasi and Williams (title)
03-Taurasi and Strother (title)
04-Taurasi and Strother (title)
08-Moore and Charles (no title)
09-Moore and Charles (title)
10-Moore and Charles (title)
13-KML and Stewart (title)
14-KML and Stewart (title)
15-KML and Stewart (title)
16-Stewart and KLS (title)

Overall 11/15

In the years where they didn't have 2 HS POYs, (96, 98, 05, 06, 07, 11, 12, 17) they came up short (0-8).

Fortunately for you guys, you'll have 2 more years with Walker/KLS, which means you just need to nab Williams or Brunelle to continue having 2 POYs on the team year in and year out.

Great post here. I am truly amazed at your data-assembly abilities.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
That was my argument last year as to why Megan Walker should have chosen Texas over UConn; she'd have been an instant starter at Texas at small forward her first season, but at UConn she'll have to get in line with seasoned veterans ahead of her on the depth chart, and a few similar players in UConn's 2017 signing class.

But, she didn't listen to me . . .

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wait, What? Part 2:

Coach Law went to Tennessee from Rutgers. She's a heckuva recruiter. I'm not sure what game-day skills she has but, boy, great recruiter.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
If Christyn truly is 5'11, then I'd assume she could play either SG or SF in college. Doesn't seem like she's been playing any PG.

At Texas, 5'5 Chasity Patterson (great shooter) and 5'7 Alecia Sutton are set to play at the point. 5'9 Lashann Higgs (current junior) and 5'9 Destiny Littleton (current freshman) are shooting guards; Lashann's strengths are her speed and slashing ability, but not really known as a good shooter. Littleton is a phenomenal shooter from long range and very strong physically that she has no problem driving to the basket in traffic.

Texas loses starting SG/SF 5'11 Ariel Atkins after this season. I think she shifts over to SF this season after mainly playing SG her first three seasons; my rationale is that Texas has no one else with size and shooting to play at the SF spot. I think Christyn Williams could step right in for her next season as she will be Texas' biggest/tallest guard. Even if Christyn is set on playing SG, she's been beating out players older than her for spots on USA basketball the last couple of years; I don't think she fears competition at any college campus.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coach Law went to Tennessee from Rutgers. She's a heckuva recruiter. I'm not sure what game-day skills she has but, boy, great recruiter.
Judging form her time as HC at Illinois game day and X & O seems to be lacking. Coach Law went 69-93 overall and 27-59 in the Big Ten and reached the WNIT twice in five years at Illinois.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think that is her strength.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I see Texas is trying to put a shiny varnish on their prior faux pas but Geno will be real glossy-eyed if Christyn picks Uconn.I am dye-ing to know myself.
I think it is kind of her not brush off Texas after the scheduling goof. Probably doesn't want to leave a stain on their record.
O-w-w-w! Uncle!

JordyG

Reaction Score
That was my argument last year as to why Megan Walker should have chosen Texas over UConn; she'd have been an instant starter at Texas at small forward her first season, but at UConn she'll have to get in line with seasoned veterans ahead of her on the depth chart, and a few similar players in UConn's 2017 signing class.

But, she didn't listen to me . . .
Yeah. Well, just ask Saniya Chong and Kia Stokes about not starting. Better, perhaps Christyn should ask.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
If Christyn does wind up in chilly Storrs, her father is advising her to get a second coat.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Do you believe UCONN's chances to land Williams were irreparably damaged by Collier;s decommitment? Clearly UCONN has no big post player to go with Williams guard play after her freshman year.
No, I think that Charli’s decommit had a slightly negative impact on us getting Christyn. It might have made Christyn think harder about staying closer to home, and it may have made her want to follow Charli to Texas. But Christyn is also friends with Crystal, Megan, and Lexi. I don’t think Charli’s decision put UConn in a negative light at all.

I think Charli’s decision may have slightly increased our chances with Olivia or Eziyoda.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom