Christmas dinner menu? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Christmas dinner menu?

Reaction Score
I love pickled hearing. I still make it like my mom and grandma did. What I miss is the smoked eel my grandmother would get in Woodhaven, Queens. When I started dating my wife my mom added peel n eat jumbo shrimp to the Xmas eve meal to go along with "fishy fish". LoL.
How about this one? When my mom was a kid, her parents would buy live carp and keep them in the bathtub for a day before killing them and cooking them. LOL

Reaction Score
How about this one? When my mom was a kid, her parents would buy live carp and keep them in the bathtub for a day before killing them and cooking them. LOL
Grew up w/ Gram rehydrating/trickle draining the salt off the bacala in a plastic tub in the bathtub for the week before Christmas.

Reaction Score
Visiting in-laws who grew up on North Dakota farms, so they continue the traditions from their childhood where money was especially tight:

Xmas eve: Dips, crackers, cheese, meats
Christmas: burgers

Reaction Score
Visiting in-laws who grew up on North Dakota farms, so they continue the traditions from their childhood where money was especially tight:

Xmas eve: Dips, crackers, cheese, meats
Christmas: burgers
With all the prep and stuff that goes into Christmas Eve with fish in my family.. honestly, a burger on Christmas sounds pretty great. More time to sit and just chat and spend time with family.

Reaction Score
We took over the Wigilia (Christmas Eve dinner) from my mom 15 years ago. This year my nephew and his wife took over. Let’s see how it goes

Reaction Score
Doing the Christmas Eve dinner meatless-
Wine
Homemade bread with butter, eat with one clove raw garlic
Squash soup
Pierogi with sour cream
Baked fish with anchovy caper sauce
Either braised cabbage or kapusta (haven't made it yet)
Asparagus
Apple galette
Cranberry tart
Decaf coffee and eggnog

Christmas itself just turkey, stuffing, gravy, candied yams, mashed potatoes, roasted beet/goat cheese salad, roasted brussel sprouts, wine, eggnog, Hallmark movies

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Standing rib roast
Roasted red, white and ube potatoes
Yorkshire pudding
Broccoli

Some type of meat and cheese board and Cajun steamed shrimp for appetizers.

Lots of bourbon

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
Just the two us this year. Roasted turkey breast, squash casserole, smashed potatoes, hot curried fruit. Appetizer before will be a baked brie with fig jam and a Pinot Grigio.

Reaction Score
With all the prep and stuff that goes into Christmas Eve with fish in my family.. honestly, a burger on Christmas sounds pretty great. More time to sit and just chat and spend time with family.
It’s great, except my vegan/anorexic sister-in-law damper the food experience for everyone, so I counterbalance it out by overeating to make a point.

Reaction Score
Italian Christmas Eve — shrimp cocktail, followed by linguine with clams, scallops and calamari. Third course of fried baccala, whiting, and smelt with baked stuffed shrimp. This is year 20 for me. Took over after my grandfather passed away.

Christmas Day we head to in-laws for ham or turkey or something like that. They can’t cook to save their lives, unless it’s Lebanese food.
I miss the feast of seven fishes dinners. Haven't had it in years since prior generations have passed. Our Christmas Eve was similar to yours.

Reaction Score
I miss the feast of seven fishes dinners. Haven't had it in years since prior generations have passed. Our Christmas Eve was similar to yours.
Bring it back. It might be tough the first year or two but your family will appreciate it. I brought my family’s Christmas Eve back and it’s better than ever. Do it.

Reaction Score
Daughter is hosting both Christmas Eve (my family) & Christmas Day (Wife's family & Son-In-Law's family)
Christmas Eve is traditional Polish (Wiglia) fare:
-3 varieties of pierogi (farmers cheese, sauerkraut, Cheddar & Potato)
-pickled herring
-rye bread
-lavish charcouterie board
-homemade Polish Babka
-assorted veggie sides
-a fish dish
-abundant desserts (holiday cookies, cakes etc.)

Christmas day
-Black Angus Prime Rib (I took advantage of the Shop Rite holiday coupon)
-roasted turkey breast
-Baked Ham
-assorted dried kielbasas
-charcouterie board
-veggie sides
-rye bread
-homemade Polish Babka
-lavish desserts

Oh, and the open bar will be flowing with beer, wine, bourbon, single malt scotch, cognac, & any other favorite libations.
Merry Christmas my friends!

Reaction Score
Bring it back. It might be tough the first year or two but your family will appreciate it. I brought my family’s Christmas Eve back and it’s better than ever. Do it.
It was the maternal side of the family that enjoyed the seafood. My grandparents, mother and her siblings. And they're all gone.

My siblings and most of their children have no desire for seafood other than clam strips and tuna. I was the only one that enjoyed it besides my mother in my immediate family.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The wife and I are musicians so its a very busy time of year. She played this afternoon. Tomorrow she will play the 9 AM mass with her choir singing and Christmas Day is a repeat of Sunday.

Christmas dinner is spaghetti with homemade meatballs, hot Italian sausage and green peppers. Of course garlic bread and a salad - probably a Caesar. The wife will have Chardonnay and I will have Heaven's Door bourbon.

Christmas Eve - no idea yet.

Reaction Score
Daughter is hosting both Christmas Eve (my family) & Christmas Day (Wife's family & Son-In-Law's family)
Christmas Eve is traditional Polish (Wiglia) fare:
-3 varieties of pierogi (farmers cheese, sauerkraut, Cheddar & Potato)
-pickled herring
-rye bread
-lavish charcouterie board
-homemade Polish Babka
-assorted veggie sides
-a fish dish
-abundant desserts (holiday cookies, cakes etc.)

Christmas day
-Black Angus Prime Rib (I took advantage of the Shop Rite holiday coupon)
-roasted turkey breast
-Baked Ham
-assorted dried kielbasas
-charcouterie board
-veggie sides
-rye bread
-homemade Polish Babka
-lavish desserts

Oh, and the open bar will be flowing with beer, wine, bourbon, single malt scotch, cognac, & any other favorite libations.
Merry Christmas my friends!
We never had white bread in the house unless my mother or grandmother made it.

Reaction Score
Holy crap. I saw this in NY at my grandmothers house in the Bronx and almost freaked out. I was very very young, came running out and yelled “there’s a huge black fish in your bathtub grandma!”

Reaction Score
It’s great, except my vegan/anorexic sister-in-law damper the food experience for everyone, so I counterbalance it out by overeating to make a poInt
Does she shout from the rooftops every 10 minutes to remind everyone that she is VEGAN!!!

Reaction Score
It’s great, except my vegan/anorexic sister-in-law damper the food experience for everyone, so I counterbalance it out by overeating to make a point.

Vocal vegans are the friggen' worst. My favorite is my SIL who is a "healthy" vegan but smokes a pack or more a day and is rarely not buzzed, but claims "it's just wine!"

My wife's family is terrible on every conceivable level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom