OT: - Chris Mullin out as Head Coach of St. Johns | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Chris Mullin out as Head Coach of St. Johns

Reaction Score
I personally think this P5 narrative vs. the Big East or American is a little over exaggerated unless you’re talking about the top P5 programs. St. John’s has more basketball history than Arizona State. Moreover, the Northeast is Bobby Hurley’s home so why would this move being so shocking? Whether St. johns will be able to fund the buy out is another question altogether.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I really hope it's not Bob. Would hate to have two Hurley's recruiting New York and New England.
Look, man. The ONLY thing to fear is fear itself.

We got the better Hurley.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yeah that’s annoying if they don’t pursue because their brother is already recruiting a kid.

Danny Hurley: "Well, LaQuinlon. It was great talking with you and I will see you at the Keds Strawberry Pulp Jam!!"

LaQuinlon Effervescence: "Thanks a lot coach. Yup."

[ three minutes later, phone rings]

LaQuinlon Effervescence: "Hello?"

Bobby Hurley: "Hello LaQuinlon!!" It's Coach Hurley...I just met you at the King game."

LaQuinlon Effervescence: "Didn't you just call me 10 minutes ago?!?"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tabor, but Dan Hurley probably isn't going to want to be taking BH's kids.

I think Tabor is still in high school. The transfer that just committed is Ian Steere, a 6'9", 260 pound power forward that played one game at NC St. and then decided to sit out the rest of the year. Rated #140 last year.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I think Tabor is still in high school. The transfer that just committed is Ian Steere, a 6'9", 260 pound power forward that played one game at NC St. and then decided to sit out the rest of the year. Rated #140 last year.
I was thinking Tabor will likely decommit given the coaching change.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought Ewing would flop too, although he seems at least a little committed to being a college coach. I suspect Mullin was looking for an excuse to get out.

Depaul and St. Johns should be perennial tournament teams with the local talent they have. They could lose the top 10 players in their respective cities, and still have enough top talent to put together a good squad. There is no excuse for either team to ever suck.

Reaction Score
Bobby might stay at ASU and establish a winning program; just a matter of time til the Duke job opens up.

Reaction Score
Justin Simon would be a good fit for a grad transfer for us. Simon is a really good defender at the 3. Average offensive player, but after seeing how much better Tariq Owens looked like with a real coach this year, I wouldn't rule out a big jump for Simon either. Jalen Adams and Sid Wilson are friends with him (Brewster kids), so there's a potential draw there as well.

Reaction Score
Andy Borman from Rens is at top of their assistant coaching list with Bobby coming on board. Tabor stays and helps them in Kuminga race.

Reaction Score
Legit could have had Scottie Lewis, Bryan Antoine, Jalen Gaffney and Aidan Igiehon at St. John's if they hired Rice as an assistant. What a dumb move by St. John's.

Reaction Score
I thought Ewing would flop too, although he seems at least a little committed to being a college coach. I suspect Mullin was looking for an excuse to get out.

Depaul and St. Johns should be perennial tournament teams with the local talent they have. They could lose the top 10 players in their respective cities, and still have enough top talent to put together a good squad. There is no excuse for either team to ever suck.

Ewing had earned a reputation as a worker in Orlando and Charlotte, but that doesn't always translate to college.

Reaction Score
Why would Hurley leave for a place where he is going to struggle to be successful. It isn’t 1963 anymore. St Johns isn’t going to be a national power anymore. Hurley knows it. St Johns actually knows it too. The only people who don’t are some Boneyarders who think it’s still 1994 and St Johns is still a big name.

Reaction Score
Adam Zagoria@AdamZagoria
@RealPitino⁩ tells me he ‘would bring ⁦@StJohnsBBall⁩ to the elite level’ not seen since Lou Carnesecca.
10:17 AM - Apr 9, 2019

D3t6VsyWAAANgei.jpg

Reaction Score
Bobby Hurley has a bright future. Maybe he's looking to move east, but if I'm him I keep building my own resume and then maybe become coach at Duke after Coach K leaves. Why would you want to coach at St. John's? You could argue that Seton Hall has been more successful area team over the last 35 years. I mean, if you really want a step up, go take the UCLA job.

Reaction Score
Why is Mark Jackson never mentioned for consideration?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom