Chong and Stokes | The Boneyard

Chong and Stokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Both had opportunities handed to them on the proverbial silver platter today. Neither did much with them. Hope that changes...the opportunities aren't going away anytime soon.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I thought they played solidly, but Chong didn't knock down any of her shots and Kiah seemed to defer to Stef and Stewie. Still, when you have basically 4 AA's on the court at the same time (I consider MoJett an AA, Bria, Stef and Stewie), you aren't going to get your number called much...

Reaction Score
I thought Kia looked at the basket a bit more today and took a couple of shots and will take more as her playing time without a doubt increases. Saniya a little different case as she still is tentative looking for her own offense. But as a point guard when you see stef, stewie, bria and mo out there it is easy to see a freshman still being a little starstruck out there and not ready at the moment to assert herself with her AA teammates. This will also change as time goes on as this kid will be a terrific player for us and the reason I know this is that Geno said so.

Reaction Score
Both had opportunities handed to them on the proverbial silver platter today. Neither did much with them. Hope that changes...the opportunities aren't going away anytime soon.

I hate negativity but it seemed to me that both Kiah and Chong disrupted whatrever offensive flow we had. They both had several chances to make entry passes but were a split second too late or telegraphed them.

Reaction Score
I hate negativity but it seemed to me that both Kiah and Chong disrupted whatrever offensive flow we had. They both had several chances to make entry passes but were a split second too late or telegraphed them.

Have to agree. I thought Chong hung around the perimeter too much and when she did get a pass she dished it right to someone else. She missed a couple shots and perhaps got discouraged. Kiah was not exactly a force either. All this against a pretty poor opponent. Still time though for both of them to emerge.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Defensively they were both great. Re watch the game and watch their defense. One other point. How many turnovers did they have? Scoring points is the second part of the game. Defense and running offense smoothly is the first part.

Reaction Score
Sonia still seems a little gun shy. This was a physical game with a good defensive team so maybe it was a little tough for her. She'll be fine. I like her intelligence and intensity.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Kiah was moving around great in the 1st half and had a few really aggressive rebounds including that spectacular one with about 6 min to go in the 1st half. She swooped in under the hoop and was able to get it to Stewie for a three. There were also a few silly turnovers from her plus a time or two where the ball slipped out of her hands. She still has it in her for great play on defense. I hope to see more of the last few minutes of the 1st half Kiah. Still rooting for her like crazy.

Reaction Score
Need a fifth shooting threat out there to keep the pressure off the others. Soniya was decent on defense, but they weren't even guarding her on offense. She has to become a threat like early in the season to earn a player to guard her and keep a double off her teammates. She's capable, but need to express her deadly intent to earn a defender. Got some time to work on it tho.

Was happy to see Geno starting her and letting her get some court time.

I think Sonia is a nice name too (Henry). It's not too common a name, Soniya. Do we know how she pronounces it? I've never heard her take on it. Does she emphasize the i before the y? Sometimes Americans will drop the i or y. Western culture would demand the i and y pronounced separately.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I thought generally USF played very good perimeter defense - no one was getting really open looks from the arc and unlike a lot of teams their help defense off screens and in the paint was solid. most of the lanes that opened up to the basket were closed quickly - Moriah got blocked once and forced into a turnover a second time going to the hoop - not something that she is used to having happen. USF is also a strong rebounding team - blocking out well on the defensive end.
I though Stokes played well. Wasn't that excited about Saniya's play on offense though she was good on defense.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Need a fifth shooting threat out there to keep the pressure off the others. Soniya was decent on defense, but they weren't even guarding her on offense. She has to become a threat like early in the season to earn a player to guard her and keep a double off her teammates. She's capable, but need to express her deadly intent to earn a defender. Got some time to work on it tho.

Was happy to see Geno starting her and letting her get some court time.

I think Sonia is a nice name too (Henry). It's not too common a name, Soniya. Do we know how she pronounces it? I've never heard her take on it. Does she emphasize the i before the y? Sometimes Americans will drop the i or y. Western culture would demand the i and y pronounced separately.

Actually, I don't know how "she" pronounced 'Soniya' - Saniya on the other hand...

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Apparently Geno doesn't agree with some of you guys....

From John A.:

Freshman Saniya Chong started for the first time and played a career-high 37 minutes without scoring. She took just three shots with two rebounds and one assist. “I thought she was great,” Auriemma. “She did nothing to tell me she was overwhelmed. Little by little she will get the hang of it. Right now, the bigness of the situation is weighing on her mind. But she handled herself well and she’ll be better Wednesday [against Central Florida].”

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Apparently Geno doesn't agree with some of you guys....

From John A.:

Freshman Saniya Chong started for the first time and played a career-high 37 minutes without scoring. She took just three shots with two rebounds and one assist. “I thought she was great,” Auriemma. “She did nothing to tell me she was overwhelmed. Little by little she will get the hang of it. Right now, the bigness of the situation is weighing on her mind. But she handled herself well and she’ll be better Wednesday [against Central Florida].”

But then, what does he know, eh?

Reaction Score
It's Saniya!
Chong had an outstanding defensive game. Took only 3 shots.
She has to be more selfish on offense!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01