Chiney's classy comment... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chiney's classy comment...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Did none of you people watch Asjha Jones clear out the entire post with her physical play? How about Tina? Need I mention Bam-Bam Hansmeyer? And Stef isn't exactly a shrinking violet, either. We love Our Girls when they're physical but we call players on other teams punks and dirty. That is a double-standard.

+1

Thanks Nan. I think we tend to look at the positive aspects of "our" teams and tend to forget the negative qualities.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Your comments sound very much like "enabling" and when you rationalize someone's behaviour and justify them, you aren't doing anyone any favors. Duggins to me is a someone who gets away with a lot on the court because she plays with intensity and has an awful lot of talent and is wholesome looking and I think it sucks because it has no place in athletics. There shouldn't be anyone who is allowed to play that type of game without getting called on it. There aren't too many players that have ever played the game harder than Kelly Faris and I don't see her doing any of the stuff that either Duggins does or Chiney did yesterday. You can play hard and play clean and no one or nothing should justify playing any other way.

LOL. First, my comments sound like "enabling" when they have no influence over a player's behavior? Second, I started this mess by suggesting that the referees, the ones who do influence a player's behavior, should stop clothes lining. Third, I guess you're not a big fan of Dolson's. I've watched her come down the floor and, while the action and referee's attention is on the pressing at the other end, deliberately bangs the opposing center in a manner which has to cause bruising. I've seen the UConn women grab many a shirt, which is more deliberate than Ogwumike's clothes lining, even though I think Ogwumike's actions are a much bigger problem that the refs have got to stop.

While some coaches encourage bumping more than they should (which Ogwumike did not do as much as Maryland, Penn State or even Dolson), all coaches want their players to play hard. That first take down by Ogwumike, the rebound over KML, was a foul but an inadvertent result of just going for the ball; the type of effort EVERY coach wants, including from players like Faris. It's up to the refs, more than the coach and certainly more than us "enabling" fans, to manage that, and they should have managed Ogwumike's use of her forearm up high. That does not make her a dirty player any more than Dolson, Charles, Jones, Hansmeyer, et al are dirty players when they intentionally go out of their way to bump an opponent, or any number of UConn players are dirty because they intentionally grab a shirt. One might accuse UConn fans like you of "enabling" our players by claiming they are not physical when they are, but don't you worry, you are not really enabling Dolson's next punishing body blow. That's still up to the refs to control.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
But who is to say that Geno would have been able to make her into a better player? One could say that Geno couldn't develop Charde Houston. She seems to be doing much more as a pro than as a collegiate player.

I understand what you are trying to say - but it just doesn't come off that way, hence the defensive answers.
I understand some may not believe it would be so. I do because of the track record of developing posts that the UCONN staff has. I do believe Tara has developed Chiney I believe it would be different under Geno. I happen to believe her development path would have been parallel to that of Tina. It's a UCONN board I am simply observing what many of us have seen many times before. I did not say better, I, specifically, avoided that type of valuation and there was nothing I said that was B.S. as per cardfan's judgment.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
agree.
Did none of you people watch Asjha Jones clear out the entire post with her physical play? How about Tina? Need I mention Bam-Bam Hansmeyer? And Stef isn't exactly a shrinking violet, either. We love Our Girls when they're physical but we call players on other teams punks and dirty. That is a double-standard.

My thoughts exactly Nan!!!

I was going to say the exact same thing!

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I understand some may not believe it would be so. I do because of the track record of developing posts that the UCONN staff has. I do believe Tara has developed Chiney I believe it would be different under Geno. I happen to believe her development path would have been parallel to that of Tina. It's a UCONN board I am simply observing what many of us have seen many times before. I did not say better, I, specifically, avoided that type of valuation and there was nothing I said that was B.S. as per cardfan's judgment.

I am glad you clarified because I honestly thought the point of your post was that Geno would develop Chiney better (which obviously it wasn't). So I can see how things can be interrupted differently. However, regardless of the basketball sense, I think Chiney is still happier at Stanford because it is a better fit for who she is as a person, not just a basketball player.

I think we all tend to forget that basketball (and other sports that you follow) is just one aspect of these student-athletes lives and while it is important for them to win national championships or become All-Americans, that isn't the only thing. So while some fans are happily gloating that the one thing in common that Nneka and Chiney do have is that they don't have a national championship ring, we forget that basketball isn't the only thing in their life.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. Lol.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I am glad you clarified because I honestly thought the point of your post was that Geno would develop Chiney better (which obviously it wasn't). So I can see how things can be interrupted differently. However, regardless of the basketball sense, I think Chiney is still happier at Stanford because it is a better fit for who she is as a person, not just a basketball player.

I think we all tend to forget that basketball (and other sports that you follow) is just one aspect of these student-athletes lives and while it is important for them to win national championships or become All-Americans, that isn't the only thing. So while some fans are happily gloating that the one thing in common that Nneka and Chiney do have is that they don't have a national championship ring, we forget that basketball isn't the only thing in their life.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. Lol.

Sorry, I needed to correct your post. Now it's better.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I am sure that Chiney is very happy at Stanford. That was never part of my observations. Neither Stanford nor UCONN is for everyone is no school is. I would be among the last people who would ever argue that basketball should be the only thing in any person's life. You have been around long enough I would expect you to know that.

Reaction Score
I see where you're coming from Icebear, but I'm not sure I buy it.

1. I don't think the specific comparison applies. Tina did not have a the ability to consistently go to her left at the same point in her career. Tina made a huge jump in skill level in the summer between her a junior and senior year, but halfway through her junior year had not mastered going to her left to score in the post or really at any point in her junior year. Chiney having to lead a team as junior is a very different situation to Tina being the 2nd best player and 3rd in the pecking order to Maya and Renee as Junior.

2. I don't think there is a significant difference in the ability to teach skills or the skills that they teach between the two staffs as someone that has paid a lot of attention to their program, particularly over the last 5 years. Chiney currently does indeed have the skills to score against Stef including going to her left. She just didn't react well to the pressure of that particular game, and like almost all players she reverted to where she had the most comfort and confidence.

Reaction Score

1. I don't think the specific comparison applies. Tina did not have a the ability to consistently go to her left at the same point in her career. Tina made a huge jump in skill level in the summer between her a junior and senior year, but halfway through her junior year had not mastered going to her left to score in the post or really at any point in her junior year. Chiney having to lead a team as junior is a very different situation to Tina being the 2nd best player and 3rd in the pecking order to Maya and Renee as Junior.

2. I don't think there is a significant difference in the ability to teach skills or the skills that they teach between the two staffs as someone that has paid a lot of attention to their program, particularly over the last 5 years. Chiney currently does indeed have the skills to score against Stef including going to her left. She just didn't react well to the pressure of that particular game, and like almost all players she reverted to where she had the most comfort and confidence.

excellent post Scotter. Chiney's supporting casts in the post were vastly different her frosh, soph and jr. years. Her frosh year, she had Appel, Nneka and Pedersen and last year she had Nneka, who in my opinion was the best post player in the country, yes, over Griner. And now her Jr. , she is asked to carry the load in the paint. I looked her stats each yr.:

Frosh yr.
23.3 mpg
57% FG
62% FT
8 rpg
11.7 ppg

Soph yr
28.5 mpg
58% FG
66% FT
10 rpg
15 ppg

Jr. yr (12 games)
32.7 mpg
57% FG
85% FT
12.8 rpg
21.5 ppg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

1/ is exactly my point, scotter, Geno did not let Tina settle for for being a one directional player. He and the staff made sure she understood why she needed the ability to go left. She took the lesson to heart and developed not just the ability to go left but,also, the 15' face up shot. I disagree that Tina could not finish in the low post in her Jr. year, but, certainly, she couldn't put the ball on the floor and go left. I see all that potential in Chiney and would have loved to watch Geno do that for her, too. Chiney already has a much better handle than Tina ever had. It is an area she has always excelled at in comparison to Tina.

2/ I, intentionally, made no comment about what Tara and staff was or was not doing for Chiney. They were never the point of my comment.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
excellent post Scotter. Chiney's supporting casts in the post were vastly different her frosh, soph and jr. years. Her frosh year, she had Appel, Nneka and Pedersen and last year she had Nneka, who in my opinion was the best post player in the country, yes, over Griner. And now her Jr. , she is asked to carry the load in the paint. I looked her stats each yr.:

Frosh yr.
23.3 mpg
57% FG
62% FT
8 rpg
11.7 ppg

Soph yr
28.5 mpg
58% FG
66% FT
10 rpg
15 ppg

Jr. yr (12 games)
32.7 mpg
57% FG
85% FT
12.8 rpg
21.5 ppg

You still don't get it. Nothing I said indicated Chiney wasn't developing, would've been or isn't a tremendous talent. It was only about seeing what Geno and staff would have done with her because of the physical parallels I see between her and Tina's physical gifts. You completely sidetracked it to be about and a criticism of the Stanford staff. It wasn't.

Reaction Score
You still don't get it. Nothing I said indicated Chiney wasn't developing, would've been or isn't a tremendous talent. It was only about seeing what Geno and staff would have done with her because of the physical parallels I see between her and Tina's physical gifts. You completely sidetracked it to be about and a criticism of the Stanford staff. It wasn't.

I got it Ice. I was curious about her stats, so I put them out there. No need to be so defensive. I never bought your comparison of Tina to Chiney because one is a center and one is 4.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I got it Ice. I was curious about her stats, so I put them out there. No need to be so defensive. I never bought your comparison of Tina to Chiney because one is a center and one is 4.
As I said Chiney has been playing the 4 and the 5 but I wasn't addressing the issue of positioning but rather skills and physical style and presence. On a team with an additional center available Tina could well have played more 4 and her development would have been different. With out a doubt context impacts what is needed and what develops.

Reaction Score
As I said Chiney has been playing the 4 and the 5 but I wasn't addressing the issue of positioning but rather skills and physical style and presence. On a team with an additional center available Tina could well have played more 4 and her development would have been different. With out a doubt context impacts what is needed and what develops.

exactly why the comparison to Tina is apples/oranges. Chiney played the 4 her frosh and soph years, and now playing the 5.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geez, ice, let it go. Eventually Cardfan is going to remember Charde Houston went to UConn and will take the argument in a whole different direction.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Charde's situation is vastly different than either Tina or Chiney for very particular reasons.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geez, ice, let it go. Eventually Cardfan is going to remember Charde Houston went to UConn and will take the argument in a whole different direction.
Maybe, eventually, cardfan will assume everything said on this board is an attack on Stanford, too. She constantly forgets it is a UConn board and. of course, we are likely to favor UConn over Stanford but not everything is about Stanford or a criticism of their staff.

Reaction Score
It is bull. You expect me not to be defensive, and have the nerve to tell me to stop it stop it after put down Tara and Stanford for not developing Chiney more at this point. That's hogwash. Go back and see the number of great posts and forwards Stanford has developed over the years.
cardfan - isn't it evident that every player in america would be better off being coached by geno? :) as silly as that bias is, when uconn pounds your team by 26, you just have to swallow the bile.

Reaction Score
Maybe, eventually, cardfan will assume everything said on this board is an attack on Stanford, too. She constantly forgets it is a UConn board and. of course, we are likely to favor UConn over Stanford but not everything is about Stanford or a criticism of their staff.

I don't ever forget that this is your board, which you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom