Chiney: Basketball Players Hate UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chiney: Basketball Players Hate UConn

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Actually what she said is a huge advertisement for UCONN basketball. Everyone knows they are the best. But "the players aren't even cocky", and it's "basically like playing a pro team".

That means no matter how much talent Geno recruits, he recruits good kids who are team players, and that the coaching is so phenomenal that it makes the players so good it's like playing a WNBA team. One of the best ads for UCONN hoops from a non-UCONN alum I've ever heard!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Talking about envy! The thing that drives me nuts, and since I'm already nuts so it's a short drive, is when watching a NYY vs Red Sox game from Fenway Park and the Sox fans start chanting "Yankees Suck!" Since the Red Sox have 9 Championships to NY's 27, if the Sox win the next 18 Championships in a row they can only TIE NY at 27! So obviously the Sox fans yelling "Yankees Suck" want their Red Sox to suck as much as the Yankees do! Just saying!
UCONN is treated much the same way!
A little OT but IMHO there isn't enough Red Sox/Yankee hate. Remember the 70's. the brush back pitches, the dugout clearing brawls? Heck you don't even need to go back that far. Remember this Varitek ARod exchange?
arod-varitek-yankees-red-sox-brawl.jpg

(Okay, possibly not the best example because everyone hates ARod, even his own teammates, but you get the idea)

That, my friend, was a rivalry. I miss the days of genuine dislike between teams.

Reaction Score
A little OT but IMHO there isn't enough Red Sox/Yankee hate. Remember the 70's. the brush back pitches, the dugout clearing brawls? Heck you don't even need to go back that far. Remember this Varitek ARod exchange?
arod-varitek-yankees-red-sox-brawl.jpg

(Okay, possibly not the best example because everyone hates ARod, even his own teammates, but you get the idea)

That, my friend, was a rivalry. I miss the days of genuine dislike between teams.

CL82- - Phil Rizzuto must be turning in his grave! When he was announcing he'd yell when a player got a hit and was at 1st talking to the 1st baseman of the other team! "What are they talking about? They're the ENEMY and you hate the enemy!"

Reaction Score
It is not always with ease Broadway. Just ask KML, Faris, or Chong. Those are the most recent ones. There may be others. However, I have seen where WNBA coaches have said Uconn players are more pro prepared than many other players from other schools.
You are correct, of course, those you mention and others didn't "slide" into the WNBA --they may have made the WNBA easier than others--but they struggled a bit, that's true. You mentioned 2 that gave me a surprise that they even made the WNBA--had they played for nearly any other team --they 'd be lobbists in the state legislature.

Reaction Score
I translated hate to envy and jealousy.
I dunno. I hate Tennessee, and pretty sure there is nothing there to be envious or jealous of. Or ever was. Ever. Way back when, we beat them the first time we ever played, and we beat them for the NC the second time we ever played. TN was never ahead in our head-to-head record. Never.
"Hate" in sports is usually a begrudging sign of respect
Although it could have some origins in something along the lines of "respect" (gag), I'm pretty sure that respect no longer exists. And I still hate them.
What I really hate is when the sports teams I hate get so bad that its hard to hate them anymore.
Dunno about that either. Tennessee got so bad as to not be any type of threat - any way, shape or form. And I still hate them.

I think we should allow that in sports sometimes there can be just pure, genuine hate.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I dunno. I hate Tennessee, and pretty sure there is nothing there to be envious or jealous of. Or ever was. Ever. Way back when, we beat them the first time we ever played, and we beat them for the NC the second time we ever played. TN was never ahead in our head-to-head record. Never.

Although it could have some origins in something along the lines of "respect" (gag), I'm pretty sure that respect no longer exists. And I still hate them.
Dunno about that either. Tennessee got so bad as to not be any type of threat - any way, shape or form. And I still hate them.

I think we should allow that in sports sometimes there can be just pure, genuine hate.
I would like your post 100 times if I could. Tennessee could to 0-1,000 for the next 25 years and I'd be thrilled. I will never root for them to have any kind of success and don't feel sorry for them in the least.

Reaction Score
I doubt Chiney hates Uconn --it's like me since the Fab 5 came along Mich are the teams I love to hate--why? They were so dominant. However, unlike Uconn the brought their flaunting to an art form. I, am/was an ND fan for year, but in the race for the NC --I dislike everything ND or Green, starting to feel the same about USC. Now the Miss st thing--I cannot pull up enough to even moderately dislike Miss St--it was a one shot.
I'm sure Chiney and nearly ever top WCBB team hate the thought of playing a Geno team--you may get embarrassed by 30 point--it doesn't matter that Geno doesn't play to the score--but to you the score is embarrassing. I supposed that could create a certain hate.
I still like ALL Stanford players--they play to win.
Mississippi State beat Uconn and South Carolina never did and wont this year!

Reaction Score
She most definitely lacks both the tact and maturity of her older sister (and playing ability when push comes to shove). Classic case of "foot in mouth" - - - - - - - - note to me: probably should have said Nike instead of foot!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You are correct, of course, those you mention and others didn't "slide" into the WNBA --they may have made the WNBA easier than others--but they struggled a bit, that's true. You mentioned 2 that gave me a surprise that they even made the WNBA--had they played for nearly any other team --they 'd be lobbists in the state legislature.
Agreed. The two to which I believe you are referring surprised me by making a WNBA team. That's a result of very good coaching, putting what was learned from that coaching and determination from the players, imo.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I believe one of the most impressive statements an opposing player can make is that in spite of Uconn's success, their players are not cocky or arrogant. That is a huge positive. Arrogance is turning me off in men's sports and some women basketball players are starting to emulate the men. Just saying

Reaction Score
She didn't say UConn's FANS aren't cocky or arrogant. We definitely have that reputation.

I don't know about that( uconn fans being cocky). Certainly it doesn't seem to be so for fans at the final fours over the years. Yes opponents seem to feel overwhelmed by our numbers of fans. Tennessee fans always are arrogant. Maybe UCONN fans are older in general, but I've never seen or heard that at final fours. What I have heard is surprise at how UCONN fans cheer opposing players in introductions and for great plays or great players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe one of the most impressive statements an opposing player can make is that in spite of Uconn's success, their players are not cocky or arrogant. That is a huge positive. Arrogance is turning me off in men's sports and some women basketball players are starting to emulate the men. Just saying
The credit of the NON arrogant attitude goes to Christine Dailey--she puts on a charm school on how a Uconn player MUST act and talk and dress. Early on those who go before a TV camera --you shall note--all know the right words to speak to the media.
That is no accident--that is training and program demanded.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State beat Uconn and South Carolina never did and wont this year!
Son of a Gun---USC didn't beat UConn for the NC in 2017?? You got to be kidding this kidder. Memory isn't great but I was sure Aja got 32 points in the win and Danger was the top rebounder for Uconn with 15--
Obviously you are pulling my legs---not too hard on the left one --it's all mechanical.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
WHY would you not hate any team who always beats you? I was a Brooklyn Dodger fan.
WHY did I hate the New York Yankees?

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Heard Chiney Ogwumike on ESPN radio this morning. Her co-host asked her whether the players hate UConn. She hemmed and hawed, and claimed she had to have her Connecticut (Sun) hat on, etc. But he prodded, and she finally said that, yes - everybody hates UConn. After she fessed up she got more enthusiastic about it. Said what really pisses you off is the UConn players aren't even cocky or arrogant. But you're basically playing a "pro team."

When asked whether UConn is "bad for the game" she gave a definitive, "No." Said the only way we could have had such a great final 4 this year - to experience the extreme joy in seeing UConn get beat - is for UConn to be so dominant.

She did issue a disclaimer.clarification: She LOVES the STATE of Connecticut. It's only UConn she hates.
Churlish Chiney

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Churlish Chiney

Chiney is not Churlish. She says "Everyone–What's a softer word for hate? Everyone dislikes Uconn. It's bad because they tend to say that Uconn's bad for the game because everyone dislikes Uconn. NO! Everyone dislikes Uconn because they just can't beat them. It's motivation for us, so yeah, it's Uconn vs the the world of women's basketball." (then she is asked if they are cocky) she responds by saying "No! that's the thing. They aren't cocky, they are just that much more talented..."

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Moreover, in re: "hate" and Chiney:

Chiney already qualified her usage of the word "hate" quite well, but let's not forget also that upon fouling out of a Stanford-UCONN game a while back she promptly went over to the Connecticut bench and gave Geno a big hug! It was surreal, and hilarious. IIRC, Geno didn't know what hit him - he just had a big grin on his face.

Clearly Chiney does not "hate" UCONN or its coaches/players at a personal level, at all. It's purely a competitive thing, a psychological thing for motivation, etc. Chiney is a classy and ebullient young woman whose positive bearing shows up in everything she does.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
What I really hate is when the sports teams I hate get so bad that its hard to hate them anymore.

For me this is so true. Some Steelers' fan expressed his opinion that Baltimore vs. Steelers was the big Steelers' rivalry for him. Another fan with great fervor stressed Cleveland was and is the big rivalry. The Cleveland Clowns? For me there has to be competition for a rivalry to exist. You are right!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom