Chiney: Basketball Players Hate UConn | The Boneyard

Chiney: Basketball Players Hate UConn

Reaction Score
Heard Chiney Ogwumike on ESPN radio this morning. Her co-host asked her whether the players hate UConn. She hemmed and hawed, and claimed she had to have her Connecticut (Sun) hat on, etc. But he prodded, and she finally said that, yes - everybody hates UConn. After she fessed up she got more enthusiastic about it. Said what really pisses you off is the UConn players aren't even cocky or arrogant. But you're basically playing a "pro team."

When asked whether UConn is "bad for the game" she gave a definitive, "No." Said the only way we could have had such a great final 4 this year - to experience the extreme joy in seeing UConn get beat - is for UConn to be so dominant.

She did issue a disclaimer.clarification: She LOVES the STATE of Connecticut. It's only UConn she hates.

Reaction Score
Not really surprising. You hear it all the time, in many sports. People/fans hate the Teams they ( or their Teams) can't beat, ...or don't think they can beat... such as:
- the Yankees (pick the era) (except of course NY Fans)
- the Steelers (played in 8 superbowls, won 6 of them) (except of course Steeler fans)
- The Patriots because of their Division/Conference and Super Bowl successes, and some unique run-ins with the rules (but NE Patriots fans LOVE their team)
- Duke men's basketball because of the success they have had... and some players that just make people mad
- USSR Olympic Hockey Team - until the Miracle at Lake Placid
- Alabama College Football
- and so on...

It's a fact, the Teams (or Programs) that have consistent success, that play at the top level of their sport, game after game, year after year, just aren't appreciated (i.e., loved) by those outside that Team's Fan base. IMHO... those that appreciate the game being played well, played with precision, played with Team work, discipline, and unselfishness displayed by the UCONN Womens Basketball Teams will love the way they play... and until they either "convert" to being UCONN fans, OR...and this is a BIG OR... their Team starts to play to UCONN's level... well, they will "hate UCONN"... it's normal because they want their teams to win.

Reaction Score
Talking about envy! The thing that drives me nuts, and since I'm already nuts so it's a short drive, is when watching a NYY vs Red Sox game from Fenway Park and the Sox fans start chanting "Yankees Suck!" Since the Red Sox have 9 Championships to NY's 27, if the Sox win the next 18 Championships in a row they can only TIE NY at 27! So obviously the Sox fans yelling "Yankees Suck" want their Red Sox to suck as much as the Yankees do! Just saying!
UCONN is treated much the same way!

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
What I really hate is when the sports teams I hate get so bad that its hard to hate them anymore. In college football for years I rooted for my teams (Missouri, Connecticut, Navy, and a couple others) and rooted against the two most arrogant teams -- Notre Dame and Texas. But for the last few years they've both gotten so bad that it's not that much fun to root against them. Same with the Dallas Cowboys. And the Celtics. And how about the Lady Vols? Even they're no fun to hate anymore.

I'm probably going to have to pick some new teams to hate. In college football I'm thinking maybe Alabama and Ohio State. Of course I hate the Patriots, so I'll always have that, LOL.

Reaction Score
Said what really pisses you off is the UConn players aren't even cocky or arrogant. But you're basically playing a "pro team."

Must be REALLY frustrating to keep losing to nice folks! "Pro Team"???? Only in the sense that maybe that's the only way she can rationalize not being able to beat them. No, it's just a once in a lifetime combination of the right coaches having the freedom to build a program from the ground up, the way they want, and having the ability to both sell their vision and deliver on the promise....year after year after year after year.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Heard Chiney Ogwumike on ESPN radio this morning. Her co-host asked her whether the players hate UConn. She hemmed and hawed, and claimed she had to have her Connecticut (Sun) hat on, etc. But he prodded, and she finally said that, yes - everybody hates UConn. After she fessed up she got more enthusiastic about it. Said what really pisses you off is the UConn players aren't even cocky or arrogant. But you're basically playing a "pro team."

When asked whether UConn is "bad for the game" she gave a definitive, "No." Said the only way we could have had such a great final 4 this year - to experience the extreme joy in seeing UConn get beat - is for UConn to be so dominant.

She did issue a disclaimer.clarification: She LOVES the STATE of Connecticut. It's only UConn she hates.
I've no problem with what she said. The chief enemy of better is best. Not the other way around.

Reaction Score
Must be REALLY frustrating to keep losing to nice folks! "Pro Team"???? Only in the sense that maybe that's the only way she can rationalize not being able to beat them. No, it's just a once in a lifetime combination of the right coaches having the freedom to build a program from the ground up, the way they want, and having the ability to both sell their vision and deliver on the promise....year after year after year after year.
Chiney did elaborate a little on her "pro team" comment. She said when they (Stanford) played UConn they had maybe one future WNBA draft pick (Chiney, presumably), and "UConn had 5 top 5 picks."

This would have been the 2012 early-season game where Stanford was ranked #1, had just beaten Baylor, and had an 82-game home winning streak going - hard to have too much sympathy. But UConn was ranked #2 (until after the game) and we had Dolson, Hartley, Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck and Mosqueda-Lewis, so I kind of see her point.

Reaction Score
Not really surprising. You hear it all the time, in many sports. People/fans hate the Teams they ( or their Teams) can't beat, ...or don't think they can beat... such as:
- the Steelers (played in 8 superbowls, won 6 of them) (except of course Steeler fans)
- The Patriots because of their Division/Conference and Super Bowl successes, and some unique run-ins with the rules (but NE Patriots fans LOVE their team)
- Duke men's basketball because of the success they have had... and some players that just make people mad
- and so on...

It's a fact, the Teams (or Programs) that have consistent success, that play at the top level of their sport, game after game, year after year, just aren't appreciated (i.e., loved) by those outside that Team's Fan base. IMHO... those that appreciate the game being played well, played with precision, played with Team work, discipline, and unselfishness displayed by the UCONN Womens Basketball Teams will love the way they play... and until they either "convert" to being UCONN fans, OR...and this is a BIG OR... their Team starts to play to UCONN's level... well, they will "hate UCONN"... it's normal because they want their teams to win.
The difference is that all those others were bought. Including Duke MBB and Alabama FB.

Reaction Score

I doubt Chiney hates Uconn --it's like me since the Fab 5 came along Mich are the teams I love to hate--why? They were so dominant. However, unlike Uconn the brought their flaunting to an art form. I, am/was an ND fan for year, but in the race for the NC --I dislike everything ND or Green, starting to feel the same about USC. Now the Miss st thing--I cannot pull up enough to even moderately dislike Miss St--it was a one shot.
I'm sure Chiney and nearly ever top WCBB team hate the thought of playing a Geno team--you may get embarrassed by 30 point--it doesn't matter that Geno doesn't play to the score--but to you the score is embarrassing. I supposed that could create a certain hate.
I still like ALL Stanford players--they play to win.

Reaction Score
Talking about envy! The thing that drives me nuts, and since I'm already nuts so it's a short drive, is when watching a NYY vs Red Sox game from Fenway Park and the Sox fans start chanting "Yankees Suck!" Since the Red Sox have 9 Championships to NY's 27, if the Sox win the next 18 Championships in a row they can only TIE NY at 27! So obviously the Sox fans yelling "Yankees Suck" want their Red Sox to suck as much as the Yankees do! Just saying!
UCONN is treated much the same way!
The thing about growing up in Ct is that you were either a Yankee Fan or an Red Sox fans--and the twains could never meet. I was a Yankee and Dodgers fan long before I met my NY Queens wife. Dominance creates envy, envy starts dislike--go from there. Uconn isn't always dominant--but it just seems like that.

Reaction Score
Chiney did elaborate a little on her "pro team" comment. She said when they (Stanford) played UConn they had maybe one future WNBA draft pick (Chiney, presumably), and "UConn had 5 top 5 picks."

This would have been the 2012 early-season game where Stanford was ranked #1, had just beaten Baylor, and had an 82-game home winning streak going - hard to have too much sympathy. But UConn was ranked #2 (until after the game) and we had Dolson, Hartley, Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck and Mosqueda-Lewis, so I kind of see her point.
The PRO TEAM comment is a tribute to the Geno methods--he creates Pros--(even Saniya) who jump into the deep water of the WNBA and swim with the best, with ease. Many Pro coach have commented on how well prepared Uconn kids are for the WNBA.

Reaction Score

Whoa, Chiney..........too bad you lack the maturity, tact (and also the playing ability) of your sister. Classic - - "Open Mouth, Insert Foot" (in this case, probably a Nike!).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Whoa, Chiney.....too bad you lack the maturity, tact (and also the playing ability) of your sister. Classic - - "Open Mouth, Insert Foot" (in this case, probably a Nike!).

If you follow the PODCAST through, further clarifications occur

1) Around the 50 minute mark, she says her mindset is to hate every team they play . (Maybe a little overkill?)

2) Around the 54 minute mark, when asked why she "hates" UConn. Are they rubbing it in?, the quote was.

" No, they re not arrogant at all, They are just so good"

3) It is great for the game. That's what made the Final 4 so memorable. I bet even you guys watched. Just like Alabama losing.

How much clearer can you be.

Reaction Score
What I really hate is when the sports teams I hate get so bad that its hard to hate them anymore. In college football for years I rooted for my teams (Missouri, Connecticut, Navy, and a couple others) and rooted against the two most arrogant teams -- Notre Dame and Texas. But for the last few years they've both gotten so bad that it's not that much fun to root against them. Same with the Dallas Cowboys. And the Celtics. And how about the Lady Vols? Even they're no fun to hate anymore.

I'm probably going to have to pick some new teams to hate. In college football I'm thinking maybe Alabama and Ohio State. Of course I hate the Patriots, so I'll always have that, LOL.

Reaction Score
- and so on...

That looks like the Rupert covered bridge?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Chiney is a smart gal and I always enjoy listening to her. Of course UConn is "hated". It has what no one else has, consistent excellence. Broadway is right. There is college ball and pro ball AND UConn in between. May it ever be so!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The PRO TEAM comment is a tribute to the Geno methods--he creates Pros--(even Saniya) who jump into the deep water of the WNBA and swim with the best, with ease. Many Pro coach have commented on how well prepared Uconn kids are for the WNBA.
It is not always with ease Broadway. Just ask KML, Faris, or Chong. Those are the most recent ones. There may be others. However, I have seen where WNBA coaches have said Uconn players are more pro prepared than many other players from other schools.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the additional info.....in that context I'd says her point is pretty valid, at least for that year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom