Chillious recruiting connections | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Chillious recruiting connections

Reaction Score
Have to say I have no idea how this stat is realized? We were dreadfully consistent with the lob to our 5 who couldn't pass. If you weren't holding your breath overtime they lobbed it on from under their own basket you weren't watching closely. There were some very good plays run from the side in though which is strange.

Yeah I never would've guessed that. Always seems like we never get an easy hoop off our inbounds plays. But however they calculate it, were good at it I guess.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
He recruited and helped develop IT and Fultz.

Good reputation. Expectations are high. Results tbd

Thanks but I know that. I went to this thread thinking it would have something to do with the thread's title. But no luck. Thought I would learn what kids he is connected to.

Reaction Score
Ummm, No. UConn didn't do anything in 2012. That's going back 6 seasons. If you want to extend it back to 2011 and 7 seasons, that's too far back to have any real bearing on the current state of the program.

Nova has made the tournament 5 straight years and is usually ranked. When compared to UConn's record over the same span, there is a pretty big disparity. This has to have an effect on recruiting and perception on a national level. Nova is clearly in a much better place than UConn right now having won 149 games over the past 5 years compared to UConn's 113 wins during that span. Use 1 year, 3 years, or 5 years and you will see by any objective measure Nova has been the better program.

Use the years that make UConn look horrible and UConn looks horrible. Genius.

Reaction Score
Use the years that make UConn look horrible and UConn looks horrible. Genius.

Take your pick, 1 year, 3 years or 5 years and look for yourself. Thats the entirety of KO's tenure or as short as last season. You pick. Nova has simply been better over any of those stretches. Doesn't make me a genius, just makes me aware of the facts.

Reaction Score
Thanks but I know that. I went to this thread thinking it would have something to do with the thread's title. But no luck. Thought I would learn what kids he is connected to.

Excellent point David76 - So here are a couple for you:

1. Chillious has significantly enhanced our recruiting connection to Luguentz Dort, a 6'4" shooting guard, born in Canada now playing in Orlando, Florida. He is a solid 4* who on the 247 Composite is ranked as high as # 17 (Rivals #38). There is another thread started earlier this evening stating that Kevin Ollie was watching his AAU game tonight. From the articles quoted we are one of the eight to 10 schools at the top of his list "recruiting him the hardest". As was stated on that thread, Dort is right in the top tier of our 2018 recruiting wish list... which is great with me because he is tough and fearless - the kind of characteristics we all love to see in our players, particularly our guards.

2. Coach Chillious is also the reason we are on Isaiah Mucius' list, a 4* 6'8" Small Forward/Wing from the St. James School in Hagerstown, Maryland. Chillious has strong contacts in the Maryland/D.C. area, in addition to other places.

Figure that you will see more recruits mention Chillious by name when UConn is connected to them during and right after the July recruiting period.

I hope this helps, for starters.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Thanks Studmuffin!
Isn't he also the reason we were so close with Wilson too?

Reaction Score
While it's great being one of 10 schools recruiting Dortz or Mucius, Chillious was brought in to close on these type of players which given his hype, pedigree, and UCONN's brand he should be able to. I like Chillious and think he will add more to our staff than Killings, but this is a results oriented business.

Let's hope he can because relying on transfers, and Chippola College for recruits is not going to cut it for us. We need a big 2018 recruiting class for sure, and more than anything we need to close not come second or third fiddle and pat ourselves on the back for it.

Reaction Score
Take your pick, 1 year, 3 years or 5 years and look for yourself. Thats the entirety of KO's tenure or as short as last season. You pick. Nova has simply been better over any of those stretches. Doesn't make me a genius, just makes me aware of the facts.

I did take my pick. 7 years.

UConn is better.

Reaction Score
Thanks Studmuffin!
Isn't he also the reason we were so close with Wilson too?

Yes. Things had cooled between us and Wilson until Chillious got here and helped to move us into that 3-horse race. As Huskymagic is saying though, there are no prizes or points for 2nd place in a recruiting race.

While it's great being one of 10 schools recruiting Dortz or Mucius, Chillious was brought in to close on these type of players which given his hype, pedigree, and UConn's brand he should be able to. I like Chillious and think he will add more to our staff than Killings, but this is a results oriented business.

Let's hope he can because relying on transfers, and Chippola College for recruits is not going to cut it for us. We need a big 2018 recruiting class for sure, and more than anything we need to close not come second or third fiddle and pat ourselves on the back for it.

Huskymagic, my reply to David76 made no point to support Chillious for getting us into the top 10 with Dort, Mucius or anyone else. I was just sharing information to help answer David's good question that was trying to get this particular thread back on track to what was, you know, the original OP of the thread.

I do agree that we can not begin to judge the results of Chillious' hire until we see what happens with this and next year's recruiting classes. I believe that virtually all of us hope he proves to be the step up we need to bring our across-the-board talent level and depth back to where we all want it to be.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't measure the success of the season relative to Cincy. I have much higher expectations than that given the 25 year run the program had from 1990 through 2014. I use the last three seasons because they are the most recent and most relevant in terms of the program's current place on the national scene. If a program spends the majority or entire regular season unranked, it certainly has a huge effect on an ncaa bid and seeding.
Holy overreaction. I honestly don't see how anything he said in that bolded and blue text was in any way factually incorrect. Maybe it could be phrases more politely but does that warrant this kind of reaction? He clearly explained his reasoning that UConn has over 25 years of success to logically and rationally be able toset his standard and relative expectation for the future. Winning the conference tourney in 2016 didn't undo an entire season of underperformance, and he is also 100% correct that underperformance results in unfavorable seeding. We had to play the #1 overall seed in the second game and we just weren't manned for that task, these are all facts. Do you seriously go off on someone who is reasoning his post that wasn't hostile or even aimed at you just to earn some brownie points here? Kind of pathetic.

I'm down with high expectations. I always have them for my teams [the difference with me is that I don't piss and moan so much when they don't meet them].

But I do think people have to recognize that the 'realistic' level UCONN can reach will not be as high as the JC years. It's conference yes, but more that, as we all know, JC is truly an all time coach. A legit argument for a Top 5 ever coach. I mean, who, from ALL candidates in the country, could deliver those results? K? Cal? Roy? The only one I'd truly bet on would be K.

If you are expecting JC-like results, you will perpetually disappointed. That's a guarantee.

Reaction Score
I'm down with high expectations. I always have them for my teams [the difference with me is that I don't piss and moan so much when they don't meet them].

But I do think people have to recognize that the 'realistic' level UConn can reach will not be as high as the JC years. It's conference yes, but more that, as we all know, JC is truly an all time coach. A legit argument for a Top 5 ever coach. I mean, who, from ALL candidates in the country, could deliver those results? K? Cal? Roy? The only one I'd truly bet on would be K.

If you are expecting JC-like results, you will perpetually disappointed. That's a guarantee.
My only expectation is that the team competes for a regular-season title in the AAC and makes the tournament most years and is relevant on the national level. That's all I expect. I don't think that those are unrealistic expectations given the 25-year run of the program from 1990 through 2014.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score

But I do think people have to recognize that the 'realistic' level UConn can reach will not be as high as the JC years. It's conference yes, but more that, as we all know, JC is truly an all time coach. A legit argument for a Top 5 ever coach. I mean, who, from ALL candidates in the country, could deliver those results? K? Cal? Roy? The only one I'd truly bet on would be K.

Again, another point being missed. At no point was JC level accomplishment even mentioned.

But I do know one thing as a fact. Finishing 6th place in the AAC and having 10 loss season after 10 loss season is NOT the answer to your "If you are expecting JC-like results" statement. That would mean a title every 4 years, and I don't think a single poster, even the most negative, has ever expressed that requirement.

Reaction Score
You are incredibly obtuse. I have no idea how you make it through the day.

Yes, because I don't excel at cherrypicking stats like you. Everyone wants to forget the national championship in 2014. It just doesn't exist. Oh yeah.

Great Jay Wright finally finally finally got his team to play past the first weekend (after decades) and then he reverted to form.

Reaction Score
Yes, because I don't excel at cherrypicking stats like you. Everyone wants to forget the national championship in 2014. It just doesn't exist. Oh yeah.

Great Jay Wright finally finally finally got his team to play past the first weekend (after decades) and then he reverted to form.
It's the years after the championship we all want to forget.

Reaction Score
Obviously it's very early, but can a top recruiter have a worst start at a program than Chill has had?

I'm definitely not in the "this is fine" crowd but Chillious basically jumped on a ship that was not sinking - it had crashed on the rocks and was engulfed in flames while being looted. I didn't expect a hell of a lot from him in terms of spring signings - I don't even know how you sell kids on this dumpster fire, although a kid being willing to spend 4 years in Lubbock, Texas rather than come to UConn is troubling. If next season's recruiting follows suit then you can take all the shots you want.

Reaction Score
I'm definitely not in the "this is fine" crowd but Chillious basically jumped on a ship that was not sinking - it had crashed on the rocks and was engulfed in flames while being looted. I didn't expect a hell of a lot from him in terms of spring signings - I don't even know how you sell kids on this dumpster fire, although a kid being willing to spend 4 years in Lubbock, Texas rather than come to UConn is troubling. If next season's recruiting follows suit then you can take all the shots you want.

They have 12 months to turn it around. If not, Chillious may be swept out the door along with KO. It took some balls for him to jump into this situation, but he needs to start showing results.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Again, another point being missed. At no point was JC level accomplishment even mentioned.

But I do know one thing as a fact. Finishing 6th place in the AAC and having 10 loss season after 10 loss season is NOT the answer to your "If you are expecting JC-like results" statement. That would mean a title every 4 years, and I don't think a single poster, even the most negative, has ever expressed that requirement.

Point definitely not missed.

And clearly, I never stated the bold above. Nor would I think that. It's not one or the other, but somewhere in between.

JC level accomplishment would be 3 NCs in 25 years. That's out of reach. A number of posters have expressed the idea that Ollie should compare to JC's early uconn years. I don't agree.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No

Please tell me how using KO's full 5 years or any consecutive number of years within that timeframe is cherry picking. You can't possibly be serious in thinking that UConn is currently the better program when Villanova has been to the NCAA tournament the past 5 years and UConn has only made it twice in that span and hasn't even won one NIT game in its lone appearance in that tourney.

Reaction Score
It's the years after the championship we all want to forget.

No, actually, plenty of you leave out the national championship when comparing Ollie's record against others. Almost like opposing fans would. It happens repeatedly by a certain segment of the fanbase. This is just yet another example.

Reaction Score
No

Please tell me how using KO's full 5 years or any consecutive number of years within that timeframe is cherry picking. You can't possibly be serious in thinking that UConn is currently the better program when Villanova has been to the NCAA tournament the past 5 years and UConn has only made it twice in that span and hasn't even won one NIT game in its lone appearance in that tourney.

NIT doesn't matter. I compared UConn to Villanova over 7. Regardless, you even count the year UConn was banned as a mark against them. Ridiculous.

And, for the record, I never said UConn has been better than Villanova the last 3 years. I only said the detractors like yourself always cherrypick dates. You can go back 7 years and UConn's ahead.

As for Jay Wright, he did great in that one year. Normally, he goes out first weekend. Just like last year. This is his MO. Even with high seeds, he departs the NCAAs early.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
No, actually, plenty of you leave out the national championship when comparing Ollie's record against others. Almost like opposing fans would. It happens repeatedly by a certain segment of the fanbase. This is just yet another example.
I just don't see how a title in 2014 has any bearing or impact in the 2017-18 season. This is college athletics, each season is independent of the success of the previous ones, especially when it was 4 years ago and the entire roster has turned over. You keep bringing up 2014, but you aren't really saying how that is going to help get us out of the current ditch we are in, and the tide is coming in fast.

A recent title helps when you have a coaching staff that can sell it and compound that success. Unfortunately we don't have that with Ollie at the moment. If you disagree, please show me how UConn capitalized on the 2014 title going forward? A program of that caliber "that just won a title in 2014" wouldn't lose players to transfers the way we did. Entire freshman classes and starting centers don't just hit the road like that, I mean, why didn't anyone sit them down and remind them about 2014?

I am sitting here trying to think of reasons that support the statement "we aren't struggling and underperforming because we won a title in 2014", and I really can't come up with anything of substance to back it up, because it's nothing more than nostalgic fan hoorahs.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom