Chillious recruiting connections | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Chillious recruiting connections

Reaction Score
And yet, even with the seed they got, they advanced further than Cincinnati.

It's a better season when you win the conference tourney and advance further.

Also, isn't it convenient to say 2 out of 3 seasons have been outside the NCAA when you could easily have said 2 out of 4 have been in the NCAAs, or that 3 out of 5 have been at least NCAA worthy? Why paint it in the worst possible light?

Last year was a huge disappointment, but as for 2015, the talent just wasn't there.

I don't measure the success of the season relative to Cincy. I have much higher expectations than that given the 25 year run the program had from 1990 through 2014. I use the last three seasons because they are the most recent and most relevant in terms of the program's current place on the national scene. If a program spends the majority or entire regular season unranked, it certainly has a huge effect on an ncaa bid and seeding. The seed we had in 2016 despite winning the conference tournament (when smu was ineligible by the way) resulted in an early matchup with Kansas and we got trounced.

You can wave your pom poms all you like, but the fact remains that UConn won't return to being relevant nationally until it puts together strong regular seasons and corresponding runs in the NCAA tourney. Neither of these things have happened in the last three seasons.

Reaction Score
I don't measure the success of the season relative to Cincy. I have much higher expectations than that given the 25 year run the program had from 1990 through 2014. I use the last three seasons because they are the most recent and most relevant in terms of the program's current place on the national scene. If a program spends the majority or entire regular season unranked, it certainly has a huge effect on an ncaa bid and seeding. The seed we had in 2016 despite winning the conference tournament (when smu was ineligible by the way) resulted in an early matchup with Kansas and we got trounced.

You can wave your pom poms all you like, but the fact remains that UConn won't return to being relevant nationally until it puts together strong regular seasons and corresponding runs in the NCAA tourney. Neither of these things have happened in the last three seasons.

If you want o put things in the worst possible light, by all means, then arbitrarily cut things off at 3 seasons.

The discussion was about Cincy having more success than UConn. If you want me to respond to something else, I will.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We often have this discussion on here. Fact is, these two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Let's get 25+ wins, 1st/2nd in conference, and deep tourney runs. At the same time. Every year.

I mean, you play to win the game.

Reaction Score
We often have this discussion on here. Fact is, these two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Let's get 25+ wins, 1st/2nd in conference, and deep tourney runs. At the same time. Every year.

I mean, you play to win the game.

Got it. Do some things that were incredibly difficult even for Calhoun.

I certainly have a lower bar than many here.

Reaction Score

I'm not taking sides in this, just pointing out the conference was much more difficult for Calhoun.

That said, I agree with a bar lower than 1/2 "every" year, but certainly higher than 5th/6th "most" years.

Reaction Score

You have so much fun with this it's ridiculous. The "..(smu was ineligible by the way) resulted in an early match up with Kansas and we got TROUNCED" is really pitiful. To call yourself a fan is hilarious. I mean I get the opinion you have of the last 3 years but the way you continuously pound it into oblivion should be embarrassing to you but I am sure it's not. You are a fan I assure, if you can call someone who loves his teams "demise" in his eyes. Ok I get it!

Reaction Score
You have so much fun with this it's ridiculous. The "..(smu was ineligible by the way) resulted in an early match up with Kansas and we got TROUNCED" is really pitiful. To call yourself a fan is hilarious. I mean I get the opinion you have of the last 3 years but the way you continuously pound it into oblivion should be embarrassing to you but I am sure it's not. You are a fan I assure, if you can call someone who loves his teams "demise" in his eyes. Ok I get it!

Ok, Stairmaster. I hope you continue to enjoy those 5th and 6th place finishes in the AAC and losing to teams like East Carolina. I have much higher expectations for this once elite program.

pj

Reaction Score
Ok, Stairmaster. I hope you continue to enjoy those 5th and 6th place finishes in the AAC and losing to teams like East Carolina. I have much higher expectations for this once elite program.

So do we, but we also recognize that the program is currently overcoming the residual effects of sanctions and rising KO's learning curve as a head coach. If the AAC can establish itself as a competitive league on the level of the Big East -- and why not? UConn, Cincy, SMU, and Temple would have been top programs in the Big East -- then there's no reason UConn shouldn't meet the highest expectations.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So do we, but we also recognize that the program is currently overcoming the residual effects of sanctions and rising KO's learning curve as a head coach. If the AAC can establish itself as a competitive league on the level of the Big East -- and why not? UConn, Cincy, SMU, and Temple would have been top programs in the Big East if you compare records over the last 15 years -- then there's no reason UConn shouldn't meet the highest expectations.

what?

pj

Reaction Score
what?

Took out the time frame. Just note that UConn is at least Nova's equal, Cincy has made the NCAA tourney 7 straight years with never less than 22 wins in that span, and some other AAC schools are competitive. The non-Nova East -- Butler, Xavier, Georgetown, Providence, Creighton, Seton Hall, Marquette, St John's, Depaul -- is good but definitely not out of reach of a number of AAC programs. Wichita State has outperformed nearly all.

Reaction Score
Took out the time frame. Just note that UConn is at least Nova's equal, Cincy has made the NCAA tourney 7 straight years with never less than 22 wins in that span, and some other AAC schools are competitive. The non-Nova East -- Butler, Xavier, Georgetown, Providence, Creighton, Seton Hall, Marquette, St John's, Depaul -- is good but definitely not out of reach of a number of AAC programs. Wichita State has outperformed nearly all.

I agree with that. I didn't know that was the point you were making.

But yeah, the current big east is definitely somewhat better than the aac right now, but it's not that big of a gap and certainly on a completely different level like the acc or big 10. We just need the bottom dwellers to get their acts together.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score

I like your enthusiasm, but UConn is nowhere near Villanova currently even if we include UConn's 2014 national championship season. Nova has been in the tournament all 5 of the past 5 seasons, has also won a national championship and is ranked in the top 25 most of the time. UConn has only made the tourney twice in that span and is hardly ever ranked except for in pre season polls. If UConn can get back to that level in the near future, I will be thrilled.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I mean, why not set a high bar? If you miss, maybe you end up higher than you would otherwise. It's on the fans heads to not cry like babies when you do.

Remember, winning this league is not like winning the BE. If UCONN is annually fielding a quality squad, they should win it most years.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm not taking sides in this, just pointing out the conference was much more difficult for Calhoun.

That said, I agree with a bar lower than 1/2 "every" year, but certainly higher than 5th/6th "most" years.

I'm saying that's what you shoot for. Of course you are going to miss...and have some down years mixed in. We should be in league contention most years. As you say, it's not strong league at all.

I can see us not making big tourney runs every year, only some, and I'm OK with that aspect.

I'd like to be playing in the tournament annually however. That's my ultimate baseline. 5 of 6 years in the dance.

Reaction Score
I mean, why not set a high bar? If you miss, maybe you end up higher than you would otherwise. It's on the fans heads to not cry like babies when you do.

Remember, winning this league is not like winning the BE. If UConn is annually fielding a quality squad, they should win it most years.

I'm just not this hung up on winning the conference regular season. Yeah, I don't want to finish 6th, but with unbalanced schedules and the like, it means relatively little to be tied with the team next you in the regular season standings. Tourney counts more. It always has. Even according to the conference.

But, to go back to the post I was responding to, it said "deep tourney runs" every year.

That is an incredibly high bar.

Reaction Score
I like your enthusiasm, but UConn is nowhere near Villanova currently even if we include UConn's 2014 national championship season. Nova has been in the tournament all 5 of the past 5 seasons, has also won a national championship and is ranked in the top 25 most of the time. UConn has only made the tourney twice in that span and is hardly ever ranked except for in pre season polls. If UConn can get back to that level in the near future, I will be thrilled.

Or, you can go back 6 years instead of 5, you have 2 national championships for UConn, 13 NCAA victories, while Villanova has 1 championship, 9 victories.

Villanova has only advanced beyond the first weekend once in that time.
UConn has advanced beyond twice, and this occurred in a period when UConn was banned for APR one year (when it should have been a tourney team), and also docked scholarships. Not to mention players were given a free pass to leave without sitting a year.

Reaction Score

You're whacked. I hate those 5th and 6th place finishes as does everyone else but they don't hang their hats on all the negative BS. I think I've seen them win and became very tough on even Calhoun during NIT or down seasons. And this one was maybe the worst ever but it's over nothing anyone can do but hope it changes. Certainly doesn't so any good to continue the negative onslaught you have enjoyed over the last 6-7 months that's for sure. I mean you do realize you hardly ever say anything positive, if you have? Amazing.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

God forbid you include the 2014 NC season. And if you did include it you would say "...horrible regular season, won the AAC tourney and if it wasn't for Brimah we should've been out against St Joes" Good?

That would be way too positive and we're on your timeline of "3 horrendous years" anyway because that's how you roll.;)

Reaction Score
Or, you can go back 6 years instead of 5, you have 2 national championships for UConn, 13 NCAA victories, while Villanova has 1 championship, 9 victories.

Villanova has only advanced beyond the first weekend once in that time.
UConn has advanced beyond twice, and this occurred in a period when UConn was banned for APR one year (when it should have been a tourney team), and also docked scholarships. Not to mention players were given a free pass to leave without sitting a year.

Ummm, No. UConn didn't do anything in 2012. That's going back 6 seasons. If you want to extend it back to 2011 and 7 seasons, that's too far back to have any real bearing on the current state of the program.

Nova has made the tournament 5 straight years and is usually ranked. When compared to UConn's record over the same span, there is a pretty big disparity. This has to have an effect on recruiting and perception on a national level. Nova is clearly in a much better place than UConn right now having won 149 games over the past 5 years compared to UConn's 113 wins during that span. Use 1 year, 3 years, or 5 years and you will see by any objective measure Nova has been the better program.

Reaction Score
God forbid you include the 2014 NC season. And if you did include it you would say "...horrible regular season, won the AAC tourney and if it wasn't for Brimah we should've been out against St Joes" Good?

That would be way too positive and we're on your timeline of "3 horrendous years" anyway because that's how you roll.;)
I did include the 2014 season. If you actually read my posts you would see that I included 2014 so as to include UConn's best season under KO in the comparison.

And I certainly don't place any disclaimers on the 2014 championship or the excellent job KO did in his 20 win first season. He did a great job those two seasons. No argument. But the results the past three seasons have been mediocre at best by any objective standard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I did include the 2014 season. If you actually read my posts you would see that I included 2014 so as to include UConn's best season under KO in the comparison.

And I certainly don't place any disclaimers on the 2014 championship or the excellent job KO did in his 20 win first season. He did a great job those two seasons. No argument. But the results the past three seasons have been mediocre at best by any objective standard.

Mediocre at best is correct. Needs to change.

I'm done here. Let's move on

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Thanks. That's crazy. Well good for us then!

I followed up and said I didn't have the stats for it so I could be wrong which I obviously was.

Have to say I have no idea how this stat is realized? We were dreadfully consistent with the lob to our 5 who couldn't pass. If you weren't holding your breath overtime they lobbed it on from under their own basket you weren't watching closely. There were some very good plays run from the side in though which is strange.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Holy overreaction. I honestly don't see how anything he said in that bolded and blue text was in any way factually incorrect. Maybe it could be phrases more politely but does that warrant this kind of reaction? He clearly explained his reasoning that UConn has over 25 years of success to logically and rationally be able toset his standard and relative expectation for the future. Winning the conference tourney in 2016 didn't undo an entire season of underperformance, and he is also 100% correct that underperformance results in unfavorable seeding. We had to play the #1 overall seed in the second game and we just weren't manned for that task, these are all facts. Do you seriously go off on someone who is reasoning his post that wasn't hostile or even aimed at you just to earn some brownie points here? Kind of pathetic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom